GoPro Forums banner

Upgrade from hero 4 black to hero 6 or buy gimbal ?

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)

I'd like to know what you think about this: should I upgrade my gopro hero 4 black for the hero 6 (I like the waterproof without housing, the stabilization and why not the super slowmo) or should I just buy a gimbal (was thinking about the Zhiyun Evolution) to have a better stabilization ?

I mostly use my gopro to make some travel videos, sometimes sport like skiing and horse riding. I'm not sure about what I should do, I also don't want to buy the gimbal if I'll upgrade soon and probably won't need it anymore since there's a good stabilization on the 6.. But the 6 is still pretty expensive, so i'm not sure i'll buy it so soon..

Thanks for any advices from you guys! Enjoy your weekend

·
Administrator
9,730 Posts
I found using just the camera more starts to win me over. I can say a lot about good and bad. but every one has different tasites if asked

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, for the price of either good versions, you can buy a good 360 videocamera that has better stabilization built in. Some waterproof as well. So don't limit yourself to just those two choices.

I've stayed with my 3+BE and bought a Removu S1 gimbal. I also use it with a Removu P1 and M1/A1 unit. I don't mind the housing and never have.

Had the 4K at 30fps been available, as it probably is in your 4, I would have bought that first, but timing wasn't on my side. Other than the 4K, I don't really see all the advantage of the 6 and from what the reviews suggest, its stabilization still doesn't compare with a true gimbal, plus its sound kind of sucks compared to your 4. In fact, your 4 may have been the peak of the Gopros, IMO.

It's all up to what you want, what you do, and what you can afford. Nothing out their is perfect, much less perfect in and of itself for the individual user. And the product cycles are very rapid now, so you can wait until your nearly perfect set of desires is available at an affordable price. YMMV, of course!

·
Registered
555 Posts
The 6 is much better to handle because of the built in display and waterproof so good to use on holiday.
The stabilization is good but you need a calm hand and horizon will not be always real good so I would suggest to get the 6 AND a gimbal maybe on the used market.

Ciao Rob

My channel
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWD307eVP9113u3EMHG1Z_g

·
Administrator
2,888 Posts
I say get a Hero 6 - since Ive had a 6 I rarely use any gimbal with it. Yes the gimbal helps, but I cant be bothered setting up and carrying one around most of the time. I like to pocket my GoPro, and then take it out whenever I need it, quick and easy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
dont rely on waterproof design. i don't know much about 6, but hero 5 is not really waterproof from what i heard, just water-resistant. And i suppose its the same with 6. I wouldn't submerge such expensive device in water even if they fixed what they did wrong in waterproofing hero 5. I have bought waterproof case anyway, just for peace of mind
And builtin stabilization is by far the best on the market , but it still doesnt compare with proper gimbal,as was said before, and gimbal can even charge your camera on the go because they have cheaper and bigger batteries, if you are used to shot longer adventures and trips

·
Administrator
9,730 Posts
GP1 chip gopro took a giant step to go out of their way to design their own chip. One may say wait for the next camera, and always improvements are down the road. I decide what you like then if water is what you are after common sense is you should get a care pkg that covers replacements and your extreme sports habits , they wisen up and limited it.

Gimbals I can say it's added weight with the Hero 6 Black as 10-12% cropping and gopro's GP chip and software is spot on. I see only the bounce, and if you are shooting [email protected] highest setting that does not support EIS then the added gimbal is a bonus, otherwise. Like I agree with @Ifti the camera is pocketible and less noticibale at places.

I own quite a few and each one does what it does best.

for a good example Motor noise is going to one major issue as the mic is located where? think about that one for a little bit many complained about that on the Herio 5 . so I am sure the Hero 6 is affected. that is it for me for now

FISH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts