GoPro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had my GOPRO Hero 4 Silver for about 10 months, but haven't joined the forum until now.

I'm in the process of setting up a new Dell 7910 workstation. It's running Windows 10. I downloaded Quicktime Pro and GOPRO Studio.

Studio starts without issues, but when I import MP4 files, I see the thumbnail and file information in the "Import New Files" section, but when I press Play, all I get is the audio track, no video.

I've tried removing and reinstalling Studio, but that didn't help. I can play these clips in Quicktime or Windows Media Player, so I'm stumped about why they aren't working in studio.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
What version of studio and quicktime are you running? Is this anomaly occurring during editing or post production?

You might have some corrupted some files in the Quicktime download. I would run the download again and when it opens choose "repair", let it load and see if that helps the problem. The latest iteration of Quicktime is 7.7.6

As you likely know the latest iteration of GoPro Studio is "GoProStudioPC-2.5.7.549.exe"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi drzcharlie, thanks for your response.

The version of Quicktime that I downloaded is 7.7.8, so I wonder if there is some issue with this version that wasn't present with the version you referenced: 7.7.6. As you said, the version of Studio that I downloaded is 2.5.7.

I can't really perform any editing or post-production because Studio just shows a black screen, although the sound does play.

Just to repeat, I'm not having any problems starting Studio or loading the clips, nor has Studio crashed yet.

The MP4 clips that won't play correctly in Studio will play perfectly in Quicktime 7.7.8. Would that be true if some of the files were corrupted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been working with some old files on the computer. Just to try something different, I used Studio to transfer some new files from the Gopro card to the computer using a card reader and then had Studio load them. Same result: audio but no video. As before, I can play these clips in other players, so I don't think they're corrupted.

I didn't understand your comment: "import all the files from your DCIM file not just the MP4's". I'm looking at the files that I just imported and only see MP4's.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The files I am talking about are on the sd card from the camera. You would navigate to the drive you have it plugged into. Lets call it the "E" drive.

Navigate to>E Drive>DCIM>101gopro>Files

Once in the file you should see your videos and photos. From what you've said above I'm guessing you just imported the .MP4 files which is correct.

I had to go back to your first post and re-read. You have a gph4. The 3, 3+ and firmware updated 2's also produce .THM and .LRV files which support functionality for thumbnails, playback, share and copy on the gopro app.

Ok, so next question. You said you were "playing" around with older files. Are these files already in MOV or AVI files? If they are, the should be imported only into the edit room. New unprocessed files should be imported into the import room. If you movies were originally processed in iMovie or or iPhoto the files have been modified and GPS will not recognize the file type. If you go into advanced setting while the vid is in GPS you can see the file type that was imported. Is it the same file type you thought it was?

Actually, by default they should automatically import the correct location. Is this the case?

One last thought then I am tapped. When you convert your video. Try making a conversion folder for GoPro Studio in your documents. Then select that folder to place converted data. Also, if the existing conversion file has a number in it's name try renaming it without a number. See if that works. I've read in the GoPro support FAQ's that this sometimes restores the video and audio together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I used GPS to move the files from the SD card to my computer, it appears to have only moved the MP4 files. I went back and did a drag-and-drop of the DCIM folder from the SD card to the computer, and that did include the .THM and .LRV files.

I tried both an automatic import with GPS and a drag-and-drop into the Import Room, but nothing changed. Only the MP4 files show up in the Import Room list and I have the same problem: sound but no video.

I tried to convert a file without doing any editing. I clicked 'Add Clip to the Conversion List' and the clip appeared in the conversion list. I clicked on 'Convert All' and the processing bar appeared, but it stayed at 0% and never moved.

I am pretty baffled because any of these clips will play with sound and video outside of GPS.

The files I said I was 'playing around with' were unconverted MP4, not .MOV or .AVI.

If I am ever able to actually convert files, I will follow your suggestion about where to put them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made an inquiry to GoPro Support and received this response:

"Thanks for the update and detailed information. Based on your current setup and situation, our GoPro Studio software team have seen this issue before and it has to do with an incompatibility with multi-core systems and the directshow components we use in our current version of GoPro Studio. GoPro Studio is still a 32bit application. We seen this especially with Intel Xeon processors.

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

The MP4 file works just fine with other lower end systems, but this particular system is really high end. We will be releasing a new version of GoPro Studio soon that uses new components. As a workaround, you could launch the system bios when your computer is booting and either disable hyper threading altogether or limit the number of cores being used to 4. That should possibly help with your import/ playback issue. Lastly, you are also welcome to use other video editing platform in the meantime from Adobe or Sony to edit your GoPro video footage. At which point, it can take full advantage of your Workstation."

·
Registered
4 Posts
The .THM and .LRV are only for use with the GoPro App. They are of absolutely no use if imported to the computer as they cannot be read.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The .THM and .LRV are only for use with the GoPro App. They are of absolutely no use if imported to the computer as they cannot be read.
Yes, thanks. We know that. The diagnostic we had him try had to do with the importer and whether it was working or not. Sometimes it's best just to work from basic to advanced to eliminate missing something.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I made an inquiry to GoPro Support and received this response:

"Thanks for the update and detailed information. Based on your current setup and situation, our GoPro Studio software team have seen this issue before and it has to do with an incompatibility with multi-core systems and the directshow components we use in our current version of GoPro Studio. GoPro Studio is still a 32bit application. We seen this especially with Intel Xeon processors.

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

The MP4 file works just fine with other lower end systems, but this particular system is really high end. We will be releasing a new version of GoPro Studio soon that uses new components. As a workaround, you could launch the system bios when your computer is booting and either disable hyper threading altogether or limit the number of cores being used to 4. That should possibly help with your import/ playback issue. Lastly, you are also welcome to use other video editing platform in the meantime from Adobe or Sony to edit your GoPro video footage. At which point, it can take full advantage of your Workstation."

Have you tried running GoPro Studio in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Have you tried running GoPro Studio in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode?
In addition to what Kareem said, I think you could probably boot the computer in "safe mode" and open GPS to see if it works. This will tell you if you have another process running in non-safe mode that is interfering with it opening correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have an Intel 520 or 530 graphics card

Try running the program in Windows 8 or Windows 7 compatibility mode. You can right click the GoPro Studio application, right click "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab. Checkmark "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8 " Then click "Apply" and verify from there. If it doesn't work, try out Windows 7.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problem

Same problem.
Black screen. Can't edit video shot with a 500 camera unless I spend a ton of money on a video editing program?

Windows 10 x64.
All drivers updated.
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz (2 processors)

This is a dual processor machine, 6 cores per processor, 24 total logical processors.

Also, If I move gopro studio to my ultra HD 4k monitor scaled at 150%, it just freezes. I have to use it on the lower res monitor only.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same problem.
Black screen. Can't edit video shot with a 500 camera unless I spend a ton of money on a video editing program?

Windows 10 x64.
All drivers updated.
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz (2 processors)

This is a dual processor machine, 6 cores per processor, 24 total logical processors.

Also, If I move gopro studio to my ultra HD 4k monitor scaled at 150%, it just freezes. I have to use it on the lower res monitor only.
Try running the program in Windows 7 compatibility mode. You can right click the GoPro Studio application, right click "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab. Checkmark "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7 " Then click "Apply" and check to see if it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try running the program in Windows 7 compatibility mode. You can right click the GoPro Studio application, right click "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab. Checkmark "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7 " Then click "Apply" and check to see if it works.
Nope, does not work, tried that before I posted.

My workaround is a sad little bucket of disappointment. Run it in a virtual machine - 2 virtual processors, 4gb memory, windows 7 x86 (VMWare Workstation 12).

Performs like a pig in the mud.

GoPro really needs to invest in this application if bundling it with the camera. It's amazing the camera is so great, yet while the software has potential, it leaves so much to be desired.

Given this is (at least partially) a .NET application, why not run native on x64? Break past the 2gb memory barrier when running emulated/WOW64? Take advantage of modern hardware?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Grump,

Above, I suggested you try to use GPS in safe mode to see if another application is messing with GPS. Did you do that? Otherwise, you seem to have exhausted our advice.

Sometimes GPS just doesn't work for folks. We have a pretty good grasp of common problems/solutions but, it might be time to cut your frustration and go to a third party editor like a lot of other people have.

Medium tier editors are available in prices ranging from $40 to $200 that will give you a lot more flexibility in the post production process. I also urge you to contact gopro support and voice your concerns. It's the squeaky wheel theory ya know.

Sorry we couldn't find something that works for you.

·
Administrator
9,058 Posts
Cineform.com the makers of GPS end of life, sales and support April 2015-End of 2015.

Even though they still have for DL a company bailed out of the two titles. http://cineform.com/product-grid

Remember one main thing here its a fairly new software a few years old, other titles like PD were a lot older and now a lot better, in time it will get better. just not to our standards.

Free comes with Perks.

FISH

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nope, does not work, tried that before I posted.

My workaround is a sad little bucket of disappointment. Run it in a virtual machine - 2 virtual processors, 4gb memory, windows 7 x86 (VMWare Workstation 12).

Performs like a pig in the mud.

GoPro really needs to invest in this application if bundling it with the camera. It's amazing the camera is so great, yet while the software has potential, it leaves so much to be desired.

Given this is (at least partially) a .NET application, why not run native on x64? Break past the 2gb memory barrier when running emulated/WOW64? Take advantage of modern hardware?
I have a few more questions:
- When you say black screen, are you talking about the clip not showing video? Or is the whole application appearing as a black screen? Can you post a screenshot? If just the video, can you hear the audio?
- What version of Quicktime are you running?
- Did you try Windows 8 Compatibility Mode as well?
- Are you running the VM on the same Windows 10 Computer?
-Can you send a screenshot of your system information?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem as above - additional details here! Help much appreciated!

Hi I am a new user of go pro studios and go pro as well and having the exact same troubles as above, I've gone through the entire troubleshooting process as outlined below.
Any help would be much appreciated!

PROBLEM

MP4 videos work in quicktime, windows media and Go Pro Importer (cut and trim clips in the importer program) but once I export to Go Pro Studio there is no video (only a black screen) and only audio! When I try to convert the clip I get ERROR.

TROUBLESHOOTING

1. Updated Programs
a. Quicktime
b. Go Pro Studio
2. Updated Drivers
a. Intel® HD Graphics 520
b. NVIDIA GeForce 940M
3. Added GoProStudio.exe to NVIDIA GPU
4. Run GoProStudio as administrator
5. Run GoProStudio in Windows 7 and Windows 8 Compatibility mode (Tried both)
6. All files are on the hard drive of my computer (All .mp4 Files)

COMPUTER DETAILS

Asus UX303UB
Windows 10 Home x 64 Bit
Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59GHz
8 GB RAM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts