GoPro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, First off apologies for the abrupt question without first adding anything to the community. however I havent had any luck searching around and finding an answer to my specific issue.

I have a sandisk extreme 128gb card that i have purchased recently for long timelapses in my garden doing building work. I hook up the go pro hero 5 black to a battery pack and it works all day taking a few thousand pictures no problem, each night I then take the pictures off the camera using the usb c cable to my pc (windows 10) no issues, takes a little time but oh well.

Thing is if i take the card out of the camera and use it with the sandisk reader for usb (little thumb drive) it makes a noise and the pc shows a greyed out (G) drive icon on my computer and when you try to open it is says try installing disk and try again. I have had it working in the past but forget when it stopped working, my gopro heros 3 with a 32gb card works fine.

I've re formatted the card whilst in the go pro, no difference, Im only likley to use the card with the go pro, but still its a bit of a pain, especially because I cannot cut pictures across from the gfo pro to the pc but have to copy and then go back and delete the files, wheras using the car in the hero3 i can cut and paste no issues.

thanks for any insights.

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
Welcome aboard @tiffsa you are doing just fine, lets see if we as well our members here can help out:
As I read about the Hero 5 black and the 128gb card all works fine on the win 10 PC so far great. the Issue you are having is with your Slot Reader and sd card not correctly working, got it.

If you have a spare SD card slot, you can try, please make sure the locking tab is positioned correctly, and a little tape on it to secure it, when inserting, back in. you can also clean the slot contact pins. If that does not help and I think the issue lies in the windows 10.

Start/Settings/Devices. locate autoplay to the left

If this did not help check into the device manager, just type it in the search.

You then can uninstall the drive, and that should reload back on . this should get you going if not then lets see what otehr members have to say, hope this was helpful, thanks

FISH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response FISH I am using a Sandisk usb reader for micros sd, not and adaptor with a tab. It appears to work correctly with my other 2 micro cards I used for the other go pro hero 3.
I have already tried fooling around and uninstalling drivers for the usb device however not much luck yet, I will try again tomorrow and try to upload some more detailed pictures or screenshots to see if it can help.
I’ve read something about mtp for mobile devices which is what it’s picking it up as and when I plug it in via the go pro it’s called a mtp volume I think.

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
device manager
portable devices for the camera. and usb ports. when you do the ports three is no knowing what is what of the ports.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good evening All,

I have (hopefully uploaded 2 images showing the issue, when I plug in my micro card reader empty, it is detected as drive g. it is the card that is not being detected by the system. weirdly i tested the 128gb card in my gopro hero 3 and it worked and started taking pictures, however it would not work in the card reader like my 32gb card does (which is solely used in the hero 3) so the only way to take images from the 128gb card is when it is inside the hero 5. all I keep coming back to is the way that the card is formatted, however I cannot change the format of the card when i re-format it within windows with it inserted into the hero 5.

first image, card detection with the card inside the go pro hero 5.

second image, the usb stick properties, once again it is a sandisk thunb drive for micro sd cards.

thanks again for any insight!

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
so the slot recognizes the 32, not the 128, so if the card can not get read and reformatted, you may have to find something that will.. I wonder if contacting the sd card manufacturer and see if they can replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts