GoPro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my GoPro Black 7 in my aircraft. I will take a flight of 30-45 minutes and it splits up the recording into different files on my SD card. I would like to have it record the full flight on one file instead of looking at the various files. Is there a setting for changing this issue or is something up with my GoPro?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, it does not exist. That is also intended! The GoPro is an ACTIONCAM! In the event of a fall, etc. (which can already happen with ACTION) a contact problem with the battery or the SD card could occur and the current recording would be destroyed. Therefore it is split into several files. Then only the last 5 minutes would be lost .... Get yourself a decent video editing program (e.g. DaVinci Resolve or similar) and simply put these "splinters" together.

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
Your camera is acting normally. You can place the files together in any editor and they will link seamlessly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
@ozoffi thats actually only side benefit, real reason is the filesystem used on the sd card, which restricts files to max 4gb size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, it does not exist. That is also intended! The GoPro is an ACTIONCAM! In the event of a fall, etc. (which can already happen with ACTION) a contact problem with the battery or the SD card could occur and the current recording would be destroyed. Therefore it is split into several files. Then only the last 5 minutes would be lost .... Get yourself a decent video editing program (e.g. DaVinci Resolve or similar) and simply put these "splinters" together.
Can this be done with the GoPro software they provide in their app? I have hundreds of videos where they've all been hacked up

Looking to seam them all together then edit them after the fact. In regards to editing is there any software, GoPro included that has a decent tutorial for learning the software?

I've never really sat down and "edited, created, added, removed" anything in regards to creating a video.

I have a daughter graduating next year from high school and have a ton of video, photos that I need to aggregate as she grew up in the digital era.

Something that would be able to pull all the photos, videos in off a hard drive, media cards, etc with little to no interaction would be best as I have many hard drives, media cards that've accumulated this stuff over the past 18years so far (she just turned 18 the other day).. Lol...

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Boznoz
That is not correct! Only applies if the SD card is formatted in FAT32 - larger SD cards over 32GB are formatted in EXFAT and there is no size limit here.
The HERO 8 has LABS firmware with which the length of the files can be increased from 5 to 15 minutes. But just has the disadvantage that, for example. if the camera is supplied externally without a battery and this power supply fails, 15 minutes of video is lost and not just a maximum of 5 minutes ...
I used that and for this very reason set it back to original. It makes no difference whether I merge four 15 minute videos or twelve 5 minute videos.
@DN72
As for the original GoPro software, suppose you mean Quick for PS / Mac? From Hero 8 this no longer works. Can then only automatically copy the files on the PC or upload them to the cloud when the camera is plugged in or the SD card is inserted into an SD card reader.
The Quick Software for PC / Mac is also no longer being developed ... The focus was on the APPs for Android and iOS. But that's not my focus - I only use this APP to control the camera or to make a live stream (which sometimes works well, sometimes not at all).
Therefore my suggestion to use a sensible video editing program. DaVinci would be very professional and even free!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. DaVinci software at first I was thinking there goes more $$$$. Besides Davinci software what would be next best that has regular updates, even if you have to pay $60 per yr. That's not to bad if there's updates rolling out.

On the Davinci being that it's free does the community around that software keep bugs fixed, other things plugged up? With free it always seems to come at a cost which over he last 25+ yrs seems to be advertising but that's really only been mainstream less than 20 on the ads & such.

Looking for something simple like a drag and drop where you bring all the files whether on the timeline or in order you click them and have something like a "merge" button of sorts or something similar.

Nothing worse than some software and the learning curves that they require then you've spent a few hours merging video.

Now with a tutorial I don't mind that if editing a video, cuts, transition, other effects as I expect that has a learning curve and my editing is minimal, just about as minimal as I describe in this reply....🤣😂

·
Registered
517 Posts
@Boznoz
That is not correct! Only applies if the SD card is formatted in FAT32 - larger SD cards over 32GB are formatted in EXFAT and there is no size limit here.
The HERO 8 has LABS firmware with which the length of the files can be increased from 5 to 15 minutes. But just has the disadvantage that, for example. if the camera is supplied externally without a battery and this power supply fails, 15 minutes of video is lost and not just a maximum of 5 minutes ...
I used that and for this very reason set it back to original. It makes no difference whether I merge four 15 minute videos or twelve 5 minute videos.
Thanks for providing elaborate answer.
But thats what i said , in summary. 99% of people that come here and ask this question dont know about the Filesystem restrictions.
My point was that your statement is wrong. You really think gopro cares about the lost footage and thats why it is splitting video files ? lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Boznoz My statement is by no means wrong - this is the official answer from GoPro! Just read the FAQs on GoPro in this regard and assume less that their statement would be wrong ...
By the way, for most questions it would be advisable to read the FAQs on GoPro beforehand - yes, that is quite a hassle ... and find something specific there a challenge ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
@DN72
DaVinci is offered as a free version with many features and receives regular updates.
The only difference to the studio version of around 300 € (to be paid once, updates are free for life!) Is that the studio version offers ALL features and supports NVIDIA graphics cards. So she can, for example. use their H265 codec and are many times faster when rendering an MP4 video with this code! An example: A 35 minutes 2k7 video with an i5 with Intel HD graphics 16GB RAM required 9 (NINE) hours to render in 2k7 as MP4! The same video on a 4-year-old i7 with 32 GB RAM and an NVIDIA 1660Ti with only 6GB VRAM also only needed 40 minutes as MP4 ... With a current AMD Ryzen7 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA RX3070 with 6GB VRAM only 25 at all Minutes!
That's why I opted for the studio version - previously I had supposedly supported MAGIX Video Delux, which also supported NVIDIA - actually never did. Then PowerDirector, which could then really use my NVIDIA, but was still many times slower than DaVinci and the new update had to be paid for every year, or the annual subscription had to be paid ...
Yes, DaVinci has a pretty steep learning curve in comparison ... but there are tons of tutorials in many languages in YT like hardly any other editing program! And once you've understood the principle, it's no more difficult than any other editing program ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Boznoz
@DN72
As for the original GoPro software, suppose you mean Quick for PS / Mac? From Hero 8 this no longer works. Can then only automatically copy the files on the PC or upload them to the cloud when the camera is plugged in or the SD card is inserted into an SD card reader.
The Quick Software for PC / Mac is also no longer being developed ... The focus was on the APPs for Android and iOS. But that's not my focus - I only use this APP to control the camera or to make a live stream (which sometimes works well, sometimes not at all).
Therefore my suggestion to use a sensible video editing program. DaVinci would be very professional and even free!
I am replying here because you seem to be knowledgable. My GP9s are not storing long records, only the first files. As you suggest here I have been formatting large SD cards in EXFAT but my two-hour recordings are not being stored in my GoPro 9s (two identical cameras, SD cards, settings, external large batteries) and I cannot figure out why. GoPro support has no more suggestions for me. The last was to record without the camera battery. I have tried changing from 256gb to 128gb. That is the minimum size bc 128 gets me the 2 hour record time. The cameras are still recording when I hit stop. I wait for a second beep before shutting the cameras down, but the cards contain only the first file, sometimes 4gb but often less. Do you have any idea what is going on? Can these cameras not handle long recordings? I do not care that there ought to be several files. That is better for me, actually, since I edit the footage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've already read about it in the GoPro SupportHUB, but don't know the behavior myself.
Unfortunately, I can only write what support usually writes:
What firmware does your Hero 9 have - is it up-to-date?
Reset your Hero9 to factory settings, remove the battery for a few seconds, format the inserted SD card directly in the camera.
Do not perform a firmware update via the APP but manually.
see: HERO9 BLACK
After a successful update, reset the camera to factory settings again.
As a rule, this should fix various misconduct.
The type of SD card is also important! This must be a UHD-1 V30 card with a WRITE speed of 90mBit (follow the GoPro compatibility information)! Then 5k videos are also recorded without errors.
So make sure when buying that the writing and reading speed is specified as explezit!
You can then also test whether the SD card is defective and copy several 4-5GB files onto it on the PC.
Watch the writing speed - it should be close to 90mbit!

I also recommend configuring the camera so that you don't have the Quickshot function active. But first you have to switch on the camera at the power button and then start or stop the recording using the record button.

In the respective recording mode you can also specify a maximum recording time - deactivate it. Basically use one of the standard modes for testing.

If the max.4GB file splitter is too short for you, you can use one of the current LABS firmware as an alternative to the official firmware - but there is no support for that ...

For long recordings, it is advisable to remove the internal battery and to power the camera from a power bank. In addition, sufficient cooling should be provided so that the camera does not switch off due to overheating. I mounted the camera on a metal base, because the greatest heat on the Hero 8 and 9 is generated by the metal tabs on the underside.

By the way, many questions are answered here in the help articles:
Yes, it's not really easy to find what you're looking for ... ;)
I once "pulled in" the questions in a quiet hour ... and came across interesting answers, the question of which I hadn't even asked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much. I tried all these suggestions, to no avail. So very weird that both cameras would behave this way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts