GoPro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Hero 8 Black, mainly to video my kid's games. I haven't had a chance to try it out until games start in the spring. My plan was to attach it to the fence and let it record. In my testing at home, the camera seems to get pretty warm after extended recording, so my concern is that it will shut down due to heat while I'm recording games. I've shut off all the bells and whistles and that seems to help a little with heat, but it's also 68 degrees in my house instead of 85 degrees like it will be during games. My question is, has anyone tried running the Hero 8 with an external battery pack, and does that help keep the heat down inside the camera? Also, if anyone has used theirs to video games like this, any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping to have it figured out before the season starts. Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,431 Posts
Bat removed, powerbank 1K per hour remove the bat to have less heat issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I started recording my son's baseball games about 6 years ago with a Hero 3, I have since moved up to the Hero 9. Heat has always been an issue once the temperatures start to get above 90, the camera will just turn off without you knowing. To combat the heat, I do the following.
  1. Turn of wifi
  2. Remove the internal battery and use an external source
  3. I bungy this USB fan that is powered by the same device I use for the camera. It's silent and doesn't use much power.
  4. shade the camera with a small white towel.
  5. Don't use a case that traps heat, with the Hero 8, you an just use it as is.
  6. Don't use digital zoom unless really needed, that seems to make the camera warm as well. Use a narrow, linear or wide view if you can to frame field.
I haven't had any problems with shutdown do to heat since I started to do this.

There are several really good ways to connect to the fence as well, I use a LynkSpyder. This link has the device as well as how to setup your GoPro including optimal recording settings. There is also the Fence Clip Mini that worse pretty well, but doesn't seem to stay in place as well.

Recording he whole game is the way to go, start it and stop when it's done. I tried to start and stop between innings but ended up forgetting or the camera would turn off.

I upload the games to YouTube afterward with the a little trimming of the before/after game as well as in between innings. The kids and families really like being able to watch them.

Good luck!
--AL

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are you using to trim the video before uploading to YouTube? Are you recording in 4K or 1080? What resolution do you upload to YouTube. Link to your channel?

Hi there, I started recording my son's baseball games about 6 years ago with a Hero 3, I have since moved up to the Hero 9. Heat has always been an issue once the temperatures start to get above 90, the camera will just turn off without you knowing. To combat the heat, I do the following.
  1. Turn of wifi
  3. I bungy this USB fan that is powered by the same device I use for the camera. It's silent and doesn't use much power.
  6. Don't use digital zoom unless really needed, that seems to make the camera warm as well. Use a narrow, linear or wide view if you can to frame field.

There are several really good ways to connect to the fence as well, I use a LynkSpyder. This link has the device as well as how to setup your GoPro including optimal recording settings. There is also the Fence Clip Mini that worse pretty well, but doesn't seem to stay in place as well.

Recording he whole game is the way to go, start it and stop when it's done. I tried to start and stop between innings but ended up forgetting or the camera would turn off.

I upload the games to YouTube afterward with the a little trimming of the before/after game as well as in between innings. The kids and families really like being able to watch them.

Good luck!
--AL

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long can you record a game with the GoPro? The entire game? If I just hit record and let it run for 3 hours?

·
Administrator
9,431 Posts
use a larger card and use an external bat. the files will be 4gb per 6-9 minutes chapters

·
Registered
1 Posts
  1. Turn of wifi

Good luck!
--AL
Great info….Our team wants to start streaming live in the fall. Have you tried to stream and link up with gamechanger?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a Hero 8 Black, mainly to video my kid's games. I haven't had a chance to try it out until games start in the spring. My plan was to attach it to the fence and let it record. In my testing at home, the camera seems to get pretty warm after extended recording, so my concern is that it will shut down due to heat while I'm recording games. I've shut off all the bells and whistles and that seems to help a little with heat, but it's also 68 degrees in my house instead of 85 degrees like it will be during games. My question is, has anyone tried running the Hero 8 with an external battery pack, and does that help keep the heat down inside the camera? Also, if anyone has used theirs to video games like this, any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping to have it figured out before the season starts. Thanks.
I know this has been a while since you posted, buy thought I'd add my input in if it helps at all.

I have the 8 black and its for recording 90 minute youth baseball games. I live in Texas so it definitely gets blazing hot some days, and there's very little cover so the camera is directly in the sun. It does overheat and shut down on hotter days. I use a powerbank but I never thought about removing the battery, I may try that next game. Right now, I'm looking for alternatives to keep it cool without making the view behind homeplate too blocked with stuff all over. I use the lynkspyder as well and it's awesome, completely worth it.

I record in uhd, not 4k and I use my phone (Samsung Note9) to merge the videos together. It's free with no watermark.

Happy to answer any questions if you still have any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts