GoPro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

New here. Please look at my video link and tell me why my video looks so grainy. It was shot in 1080P on the Hero 10. Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,686 Posts
Please tell us the actual settings you set up. not just 1080P, what protunes did you choose the delay is takingforever t see,

Reactions: mauiwh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is usually down to YouTube's compression algorithms.
Does it look Ok when you play back on your computer natively?
This is usually down to YouTube's compression algorithms.
Does it look Ok when you play back on your computer natively?
The actual video on my computer looks a little better, but still shows some gaininess, more than I would expect from 1080P. I understand the Youtube thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please tell us the actual settings you set up. not just 1080P, what protunes did you choose the delay is taking forever t see,
I have changed my settings since then so I cannot tell you what is was set at. The most I remember was 1080P 30 Frames. I don't know what protunes are?

·
Administrator
2,986 Posts
I get the same when I upload any fast moving footage to YouTube - was never able to resolve it even though I tried exporting my project in different bit rates etc - although I read YouTube compression algorithms are different for 4K video and they come out much better - never tried though....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since you no longer know what attitude you had, I can only tell you which attitude I use to achieve the best results:
Regardless of the resolution - I prefer 2k7 - 50/60 FPS and high bit rate. I also keep the sharpness high and only reduce it in low light.
When publishing on YouTube, I export the video after editing with my editing program (DaVinci) as MOV instead of MP4 - both with H265. YT seems to make a difference! Compression artifacts are always clearly visible with MP4 - especially at lower resolutions up to 1920x1080!
With MOV, no such artifacts can be seen even with only FullHD.

·
Administrator
9,686 Posts
The video is 9 min 15 sec, the rest is the cause of the issue, I suggest reloading correctly , you are at high noon, as the SUn is bright and clear as day., 45 minute clip will take days to convert with youtube.

suggest to simply do a shorter clip 2 minutes, normal speed, at 4K and post the next day. and you see a night and day difference

Reactions: mauiwh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you no longer know what attitude you had, I can only tell you which attitude I use to achieve the best results:
Regardless of the resolution - I prefer 2k7 - 50/60 FPS and high bit rate. I also keep the sharpness high and only reduce it in low light.
When publishing on YouTube, I export the video after editing with my editing program (DaVinci) as MOV instead of MP4 - both with H265. YT seems to make a difference! Compression artifacts are always clearly visible with MP4 - especially at lower resolutions up to 1920x1080!
With MOV, no such artifacts can be seen even with only FullHD.
Thank you!

·
Administrator
2,986 Posts
When you upload in 1440p and above YouTube uses the VP9 codec - this is the higher quality codec that you need for higher quality video.

I was also getting a ton of grain and blackness in my videos, but they seem to look a lot better when you upload in 4K.......

I uploaded the below in 1080p originally and it was very blocky.
Re-uploaded in 4K and its much better then it was before.......

It takes a LOT longer to process the HD video in YouTube though!

Footage from DJI Action 2.
Select to view in 4K:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts