GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son snowboards and wants to record while on the slopes. Which is the best model for this? I think I would want the waterproof housing, for one, just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The two for sale on GoPro.com

The two for sale on GoPro.com are identical, other than the recording resolution. They both come with the same waterproof case and mounts. If your son is going to be showing his video on the family 150" projector, the 1080p $299.99 would be a little better. If he is going to be uploading to facebook and youtube, there is no need for such high quality. Something to consider, however, is that the 1080p model records in 30 AND 60 frames per second. This makes it much better for fast moving objects, like a snowboard. All that a video consists of is a certain number of pictures (frames) taken each second, played back at that same speed (think of one of those books where you flip through quickly and it appears to be moving). If there are only 30 frames taken every second (standard video), you can pick up on the tiny delay between each frame if there is considerable change (otherwise, your brain just fills in the blanks). With 60 frames every second, you cut that delay in half, so instead of an object moving 2 inches between frames (requiring your brain to fill in 2 inches of movement), it now only moves one inch between frames (making your brain do a lot less thinking). Baisically, in high movement situations, 30fps isnt always quite enough, so it looks jittery. 60fps fixes this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.