GoPro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm using the GoPro camera on an small aircraft (Diamond DA-40) using the suction cup mount. Everything works fine, but the image recorded with the camera is 'wave-like'. For example, see this video here:
especially the parts where flying through clouds (say, starting at 11:00)
a 'wave-like' effect is clearly visible on the video.

I wonder if this is usual in such setups and what the cause could be? Could this be because of vibration related to the suction cup mount?

Akos

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use my GoPro on a racing

I use my GoPro on a racing motorcycle and experience the same thing...but much worse. It depends on where the camera is mounted and what the engine rpm is on the motorcycle which leads me to believe that it is indeed due to vibration. I've been able to work some of it out with the quick release vibration damper and small pieces of paper between the quick release buckle and the mount (adhesive type) but I've never used the suction cup mount. If you can figure out how to dampen some of the vibration I bet it will help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe the issue is indeed

I believe the issue is indeed a motion transfer. However, I am gussing only that it is the fault of the mount and not necessarily something that can't be corrected. When you clamp down your mount, can you test it by pulling on it in several different directions? Any movement at all would likely be amplified in flight where the g-forces and wind butteting is much higher. A little play means a big chance of motion instability or motion transfer. You may post a pic of your suction cup mount and placement on the plane to help determine if there is a better suction cup mount or suction cup placement. There are different mounts than the suction cup and you may do better in going with one of those instead of the suction cup mount. Just because it is GoPro, that does not necessarily mean the mount is the best one out there for the task. Good luck on your fix. Those are some nice videos, despite the shaking. I love the clarity of the clouds shown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions.

thanks for the suggestions. the suction cup mount I use is the 'offical' GoPro version, that comes with the 'automotive GoPro kit'. it's simple mounted on the under side of the wing, which is a smooth surface. after I fix it, I did try to move it into some directions - there is always a little bit of movement, but not much.

it is also visible that the effect is more visible there when ascending or at high speed, and less there when there is lower engine RPM. now the question is, is this vibration due to engine vibration transfered to the camera, or air turbulence, maybe coming directly from the prop.

in any case: would a more rigid fixing help? something closer to a roll bar mount?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can only guess and simply

I can only guess and simply relate to a motorcycle. Low torque and you get a similar thing happening with a GoPro mounted on a motorcycle. Hence the start up shakes in many videos. High wind and you get problems, too. Not sure which you can pin pont to turbulance, but any movement in a suction cup and you probably are going to have problems. Me, I'd play around with a different mounting and see what changes if any there are. Myself, I have had pretty good luck with magnetic mounts, but I have no idea as to how well they would hold with an airplane. My 95 lb. pull one holds very well up to at least 75 mph on my motorcycle. I don't go faster than that, as it is a sidecar rig and a Ural to boot. The problem with a different style mount, as the magnetic mount, is that you may get some rattle. If your not worried over the audio, then that is a non-issue for you. I can't say that the magnetic mounts would be any better for you or not, as I don't do any flying these days. At these two web board forums, there are specific sections addressing mounts and DIY mounts. I have seen some air plane mount configurations there, but you need to check for yourself (Hope I am not in trouble for posting the links to those sites here). Any rate, they may be of help in your particular situation. Like say, I don't fly, so all of my info is actually guesswork from my motorcycle experiences. Good luck on it:

<LINKS REMOVED>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/7719829426/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/7719829164/

I use the GoPro tripod adaptor on this Swann camera, but the nut shown is not necessary, as a shorter 1/4X20 bolt will screw the magnet right up tight to the tripod adaptor. This is only a 65 lb pull magner on the pic shown, but I frequently use a 95 lb. magnet instead.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/7687282626/

The pan and tilt box in this photo is actually pretty heavy. It has the 95 lb. pull magnet holding it on and it worked like a champ in staying in place at any speed. However, I do recommend a tether strap, regardless.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/7464026922/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/7464027278/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/7496472204/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/7417799038/

Hope that helps or gives you some ideas to ponder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the pointers.

thanks for the pointers. unfortunately a magnetic mount wouldn't work in this case, as the airframe of the plane is question is of carbon-fiber, not metal.

but I will look at other forums as well...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oscillation

I believe that you are seeing osicillation of the wing, slight flapping of the wing common on all small planes. Move the mount closer to the Center of gavity of the aircraft. If want to kept the camera on the wing mount it on the wing's centerline the cloaser to the aircraft CG the less oscillation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's 100% vibration, very

It's 100% vibration, very common for those of us that fly cams on our RC copters and multi-rotors. It's critical that all props be perfectly balanced, that's the main source. For vehicles you need an isolating mount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
L_Silvio wrote:I believe that

L_Silvio said:
I believe that you are seeing osicillation of the wing, slight flapping of the wing common on all small planes. Move the mount closer to the Center of gavity of the aircraft. If want to kept the camera on the wing mount it on the wing's centerline the cloaser to the aircraft CG the less oscillation.
this is not the case. the same effect is there if I put the camera on the fuselage (see my note above). thus the issue is with the mounting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you have a wing strut on

Do you have a wing strut on that aircraft you can try mounting the camera to with a tube clamp instead of using the suction cup mount?

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's rolling shutter

The effect is called jello effect or rolling shutter. It happens when the time for the CMOS sensor to scan the image is around the oscillation time (vibration) of the body of the camera. It is most likely coming from engine firing vibrations, and if your aircraft is composite it will transmit vibration really well. The effect will vary depending on lighting conditions. That's why when things get really bright in the clouds, it becomes more prominent.
Mount the GoPro on something to isolate it from the vibrations. I use 2 sided urethane foam, the thicker the better. Replace the adhesive on the sticky base with .25in thick http://www.mcmaster.com/#double-sided-urethane-foam-tape/=jywqql.
Use a safety leash though. I've used a second sticky with a small hole in the side of it to tie fishing line to the GoPro back cover pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tchick wrote:Do you have a

tchick said:
Do you have a wing strut on that aircraft you can try mounting the camera to with a tube clamp instead of using the suction cup mount?
no wing strut on the plane, and the tube clamp doesn't fit unto the gear strut either :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
akos.maroy wrote:tchick

akos.maroy said:
tchick said:
no wing strut on the plane, and the tube clamp doesn't fit unto the gear strut either :(
Any way to make a clamp that would work using a couple radiator type hose clamps around the gear strut holding a plate with a gopro or ram mount ball against the strut? You can use gaffers tape or even rubber from a bicycle innertube under the clamps and plate so it doesn't scratch the gear strut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tchick wrote:akos.maroy

tchick said:
akos.maroy said:
tchick said:
Any way to make a clamp that would work using a couple radiator type hose clamps around the gear strut holding a plate with a gopro or ram mount ball against the strut? You can use gaffers tape or even rubber from a bicycle innertube under the clamps and plate so it doesn't scratch the gear strut.
yes, this is my plan - but I didn't yet get to it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts