GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fog is getting into my lens while I am surfing and i have three or the moisturizers inside my camera.... Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The case lens? I would put

The case lens? I would put the case underwater as deep as you can for 24 or more hrs. Make should your black clip is not cracked you may hardly see the crack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fogging Problems

Give your waterproof case/housing a good thorough cleaning. Make sure there is no sand, dust or lint inside the housing. Also, check the gasket (the white rubber part) and make sure there is no sand stuck in there. Even a couple grains of sand can make the housing fog up.

Sometimes, it just has to do with the weather, but a SUPER clean housing will definitely help you out.

Hope that helps. It's super frustrating when it fogs up during a good session.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FOGGING UP !!!

VERY FRUSTRATED Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr am a South African Surfer, City Durban East Coast Indian Ocean water temp. is about 20 degrees + am so BUMMED out with my Go PRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! inside casing is properly clean !!! have tried all the tricks and i slot in 5 Gp pro DE-MIST pads ............ IT still FOGS up !!!!! this is so UN COOL ........................ :( so frustrated ...... feel like TRASHING IT !!!!)))))))) but before i do, beg that anyone can advise who has had same continual Problem :((

·
Registered
10 Posts
FOGGING UP !!!

VERY FRUSTRATED Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr am a South African Surfer, City Durban East Coast Indian Ocean water temp. is about 20 degrees + am so BUMMED out with my Go PRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! inside casing is properly clean !!! have tried all the tricks and i slot in 5 Gp pro DE-MIST pads ............ IT still FOGS up !!!!! this is so UN COOL ........................ :( so frustrated ...... feel like TRASHING IT !!!!)))))))) but beg that anyone can advise who has had same continual Problem :((

·
Registered
40 Posts
The issue is due to high

The issue is due to high humidity. When the camera heats up and the cooler outside air hits it the humidity will condensate on the inside of case. Are you putting the camera inside the case while at the beach? I haven't tried it myself but I've heard you can put the open case in a fridge for an hour or so, then put the camera inside the case before you remove it from fridge (fridges have low humidity). Hope you can get it solved...it's definitely VERY frustrating when you lose good footage!

·
Registered
10 Posts
High Humidity / Fogging

thanks JRussell !!! no, normally put camera in case before i go to beach, will try the fridge method !!! however still Pissed Off with situation "with Go-Pro"as this is a mission, to do the Fridge Stuff, when i have spent $25 USA (cost in S.A. for de-mist pads) and use 5 in Case...... they are also breaking up, sheding a type of fluff after a few camera changes from case ........ cant get my head around spending $25 nearly each time i surf, plus going through the hassel of FRIDGING the whole deal each time. ...... but at this point Fridge seems my only option.... will give feedback. Thanks again for your input !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't had any fogging

I haven't had any fogging problems since I started using the GoPro de-fog inserts. Surprised to hear that they aren't working for you! Then again I'm not using the camera in water most of the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No Fogging (Slow Play)

hey SLOW PLAY . ..... TRY THIS next time - dont even bother putting the DE-FOG in your camera case, if you not in the water, and the camera case will most probably not FOG up anyway. ...... let us KNOW
((((( since my first post last Saturday, the surf has been blown out so have not had a chance to use my GO-Pro, am keen to try out my new trick and will let everyone know, if it works )))))))

·
Registered
10 Posts
No Fogging (Slow Play)

hey SLOW PLAY . ..... TRY THIS next time - dont even bother putting the DE-FOG in your camera case, if you not in the water, and the camera case will most probably not FOG up anyway. ...... let us KNOW
((((( since my first post last Saturday, the surf has been blown out so have not had a chance to use my GO-Pro, am keen to try out my new trick and will let everyone know, if it works )))))))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guys,
I found this tip

Hey Guys,

I found this tip from Korduroy.tv and thought it might be another useful solution for those who are still having problems with fogging.

This was their solution to keep the fog out:

1) Use an anti-fogging spray (speedo makes a good one for the insides of goggles)
lightly mist the inside front of the housing and lens port
Pour out the excess immediately.
Dry out the inside by swinging it around until your arm hurts and blowing from afar or using a blow dryer on the coolest setting.
Check the inside of port to confirm there's no residue that will obscure the image while filming
2) Store camera and opened housing with moisture absorbing packets in a zip lockbag and store until next use.
3) Place camera inside housing and latch while inside the ziplock, remove when assembled

I'll let you know if it works. Or if anyone tries it our before me, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fogged UP !!! now solved !!!

Hey Jordan / and All
ANTI - MIST SPRAY ......... YAHOOOOOO !!!!! yes this Works !!!!!
i purchased an Anti-Mist Spray for car windscreen last Saturday before i surfed ...
gave it a spray and wiped with soft cloth (obviously a cloth that does not leave fibres behind - like a sunglasses cloth ))))) 8) also stuck in the anti-fog pads for good measure.......
yes so this Works !!!!
* you dont have to do all that S*%T swinging it around .... till your arm breaks
or using hair dryer
(unless you a gay dude / or model chick and take your portable battery operated hair dryer to the beach to also blow dry your hair after surf sessions ?!?!?! hahahahahaha :) )))))))
******** spoke to gopro distributors in South Africa ////// they said you must also first Acclimatize .... your camera and housing in the water ( so camera and housing are same tempreature before you turn on camera ......)))))
:(( however !!!!!! all **** BROKE out on my Sunday Surf Session !!!!!! water got into the housing - "reason for me phoning GOPRO South Africa distributors"))))
so far i can only guess 2 Reasons (1) i stick 5 anti fog pads in housing (started with one pad and worked up to 5 pads because of the initial fogging problem ....... and even with the De-MIST Spray thought i would stick to 5 pads ... just to be extra sure )))) slot 1 pad on either side of camera, 2 under camera and 1 in the back door under the little black cushion strip on door....... this i think comprimised the closing of door OR one of the pads on side of camera was not slotted in far enough and this interfered with the rectangle door seal :(( :((
OR but not sure
(2) the anti mist spary - which did saturate the trigger button and on/off button ... the spray could have messed up the O Rings and this allowed water in ))))) BE CAREFUL ... very Careful !!!
Camera is STUFFED !!!!!!! however after phoning GOPRO S.A. ....... they sent a courier to fetch camera, within an hour of my call to them (very impressed with their service in Dark Africa)
am going on a surf dive trip to Islands of Mozambique .... in 2 days time ..... hope GO-Pro can get me back my camera ///// will let you know how GOOD or not they are ....... this is a very exculsive trip on sail boat not something you do everyday......
so in my Dilemma now, not knowing if i will get the GOPRO back before i fly ..... i sourced a camera from Oregon Scientific ( ATC mini - action camera) have not purchased it yet //// but will if GOPRO does not come back in time or GOPRO tells me to get stuffed )))))
the Oregon Scientific Camera does not seem to have the same quality of GO-Pro and shooting features !!!!
BUT it is already in a housing ///// so none of this bullshit of water housings / pads / Acclimatizing / blah blah blah (((( we just want to surf !!!!
and another BIG BONUS ...... yes BIG BIG BONUS ...... it comes with video editing software ///// so you can cut all the boring moments of your footage out ......
not sure if GOPRO has their own editing software ..... or if you must now purchase a universal video editing programme !!!!! $$$$$$ thats the problem with GOPRO .................. $$$$$$$$ more bucks all the time once you have camera, always paying for accessories (((( ****, 20 US $ for 5 strips of blotting paper / "anti fog strips" what a joke / what a mark up on paper that costs 10 cents))))
at Least the Oregon Scientific has all these accessories built in + editing software and the Oregon Scientific is 100 $ cheaper ))))) so off the BAT you saving 200 $ PLUS ( not having to purchase all GoPro accessories necessary to get going )))))
yes have not filmed with it AND compared the Oregon spec fully, GOpRO seems to have slightly better quality and functions from specs that i have read up ....
anyway .... blah blah blah ...... just want to surf kite and dive !!!!!!! forgive my ramblings ....... will let you all know the outcome

·
Registered
10 Posts
GOPRO tips and Hints (anti foging )

yeah we in AFRICA ( dark Africa at night )))))) full sun in DAY "hahahah"
cant understand why GOPRO does not give all the basic hints and tips on a small flyer when you purchase it / plus distributors sales persons are also so uneducated on the products bacic functions in the field "water" (like the fogging up) this should be standard INFO given to first time purchases //// not trial and error and needing a GoPRO Forum to resolve common issues !!!!!!
FOGGING up in a NUT shell
(1) spray an anti mist
(2) Acclimatize the camera and housing in water / before you turn on
(3) use 5 de-mist pads NOT !!!! NOT NOT.......
use max 3 pads AND make sure they dont comprimise back door seal.
.........................................................................................................
(4) no need to leave camera and housing in fridge for hours before hand (yes there is minimal humidity in fridge but save space for beers )
(5) no need to use hair blower ( unles you gay or model your hair after surf session)
(6) no need to spray anti mist spray and swing housing until your arm breaks off to rid it it of excess spary (use soft cloth and wipe)
(7) no need to take your camera to a Vodoo Doctor to have it cleansed of bad spirits before you use it in KILLER SURF

enjoy your session !!!!!! may you get wicked footage !!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Peter, that is frustrating!

Peter, that is frustrating! My camera will fog without the inserts, but once I use them it works fine. A friend of mine had a similar problem as yours with both his cameras (one Hero Naked and one Hero2), no matter what he did, it would just not work and keep fogging.

Took us a while to figure out what was the deal but we got it. Given that both cameras (and housings) had the same fogging problem, our conclusion was that they would fog because they had way too much moisture in them already and once they heat up inside the housing, no anti-fog inserts could absorb that much moisture that became loose in the air. The problem is that he would leave them out of the housing most of the time, even at home, so they would just soak up moisture. Is that something you've been doing too?

We got two packs of these anti-fog inserts (much cheaper and more units per package) and just kept the camera inside the housing with a freshly baked pair for a whole day, then replaced the inserts and repeated for like 3 days. You can feel how dry the inserts are right out of the oven, they are almost brittle, chalky, and when we would take them out of the housing next day they would feel different, not soaking wet, but different. Now they won't fog up (but still need to have the inserts there).

ps. The spray stuff doesn't work, it doesnt "soak" moisture, just kinda like disperses it. Film long enought and it will start fogging. RainX on the outside of the lens is cool to avoid droplets!

·
Administrator
9,314 Posts
I read about the fridge

I read about the fridge thing. understanding to keep it the same ideal water temp.

A Hint wrap your camera in a towel the night before and the day you are ready to use. see if that will stop moisture. It clearly did for me in a very hot climate outside inside super cold. without the towel wrap, my cam was fogged. this was not a hero

·
Registered
4 Posts
fogging solutions

Peter,

Fogging of the inside of the camera housing lens is a problem I have encountered in temperate climate (New Zealand, 16C water) and especially when filming in tropical climates. To find out the best anti fog options and to improve the sharpness of the picture I applied the following six different independent tests and filmed the results on Rahotu200 youtube:

1. Use GoPro 2 as normal - nothing added
2. Tissue paper inserted down both sides and on back of camera (warning - this could easily jeopardise the water seal if a small amount of tissue is on the seal)
3. Heat camera housing and camera with a hair drier to warm then close housing.
4. Add 3 GoPro anti-fog inserts / desiccant strips inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera straight away
5. Hold the camera and housing under an air conditioner outlet for 1 minute then close.
6. Insert 3 GoPro anti-fog inserts inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera after 17 hours.

These tests were all carried out in Singapore (tropical - 90 miles from Equator c.80% humidity) by submersing the operating Go Pro Hero2 camera in 4 degree Celsius water then removing and trying to film (extreme fogging test). RESULTS AND OTHER ANTI FOGGING TIPS & OPTIONS are on Rahotu200 youtube channel

CAMERA FOGGING IS CAUSED BY - If the air in your camera housing is from: a) a humid environment, b) the camera is on which generates heat and c) and you and take it in to relatively cooler temperature water you are likely to get condensation on the inside of your housing. Therefore as two of the three above variables are a given if the camera is operating you have to remove the humidity inside the housing. In summary the warmed humid air from the camera heat forms condensation on the coldest part of the housing (unfortunately the inside of the lens bulb). Spray solutions just flatten the fog droplets on the inside of the housing which is not the optically best solution.

Happy shooting - I would be interested in any other suggestions as this problem can be annoying as it happens often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fogging solutions

Peter,

Fogging of the inside of the camera housing lens is a problem I have encountered in temperate climate (New Zealand, 16C water) and especially when filming in tropical climates. To find out the best anti fog options and to improve the sharpness of the picture I applied the following six different independent tests and filmed the results on Rahotu200 youtube:

1. Use GoPro 2 as normal - nothing added
2. Tissue paper inserted down both sides and on back of camera (warning - this could easily jeopardise the water seal if a small amount of tissue is on the seal)
3. Heat camera housing and camera with a hair drier to warm then close housing.
4. Add 3 GoPro anti-fog inserts / desiccant strips inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera straight away
5. Hold the camera and housing under an air conditioner outlet for 1 minute then close.
6. Insert 3 GoPro anti-fog inserts inside the housing to absorb any moisture in the air and use camera after 17 hours.

These tests were all carried out in Singapore (tropical - 90 miles from Equator c.80% humidity) by submersing the operating Go Pro Hero2 camera in 4 degree Celsius water then removing and trying to film (extreme fogging test). RESULTS AND OTHER ANTI FOGGING TIPS & OPTIONS are on Rahotu200 youtube channel

CAMERA FOGGING IS CAUSED BY - If the air in your camera housing is from: a) a humid environment, b) the camera is on which generates heat and c) and you and take it in to relatively cooler temperature water you are likely to get condensation on the inside of your housing. Therefore as two of the three above variables are a given if the camera is operating you have to remove the humidity inside the housing. In summary the warmed humid air from the camera heat forms condensation on the coldest part of the housing (unfortunately the inside of the lens bulb). Spray solutions just flatten the fog droplets on the inside of the housing which is not the optically best solution.

Happy shooting - I would be interested in any other suggestions as this problem can be annoying as it happens often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fogging solutions

thanks for your input Rahotu
Eventually Compromised the housing seal with the anti mist pads (had about 5 stuck in housing ))))) the surf was firing and wanted to get a few good wave shots but my desperation led to drowning the camera.
Contacted GOPRO South Africa, and explained situation (their product fogging !!!! me trying to sort out as best I could but I also overdid things and compromised seal in DESPERATION to get some great footage, asked GOPRO if they would come to the party and meet me half way, they said they would give me a small discount on a new GOPRO 2 but rather suggested I buy the new Hero 3 but I would not get a discount !!!!! go figure..... go get screwed.
This was early December, was leaving on a spear fishing trip to a St. Lazarus Banks (Mozambique)this is one of the best fishing / spear fishing spots in the world (its 150 km off shore ... ocean comes up from 3km deep to 20m (Mind Blowing) over about a 6 km long strip.....
So I thought stuff GO PRO and I got a Scientific Oregon Action Camera for trip .... fantastic because it has no Camera housing hassles BUT also very disappointed ((((( terrible, terrible Picture QUALITY ))))))

So it’s the new year mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the GOPRO WiFi Hero3 looks like the way I will be going GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (((( hate the thought of been stuck with more ****/// all the bullshit of stopping mist up/ man I just want to take photographs NOT carry out some scientific experiment every time I go for a wave )))
But if I do purchase the New GOPRO will make sure I follow all instructions to the T and any crap will throw it back at them ....
(I also wonder why the other brands of cheap waterproof cameras like Sony etc, great photo quality (also no housings) they don’t have MIST problems, because camera is water proof.. but cant shoot in GOPRO Modes "bummer" else I would get one...... wish GOPRO would ditch their housing and just go straight waterproof camera !!!!!
Anyway will make up my mind this week..... if I get new GOPRO 3 will let you know how it goes.
Again thanks for your INPUT !!! regards peter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.