GoPro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Community,

recently I bought a GoPro Fusion Camera. After having some troubles with getting it connected to the GoPro App and getting Fusion Studio to work (only Ver. 1.1 works fine for me) I still have some questions concerning the output video.

I have to say, that I am using GoPro products since the Hero3 and doing video editing since more than 15 years. I thought I would be able to handle any video editing software - and then the Fusion Studio Software came ;)

When I want to output my video in 5.2k (and getting this high resolution and quality was one of the main reasons for me to buy the Fusion - I dont see any point in downconverting it to 4k) I can only choose between the 2 high-resolution codecs.
Well, I understand that they are used to create video files, that can be further edited in other software. But the output files are about 10 times as big as BOTH original files together. About 7 - 8 GB per minute! Yes. High Quality means high data rate and that means larger files. But that large? This is a theoretical Bitrate of about 1 Gbit/s. Thats not just a bit higher than 4k material. This is ridiculous high.

Since little edits like stabilization, colour correction etc. are already done in Fusion Studio, I would like to just save the files "as they are". In most cases I plan my recordings in a way, that I do not need to cut much scenes. But I dont want to save files, that need nearly 1 TB of disk space for a 2 hours video. So, here is my question:

In what format do you export your 360 video files? If you edit them: what program do you use? I would need a program for Windows since thats my OS. And are you able to export them in 5.2k again with another video codec?
Basically I would just need a kind of converter, that is able to convert those 5.2k 1 Gbit/s *.mov files into (preferably) about 50 Mbit/s *.mp4 files in 5.2k. I am not sure if there is a video codec for *.mp4 that supports 5.2k resolution (maybe h.265?), so I would also be fine with saving them as *.mov again, but not with 1 Gbit/s. Do you have any idea, comment, program or workflow for that?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Marcus

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I still havent got any reply here, I wanted to keep you up to date with my own research concerning my problem.

Using Adobe Premiere it is possible to convert those "high-resolution" videos from the Fusion Studio into 5.2k 60 Mbit/s *.mp4 files with the HEVC (h.265) codec.

However: despite having a computer with an Intel Core i7 8 Core Processor and 16 GB RAM it takes about 2 hours to convert a 20 seconds clip in that way. This means about 6 hours rendering time for 1 minute video. For a 120 minute video it would take me 720 hours (30 days!) of pure rendering time. So this is still a kind of useless solution for me. :|

If anybody has any other ideas, please let me know :smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts