GoPro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See the video in the link:

Every few seconds this TV static looking flicker would interrupt the footage. This has been happening for a little while now, although the footage interruptions haven't been as bad after some time. I shot 1080p 30fps on a hero 9 with a U3 extreme sandisk micro SD.

Any help on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,220 Posts
Switch off Hypersmooth.

While Hypersmooth is fantastic at smoothing out footage, its very aggressive, and is designed for forward moving motion. It locks onto static areas of the frame in order to stabilize the remainder of the frame around it. So it may lock on to an item in the distance as its 'subject' and then move the frame around in order to provide the smoothing effect.

The problem with this is when you are panning with the camera it is continually trying to lock onto areas of the frame, hence as you pan you get that jittery motion where its trying to stabilize, but then releases that locked portion and moves to another.....if that makes sense......

Had the same issue with the Hero 7 and 8, and because of how Hypersmooth works, it'll be the same with the Hero 10 too.....
For panning shots, you want a gimbal...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Switch off Hypersmooth.

While Hypersmooth is fantastic at smoothing out footage, its very aggressive, and is designed for forward moving motion. It locks onto static areas of the frame in order to stabilize the remainder of the frame around it. So it may lock on to an item in the distance as its 'subject' and then move the frame around in order to provide the smoothing effect.

The problem with this is when you are panning with the camera it is continually trying to lock onto areas of the frame, hence as you pan you get that jittery motion where its trying to stabilize, but then releases that locked portion and moves to another.....if that makes sense......

Had the same issue with the Hero 7 and 8, and because of how Hypersmooth works, it'll be the same with the Hero 10 too.....
For panning shots, you want a gimbal...

I appreciate your reply, but sorry, 'static' might not have been the right word. I meant the issue sort of looked like TV static.

Every few seconds there is literally a white flash just like TV static on the footage. Below is a more clear example (hopefully) of what I'm talking about. I'm really curious about the cause of this problem because it hasn't always been like that.

It seems to really become clear when you watch it in 1080p.

Interestingly enough, turning off hyper smooth did remove these consistent flashes, but I was hoping I would still be able to use the GoPro with hyper smooth and not get the interruptions.

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
think about your shot you got a lot of ground showing and some sky that can cause shutter issues. I start adjusting the spot meter, known today as Exposure lock, also shutter speed, can be adjusted, then look into your flicker rater. not all have these issues.

·
Administrator
3,220 Posts
I see what you mean now.
I would try another memory card first - although SanDisk Extreme is a perfect card for the GoPro there are plenty of fake clones around with lower speeds.....could the data rate not keeping up.....

If not then looks like it could be a lens issue - I cant think of any setting that would cause that.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.