GoPro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the last firmware update I now have something called Pro Tune. What is this and what does it do?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jim,
Watch this youtube

Jim,
Watch this youtube video. Should answer your questions.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
Protunes and Gopro joined

Protunes and Gopro joined forces to make the most powerful firmware for gopro ever. cannot use the protune on any other camera, well Cineform you can use on any other vide you own.

You now have a higher bitrate and use more power, more sd card file up and able to color correct your video making crisper, clearer, sharper than ever. So what is protune. just a boost in firmware, nothing more till some issues are resolved , if you truly ask me. I stick with the older firmware, and say thank you

·
Registered
69 Posts
Overall it is the ability for

Overall it is the ability for the of the camera to bridge the gap between analog and digital video and how the captured footage is interpreted and processed during editing or conversion. The Pro Tune firmware also changes the way the CCD in the camera captures color and light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ohh c'mon, there is no CCD in

Ohh c'mon, there is no CCD in this camera.
Still the answer also not clear for. Why should I use Protune mode or why I should not?
I heard only some marketing staff...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Protune is best for people

Protune is best for people who will post process their video. It provides a flatter image, which gives you more detail in the extreme shadows and highlights of an image, instead of clipping them to black and white. It also cuts out the camera's post processing, getting rid of the extreme contrast, sharpening, and noise reduction. The image is kind of washed out and sometimes grainy because of all of this, so you would probably want to use GoPro's Cineform Studio or another video editor to get it looking back to normal. Protune also increases the recording bitrate, which significantly cuts down on the compression blockiness you usually see in very fast motion videos (especially on YouTube). This will allow you to get much higher quality footage in the end than what non-Protune mode can produce, and be able to match it to the output of another camera if you are using more than just GoPros.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a first time user of

I'm a first time user of Gopro, just bought the 3 black edition now.
Should i use Protune or is it to PRO for me?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seems to be like raw on my digital cameras... however every time I try to use it and turn it on - It appears to be un supported. Can I view my BLACK via ipad app "live" view with it? Also if I record with it - I can't play back on ipad. So I'm suspecting it's limited in some ways - then you need to convert with the GoPro software... and well for the little improvement in tone... I find it to limited and a pain in the arse to justify it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Protune is best for people who will post process their video....significantly cuts down on the compression blockiness you usually see in very fast motion videos (especially on YouTube). This will allow you to get much higher quality footage in the end than what non-Protune mode can produce, and be able to match it to the output of another camera if you are using more than just GoPros.
Sounds like something that would work for me. I do a lot of motorsport video work and processing of the video. I was using the older chase cam setup since 07 and last week upgraded to the GoPro Hero 3 - Black.

I haven't used the GP3 yet, and have still to complete the firmware upgrade. Is there any drawback or limitation to Protune?

·
Registered
26 Posts
ProTune is simply GoPro's word for RAW.

Someone here used the word "gobbledygook"...
I'll try to explain w/o the hi-tech talk; though understanding these things makes one a better film maker.

I posted a short test of RAW vs. Gopro's default setting.
http://www.goproforums.com/15-gopro-hd-hero3/8058-promised-gopro-3-raw-testing.html

With any digital sensor, the camera's [software] needs to do some "processing" of some sort. Just how much processing is up to the software engineers. This "processing" handles items such as Exposure, Color level, contrast, Vibrancy, *White Balance*, noise reduction etc... to name a few.

For most users, this processing is OK.

If we take away the camera's ability to "process", lets call it (Pre-Processing) we are left with unmolested, unprocessed video.

This is known in general terms as RAW.
Photographers understand this term well.

So why shoot in RAW video?

I'll cover just a few reasons; perhaps the most important reasons.

1) Exposure.

When we look at a scene we wish to capture, there may be very dark areas and very bright areas.

In digital terminology, all colors are represented by a number.
Pure white is 255 and pure black is 0,0,0..all the other shades of gray are in between somewhere.

If you don't shoot RAW, some of the darkest darks and whitest whites will be [cut off]..clipping. This is because the software engineer made a decision concerning what is and what is not acceptable in a overall scene we wish to capture...probably OK for much of the consumer market companies cater to.

To others, we prefer having more control in our editing.

f/stops. Photographers use this word to describe a level or amount of light entering our camera and striking the *sensor*.

The human eye it has been estimated can capture a range of dark to light in hundreds of f/stops. The digital sensor can't come close to detecting these subtle changes of light. This is known technically as *Dynamic* range.

So, the default GoPro settings may capture 6 f/stops of range.
RAW video (ProTune) can capture 11 f/stops! Big difference.

Once the GoPro camera captures the video, one is pretty much stuck with the way it looks. Sure, one can adjust a few things, but we are degrading the original video by doing this.

RAW is like a blank piece of paper with nothing but a line drawing on it.
It is up to the artist to color it in as he/she sees fit.

Think of a child's crayons. We wanted the box of 128 crayons, not the measly 64 because we could create more colors.

Did you know RAW capture is B&W? Yep. No color in the original capture.
The color is added later thru the use of physical colored filters covering the sensor and some software processing.

RAW gives the user much greater flexibility in making the video look as YOU want it to look without causing degradation.

Boiled down, RAW squeezes out far more data than GoPro's default settings for the user to manipulate w/o degrading the file.

Now for the caveat:

Nothing is free. Few things worth while are free.

RAW editing requires more time to edit since the user has far more options in exposure, color, contrast, white balance etc..etc...

RAW file sizes are much larger.

RAW requires far more time to [Produce] the finished product. (MPEG 4)
So unless you have a computer with video hardware acceleration (great graphics board), good core processing speed; I would probably avoid trying it.

RAW requires a good monitor to see the edits as one is making them.

RAW requires a software editor that can *READ* the RAW file properly and display it accurately.

Is it worth the effort?

No one can answer that but the user. It depends on one's needs.

Does the end product look better when using RAW?

You bet it does in the hands of someone who understands editing the file.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
basically it's the equivalent to shooting flat. the image looks worse than normal but can be processed in post to look better than normal. it's what BBTurbo said, you get the information from the blacks and whites to manipulate as you wish instead of loosing all that data.
only use if if you're into color correction, for which i recommend the free DaVinci Resolve Lite software.

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
any more follow up?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts