GoPro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video captures the fun and beauty of our October 2017, 17 night Honolulu to Sydney transpacific crossing with ports of call in Maui, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Auckland and Bay of Islands. All video was shot with a GoPro Hero 4 Black. Audio edits were made in Audacity 2.1.1. Title graphics were prepared using Acorn 5.6.6 photo editing software. Post production used iMovie 10.1.8.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What a long journey!
Very amazing vid with some beautiful shots, good and fast cutting and overall relaxing feeling with the good music- btw you did not credit the music, what is it?
Good work with the titles, you had a lot of amazing places and by own experience I know it is hard to pack such a great journey into just 10 minutes- I failed and made Part I and Part II.
Great work especially after filming, for newbies is to mention that for this kind of editing you have to plan a lot of time.

Ciao Rob

My channel

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWD307eVP9113u3EMHG1Z_g

·
Administrator
9,795 Posts
resembles their other Ship in ways the Eclipse, Reflection , Equinox Silhouette in ways. Been on a good number of cruises myself and enjoyed some of the scenes. I bet you wish you were back on her now? Who was your Cruise Director?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a long journey!
Very amazing vid with some beautiful shots, good and fast cutting and overall relaxing feeling with the good music- btw you did not credit the music, what is it?
Good work with the titles, you had a lot of amazing places and by own experience I know it is hard to pack such a great journey into just 10 minutes- I failed and made Part I and Part II.
Great work especially after filming, for newbies is to mention that for this kind of editing you have to plan a lot of time.
Thanks Rob. You're right, I need to credit the music - that's a rookie mistake on my part. Two versions of Holiday Road were used - 0:21 to 1:36 used the original by Lindsay Buckingham (featured in National Lampoon's Vacation), while 1:37 to 8:38 used a remake by the Zac Brown Band. The latter was edited using Audacity. I'm glad you thought the song worked well.

You are right about packing a lot of holiday into 1 video - it's not easy. I try to keep the viewer interested by introducing motion into every shot or by using quick and fast cuts. I don't know if that formula helps with maintaining audience retention, or if shorter videos are better? Hopefully, feedback here well help to answer that question.

Thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
resembles their other Ship in ways the Eclipse, Reflection , Equinox Silhouette in ways. Been on a good number of cruises myself and enjoyed some of the scenes. I bet you wish you were back on her now? Who was your Cruise Director?
Yes, Solstice is a sister ship and identical to those you mentioned. She's a beauty! We've also sailed on Silhouette a few years back and loved her too. Our cruise director was an Aussie named Ben. I can't recall his last name, but he's featured in the outdoor shot at 5:42. Great guy and very funny!

·
Administrator
9,795 Posts
Thank you I may seen him and recall his stories to? thanks again.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah Steve video length is not easy to say what is good or better.
I make my vids first for me, second for friends and family and then other audience- we are not pros.
If you have such a journey with so many interesting places and you have good shots from the places then it must be shown in the vid- it belongs to the story, it's a part of the story.
If I have good and interesting shots, helping the story/flow I would never say- oh my vid is getting to long I must forget this part.
When I am working on a vid and realize that I have a lot of good material then I decide to make 2 vids- Part I and Part II each with 7-8 minutes- I guess this is better and keeps more suspense than making 16 min.
Another technique is to make a short "official" vid lets say5-6 minutes and then make a longer/personal one for friends and family- like the Directors Cut :smile:
I have done this on our last journey "Aida The Journey" and then Part II and the other option in "Balaton Tres Amigos" - 6 min and "Balaton Pure" - 12 min.

Ciao Rob

My channel

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWD307eVP9113u3EMHG1Z_g

·
Administrator
9,795 Posts
Video length agree if its a 2 minute clip it's still to long, even if it was a 30 second clip still not a persons interest. we will never know why? On a GoProforum or sharing a gopro moment or a cruise. More or less people are interested in posting up sharing but are they interested in participating. I'll leave it at that.

On a cruise I grab as much as I can. and try to break things up, I also love sharing thew whole trip just not parts. and you have many shots to share. Excursions, activities or just relaxing. More or less its the Moments we share, a few seconds here and there a 2 minute clip shows enough. but cramming in it all, is a tough one.

IMHO:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice video, looks like a very cool trip. French Polynesia must be awesome, one day I'll be there, too :D
You made some really cool shots and had some nice angles in there. I like those little things like the "drumming" at 8:17, that's nicely made. Thumbs up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice video, looks like a very cool trip. French Polynesia must be awesome, one day I'll be there, too :D
You made some really cool shots and had some nice angles in there. I like those little things like the "drumming" at 8:17, that's nicely made. Thumbs up
Thank you. Yes, our holiday was wonderful and French Polynesia is paradise. We will also return and I hope to one day film the sequel!

I do my best to try and capture interesting shots. I look for angles, motion, colors and composition when shooting and have realized the importance of knowing what camera setting works for each shot - sometimes 1080 narrow works better than 4K wide. And of course, post production editing is a labor of love for me. While some may not like reviewing, sorting and cataloguing hours of "film", for me it's a chance to go back to all of those wonderful places, and find a way to tell the story and set it all to music. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts