GoPro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've managed to buy a 2nd hand Smoothie from ebay for my new 4 Silver. On checking the compatibility charts on the Tiffen website it would appear that to balance it properly, I would need the weight kit accessory but that will block the screen.

I'm trying to sort out a work around, but was wondering if anyone could give me the weight of each of the grey and black weights. According to Tiffen, they are trying to find a solution for the 4 silver, but do not have an eta on it hitting the stores.

Thanks,

Colin

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
I have the kit, not at home. I do not have scale. the kit comes with a grey, a silver and two thin weights. if you own a Curve, they are the same one's

Tiffen should have released these if not soon. for the Hero 4.

they are velcroed and 3m(rubber cemented) on they do block the view, if they made it in depth, they could have narrowed it out and block less view.

Sponsor of tiffen.

Reactions: shiftywxm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think with the material as it is, whether the centre piece could be cut out allowing a view of the LCD and stuck elsewhere?

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think with the material as it is, whether the centre piece could be cut out allowing a view of the LCD and stuck elsewhere?
II would say yes, enough room to do so, and if you are good at it, possible in half and glue top and bottom to compensate.

the part I have is for both the Curve/smoothie, clearly ells me the product is a Gadget. a very expensive one, at that.. On a personal note my gimbal handle broke, tiffen said sorry we do not replace gimbal handles lol. broke on video to?

So I glued it ,Lol. a great product. it is

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have the LCD screen, does that not replace the weight kit? I have the Curve but w/o the LCD back, so I had to buy the weight kit..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently not. I assume that the built in screen is a lot lighter than the add-on.

I'm hoping that Tiffen will reply to my email with the weights of each one. Otherwise it may have to be a purchase of the kit and a bit of diy customisation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
the Curve has three weights. the W1, w2, w3. If I am not mistaken they added t he W3 down the road. I had the original curve, while revamping.

They now made the weight kit , with two additional W3's, and a larger Back plate for the Hero's one in silver and black..

And that kit is for no LCD backpacks, for the Hero 's , and says Hero 4 as well. It replaces the lcd.

Now that the Silver requires less weight, Tiffen, never thought about that and will push out the Kit, and I am sure that will be the only kit available for the models..

If you know the weight of the cams? you will get your answer, faster.

I would take some weight and place on top/bottom , and place more or less as needed till I get a proper balance. if the lcd weight is 60grams. I cut that weight in half, and try that. I am sure the cam for example the Silver weights not much more than the Black.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As an update.....

The smoothee arrived today and I've been trying different weights to even it out. On a website that had weights and dimensions of differing gopros I was quite surprised to see that the 4 silver is lighter than the black edition despite having the lcd integrated.

To get anywhere near the 3 second drop, I had to put between 100g and 115g. The only problem being that I don't have anything compact enough at that weight and ended up filling the platform in front and behind the camera.

I've now ordered the weight kit so I can get the actual weights and to see if I can find a way to modify the weights for the integrated screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
I guess you spent around $150.00 correct? would you not want to invest in a few more Dollars for a electronic Gimbal 2 axes?

I feel the electronic one is the better, if asked? If all goes well on anything, things work out well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've paid out 89 GBP at the moment which according to xe.com is just under 140 USD, but the cheapest electronic 2-axis gimbal I can find in the UK is 120 GBP, so around 188 USD. So it's still a bit cheaper for me at the moment.

Also, when I've looked at the youtube reviews of the handheld electronic gimbals they always seem to produce worse footage. You seem to see the footsteps in the footage rather than the smoother footage from the mechanical ones.

Going back to your steadicam curve and feiyu tech 2-axis on youtube fishycomics, the curve seems to have the steadier footage.

Is that something you've noticed? Maybe it's just that people take more care with trying to balance the mechanical ones?

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
I guess if we take our time to make a shot, anything can be great, and that I am sure we can achive the best shot possible.

Maybe youtube, converting, the software's we used. all play a roll as well? I have footage from my Feiyu. soon will post up.

I feel the curve for me needs more attention if asked. the slightest breeze canset it off

·
Registered
1 Posts
weights for the steadicam curve

Hey there,

I'm trying to build a better weight system for the curve and the silver hero 4... Sounds like the weight I should use is between 100g and 115g? Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,

I'm trying to build a better weight system for the curve and the silver hero 4... Sounds like the weight I should use is between 100g and 115g? Can anyone confirm that this is correct?
Did you manage to build your own weight-pack?
I think 100 gram is too much. The weight-backplate from the curve weighs about 39 gram.

I am also struggling with the curve and hero 4 silver setup...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts