GoPro Forums banner

Will the 3rd party silicon lens caps for the Hero 8 also fit the Hero 9?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  kmoulds 
#1 ·
Hello all

I just bought a new Hero 9 and wish to protect the lens.

Will the 3rd party silicon lens caps for the Hero 8 also fit the Hero 9? Simply are the dimensions for both models lens the same?

Cheers Kym

#2 ·
I don't have a Hero 8 any longer to check and compare but as the Hero 9 lens protrudes a lot more, since it is replaceable, I would personally look for a specific Hero 9 version since you will get one with a better, and more secure, fit. The Hero 8 lens housing was much more shallow.

Nevertheless, the Hero 9 lens housing is 31.5 x 31.5 x 5mm
I think @Fish still has his Hero 8 so may be able to provide dimensions to see if they are similar......

#3 ·
Thanks mate for the reply. Yes, I just wanted one of those cheap and nasty silicone rubber type of lens cover to protect the lens when I don't have it in a housing as such. There's nothing really on the market at present but I'm sure that something will come along shortly.

P.S. Keeps the You Tube vids coming as they are great.

Cheers Kym

#4 ·
I know what you mean, at the moment I keep mine in the case that it came in, within the card tray that was inside, just like new!
The case is nice, but they could have supplied some of those Velcro dividers - if I take out that card tray I don't want to throw all my stuff in with the camera 'just in case', so a lens cap would come in quite useful in that regard!
I thought about cutting the card tray in half - that way I can keep the camera in it on one side, and then put some more accessories in the extra space on the other side.....

#11 ·
this is a lot cheaper if that is what you're just after

even less

and can not get any cheaper then this

#12 ·
the problem with the first 2 you listed is you have to use the rubber hero9 cover for the cap to fit. It won’t fit on the lens with the naked hero9. the last one you found might be good. I bought a cheap one on ebay but it wouldn’t stay on the lens. It covered it but would slowly slip off. placing the hero9 in my bag, the cap would just fall off. The glass cover I now have sticks and is very protective. it was worth the expense for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.