GoPro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new Hero3 black edition this afternoon. So far I haven't had any of the problems I see others complaining about but I have a complaint of my own...

I did the software update manually so I had to enter the serial number of the camera. Later, while checking out the video header I noticed a familiar looking number. Sure enough, the camera is putting its serial number into the videos.

I've been burned by problems with mistaken identity before so I admit that I am, in the opinion of some, overly sensitive to privacy concerns. So I can't help but wonder, am I alone in thinking this is unnecessary and problematic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Serial Number in Header?

Hi Gary

I have just had my GoPro Hero 3 HD Black stolen along with other camera equipment. I didn't record the serial number and have been unsuccessful in recovering any registration info from GoPro, though it has to be said they were exceptionally helpful. I have checked previously downloaded videos with the Exif tool and couldn't see any serial number info. Could you tell me how you were able to see the serial number in the header? I am desperate to get this serial number to the Police to help track down these people who thought it OK to break in to someones camper van while they are sleeping. I would be very grateful if you can help and I guess to answer your question, I can see some value in embedding the serial number into videos.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't know the exact reason they do it.

I do not think it's for theft prevention and I do not think your identity will be stolen :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I know this is a bit on but i bought a gopro without a serial number and i am also wondering how to find it via the video. Can you please help out if you found yours. I have the hero silver3+ if that changes anything

·
Registered
79 Posts
Alright, someone please tell me where you are finding serial numbers in videos shot with a GoPro? I checked on several videos by right clicking on the file, clicking on the "details" tab and still see no serial number, lots of other details though. Played several tapes and still see no serial numbers. Also did this on stills shot with the GoPro and see no serial numbers.
What am I missing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serial No.

Hi all!

My gopro 3 just got stolen yesterday. And the police were wanting a serial number for it so that if it was found and the number matched I could get it given back to me.

I'm just wondering what were my options for finding my serial number?

On the box? Gopro App registration?

Would love any help!!! THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Serial No.

Hi all!

My gopro 3 just got stolen yesterday. And the police were wanting a serial number for it so that if it was found and the number matched I could get it given back to me.

I'm just wondering what were my options for finding my serial number?

On the box? Gopro App registration?

Would love any help!!! THANK YOU!!
HI!
A friend of mine is just in the same situation.
His Hero 3+ got stolen and we tried to find a serial number. That's how i got here.
Finally I was able to find it! In Total Commander click on a video (recorded with the camera) and "Lister"
In the 4th line i found the SN!

PS: (I tried it with a HERO4 too but in that case the file doesn't contain the SN.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
dude, this was 6 years old topic, i doubt the OP cares any more

1 - 12 of 12 Posts