GoPro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the GoPro HD Hero2 motorsports kit along with the Wi Fi Combo Kit. I am interested in mounting the camera on the hood of my car in order to avoid windshield obstruction and to be able to operate it from inside the car. I am brand new to this and am seeking any advice about how to insure that the camera remains mounted safely. Also interested in opinions about what settings to use. 720/30? 960/48? I admit to lacking knowledge in this area so any explanation of the various settings would be very helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll let someone else address

I'll let someone else address the best settings, as I only have a HERO 960 and I keep it on the one button mode. You may consider magnetic mounts and can find some DIY photos and explanations in the mounts section here. I like the 95 lb. pull magnets, but Harbor Freight sells the 65 lb. pull ones which work well at various speeds. An aluminum bar and a Super Clamp work well, too. Lots of options for mounting, but with any mount, still always use a tether strap. Fishline is cheap, but a camera is not. The GoPro suction cup mounts seem to be having problems with failures and some wobble lately. On the other GoPro sites, this is a topic of discussion. I am no real fan of suction cup mounts, as I have had too many fail over time. The magnetic mounts just work better for most of my video projects.

Good luck in what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Motorsport Edition

I've used the suction cup w/o fail. just make sure the surface is smooth and clean and it will hold. I've tested it on the highway for an hour drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ahreff, I use the GP on the

ahreff, I use the GP on the car as well in numerous SCCA events. I chose to use wrist remote so I am not always seeing my "mug" when I lean over to turn on prior to run. That is why also I wanted iphone app to also utilize a view from phone. Some issues with connectivity with this however. Still trouble shooting. Only prob with hood, roof, fender, etc. mounting is not security with cup, but wind noise. Although I do edit with audio/music after, nothing beats the sound of your engine input, but wind wins. I have experimented with some trunk mountings, just looking forward down side, and this help bring engine sounds up to compete with wind. Video is awesome however, I at times will run a continuous loop in garage when having a guy's day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts