GoPro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if best forum but thought I would ask here. Long story short is that have about 20 hours of video that was in various flash drives for storage. Video was consolidated into a single flash drive and other flash drives were erased. C drive was used as a storage transfer point between flash drives. Once video consolidated then C drive deleted. Portion of videos was in recycle bin and recovered. Used a recommended third party app and found many of the videos that were not otherwise in recycle bin. Restored them to a backup drive but the videos that were erased and recovered from other than recycle bin are not in recognizable format apparently. Afraid because they were deleted they may not be recoverable into readable format. Tried software that says it could recover MP4 files but didn't work. Any ideas or out of luck due to the way GOPro saves its original file format.?
Thanks in advance. For any help/suggestions.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi hdtaxman,

The issue is not with how GoPro saves the original format. You have 2 types of files here:
1- Files in the Recycling Bin - These files have not actually been deleted but rather put in a bin to be discarded at a later time or when you as user clicks the Empty Trash button. (Think of the trash can in your kitchen, you can always dig in it and find something you lost.)
2- Files that have actually been emptied from the trash - although in theory they can be recovered it all depends on where they are located on the drive and whether they have been overwritten or not. When you delete a file, you don't actually erase it, but rather assign its location as empty thus allowing other programs to write stuff in that section, if nothing was ever written there, then you can in theory recover the file but if say you have a 1GB video file that you deleted and then MS Word writes a 35Kb document in that space, then you may be able to recover part of that video but even then it is not always successful. (Think of going to the landfill and trying to find an item you lost, it is not as easy and even if you find it, it might not be whole)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that does help a great deal..actually makes a lot of sense..These files have been deleted for about 3 weeks ( hindsight about saving and saving again too late!!) so I imagine they have been written over somewhat..Windows media would not play the recovered field, but does play the ones I pulled from the recycle bin so the 40 or so I recovered have all probably had bits and pieces written over. I say this only becuse I had to do the backup onto the hard drive then off in batches as the field space was limited..So there is no doubt that the free space was overwritten to some degree..the irritating part is that the master flash drive created was lost which is why I am trying got do what may be impossible. In summary, it sounds like it is a hit or miss for each recovered file as to whether or not it will play, and if not, then a pretty good likelihood I will not be able to restore since it is not all there. In your best guestimate, I used a software called Data Recovery to find the files and recover them. Is there a commercial type product out there that would be able to see if there is any of the non readable video that could be made readable at least in part? Jus gotta ask that one last question..Thanks very much..and great forum(s) by the way!

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5#download

this software does 50% ms dos , and some simple steps to joining the same file together will bipas the programs restrictions, and create a 100% file.

The software needs a file from the same camera, duplicates, and takes the header and closes, to correct the issue that the original's file that got damaged

Youtube the program to see how it is done. not hard once done.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
I have donethis before a video but I respected the the copyrighting ofit. and removed. If you have the file you want best to get it on google drive send it to me and I shall work on it. I take my personal time to help all out, and do my best to get it resolved.

If you choose not to accept my offer I shall not get offended.

FISh. need a video I shall do so again.
@hdtaxman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fish,
Thanks for that. Since you have had experience with it, you are saying that if you have a reference file and the file
I recovered, you could give it a go?
If so, please let me know and I can get said files to you and we can discuss future options.
I do appreciate your reply.
Thanks

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Fish,
Thanks for that. Since you have had experience with it, you are saying that if you have a reference file and the file
I recovered, you could give it a go?
If so, please let me know and I can get said files to you and we can discuss future options.
I do appreciate your reply.
Thanks
PM me here a file or at yahoo my username. I shall do that for you . Just tell me the cam you used and hte setting I have to load the software again . and watch the video Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if best forum but thought I would ask here. Long story short is that have about 20 hours of video that was in various flash drives for storage. Video was consolidated into a single flash drive and other flash drives were erased. C drive was used as a storage transfer point between flash drives. Once video consolidated then C drive deleted. Portion of videos was in recycle bin and recovered. Used a recommended third party app and found many of the videos that were not otherwise in recycle bin. Restored them to a backup drive but the videos that were erased and recovered from other than recycle bin are not in recognizable format apparently. Afraid because they were deleted they may not be recoverable into readable format. Tried software that says it could recover MP4 files but didn't work. Any ideas or out of luck due to the way GOPro saves its original file format.?
Thanks in advance. For any help/suggestions.
This reminds me of the text message recovery process last month , the point is I didn't have a data backup at that time , then i can only use third-party tools ,
The result was a failure, the deleted messages are not found on my phone , so far, my data has not returned

·
Registered
6 Posts
This reminds me of the text message recovery process last month , the point is I didn't have a data backup at that time , then i can only use third-party tools ,
The result was a failure, the deleted messages are not found on my phone , so far, my data has not returned
Maybe it should have a solution , like the recovery tool .

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts