GoPro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my Karma Grip today, and I can already safely say the Removu S1 blows it out the water!!

Don't get me wrong, I've only played with the Grip for a few minutes, and it works pretty well - I like the way it directly controls the cameras, switching it on and off with the handgrip, charging it, and so on. Its also very robust, and I must admit I like the design - its sleek and 'neat'.

However, theres no way to lock the pan axis at all. Also the motors make a buzzing noise constantly, which is picked up by the GoPro's audio. The cameras audio is already a little muffled when in the harness, but the motor noise makes it even worse. Not something you will probably notice too much in noisy environments, but certainly something you'll hear when shooting in quieter environments.

Full review to come soon!!

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Well We all knowIt's all about Action so sound is as important in any Action camera if truely asked and hearing motor noise tells me the gimbal is using power tweaking the settings can use more or less power to run the gimbal and that is what creates motor noise. Basecamp s and KK boards you can set things to your liking..

Glad I P A S S E D on the gimbal thing I learned its not about the 3 axis anymore for me Lol

FISH

Great to hear we all look forward to an exhausting test wit hthe battery how long it runs?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I looked at the GoPro Gimbal and it did not impress me. No joystick to control the axis is the biggest negative for me. I know I can unlock the axis then move it the lock it again but I'd rather have a joystick to move it for a smooth pan or tilt motion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Still waiting for one that's truly water proof. This is essential splash proof only. Disappointed in the Removu S1 because they started out shooting for waterproof and also ended up "weather proof", which is essentially splash proof. Slick doesn't seem to be moving at all. There's another one, Sybrillo (sp?), that claims to be water proof, but that's not yet in production that I can see. So far they're all essentially similar, none inexpensive for sure, and not one on the market with a motor that is waterproof. Stabylizr is waterproof, but it's mechanical, not electronic, and they stopped selling as soon as they filled their initial indiegogo order anyway, so not available anymore. There was another one that was cheap, feature rich and claimed water proofing, but that one died in the startup phase (probably more promise than reality there.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like to know is it worth spending $300 on it or wait till they fix some bugs as they have a big audio issue with the Hero5.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
I would like to know is it worth spending $300 on it or wait till they fix some bugs as they have a big audio issue with the Hero5.
The Hero 5 audo is hte issue not the Grip, you either get a Hero 4 or wait for the Hero 5 to get fixed.:wink:

Reactions: sam311

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still waiting for one that's truly water proof. This is essential splash proof only. Disappointed in the Removu S1 because they started out shooting for waterproof and also ended up "weather proof", which is essentially splash proof. Slick doesn't seem to be moving at all. There's another one, Sybrillo (sp?), that claims to be water proof, but that's not yet in production that I can see. So far they're all essentially similar, none inexpensive for sure, and not one on the market with a motor that is waterproof. Stabylizr is waterproof, but it's mechanical, not electronic, and they stopped selling as soon as they filled their initial indiegogo order anyway, so not available anymore. There was another one that was cheap, feature rich and claimed water proofing, but that one died in the startup phase (probably more promise than reality there.)
Gimbals are not to be used under water due to the resistance of the water itself. You can get good stabilisation under water without the use of a gimbal for this reason, so not sure why you would want to use a gimbal under water in the first instance.
Splash proof - as I see it - is good enough to take out in the rain etc. Unless you're looking to shoot while surfing for instance, a splash proof design would be adequate for the majority of users, and these gimbal manufacturers aim towards the majority for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The only problem I would see is that the motors would fail if water got into them. It will slowly build up rust and start to fail and especially with such precision moves by those motors.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Gimbals are not to be used under water due to the resistance of the water itself. You can get good stabilisation under water without the use of a gimbal for this reason, so not sure why you would want to use a gimbal under water in the first instance.
Splash proof - as I see it - is good enough to take out in the rain etc. Unless you're looking to shoot while surfing for instance, a splash proof design would be adequate for the majority of users, and these gimbal manufacturers aim towards the majority for obvious reasons.
Ifti, I kayak in salt water. Regularly gets splashed with a wave and could take a real dunking if the boat flips. Splash proof for light snow and rain is fine for occasional wetting with fresh water, but salt water, especially with regular splashing, is highly corrosive. So if it isn't truly water proof it isn't really worth ruining a $400 item.

This is not for diving or pool or swimming, as I think you mistook my meaning.

Believe me, kayaking has such pitch and yaw that some people get seasick watching a video taken from the boat, and correcting in post isn't really great.

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ifti, I kayak in salt water. Regularly gets splashed with a wave and could take a real dunking if the boat flips. Splash proof for light snow and rain is fine for occasional wetting with fresh water, but salt water, especially with regular splashing, is highly corrosive. So if it isn't truly water proof it isn't really worth ruining a $400 item.

This is not for diving or pool or swimming, as I think you mistook my meaning.

Believe me, kayaking has such pitch and yaw that some people get seasick watching a video taken from the boat, and correcting in post isn't really great.
In which case, I agree - you need a true waterproof unit!!!
That would make for some pretty cool video though! :wink:

·
Registered
221 Posts
In which case, I agree - you need a true waterproof unit!!!
That would make for some pretty cool video though! :wink:
Check out gnarlydognews.blogspot.com for some fun and spectacular kayaking videos over the years. This guy literally plays all the angles, in video=ing and in kayaking!
But a gimbal to smooth out the pitch and yaw would do me wonders.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Removu looks really good except that price point but then I actually looked into the Removu and there's so many options like mourning on a tripod or any GoPro attachment points. And you can use the remote to change angles, it sounds like it could be the dream gimbal to have.

Being able to wireless control the gimbal for direction is a great idea.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you want a sweet gimbal, get a DJI OSMO Mobile and put a GoPro adapter on it. I got one for the H5 and it works great. I added the cell phone holder to the side to hold a Zoom H1 and a wireless microphone pack to get good audio. I just sync it up in post using Premiere.

Now you can use any phone or gopro with an excellent gimbal.

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want a sweet gimbal, get a DJI OSMO Mobile and put a GoPro adapter on it. I got one for the H5 and it works great. I added the cell phone holder to the side to hold a Zoom H1 and a wireless microphone pack to get good audio. I just sync it up in post using Premiere.

Now you can use any phone or gopro with an excellent gimbal.
The gimbal is not waterproof

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought the DJI needs the app to run in order for it to work doesn't it?

That's why I stayed away from it.
With the DJI Osmo Mobile, you can use any camera app I believe. The original DJI Osmo you need the GO app to control the settings and frame your shot otherwise your shooting blindly. I have the original Osmo and although it shoots excellent video, it can be a hassle having to use your phone to shoot. If I can find a suitable gimbal for my Hero 4/5, I might ditch the Osmo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts