GoPro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I make driving videos. I've been using the GoPro Hero 7 Black for a long time and I've had no issues related to the ones that I'm facing with the GoPro Hero 9 Black.

When using the GoPro Hero 9 Black, I have come across two different problems.

#1: I have tried every stabilization setting under 5K 30fps; including linear + horizon leveling + hypersmooth; linear + horizon leveling + boost; linear + hypersmooth and linear + boost. I need to have some stabilization as when you drive on American roads, you're going to come across many bumps that would make footage look bad on a camera that doesn't have the stabilization features that the GoPro has.

My issue is that whenever I turn a corner, or go around a curve, the footage that the camera records "Shifts" along with the curve. I'm no expert, but it seems to me like the stabilization features are so focused on having "Horizon leveling" to where the camera struggles to record "Smooth footage" when going around a curve or turning a corner. The camera will try to stay locked into the horizon... even more so ironically with horizon leveling off... and therefore it makes the footage clunky when either turning the corner or going around a curve. That's the best way I can explain it.

#2: When filming on a bright and sunny day, the camera struggles to produce solid footage when shooting in certain directions. I don't know the correct terminology for this particular issue, so please forgive me. I have looked it up many times and I have not been able to find an answer or anyone discussing the issue. If it's a protune setting issue, I'm all ears on what a proper protune setting would be.

On a bright sunny day, I usually will film in 5K 30fps, 100 min ISO, 200 max ISO, 5500 K white balance, auto shutter speed, flat color, medium sharpness and zero EV comp. This only happens on bright sunny days when I'm filming "towards" the direction of the sun. Not directly into the direction of the sun, but towards. So lets say I'm filming while pointing the camera west, and the sun is not in the frame but it's above in the sky towards the west. The problem I run across is like a blue circular color blotch, and the film goes to a bluer tint than what the rest of the film shows.

These problems have really frustrated me and I feel like there has to be a way to fix these issues either through protune settings or upcoming firmware updates. I'm interested in seeing if anyone else has come across these issues as well, or if anyone would know what I'm doing wrong with my settings that could be causing the problems. Like I mentioned in the beginning, the GoPro Hero 7 Black has never given me such issues. So yes, this is frustrating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure issue #1 out, where the video shifts while going around curves? I just upgraded from an older GoPro to a hero 10, and have the same issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've known this behavior since Hero 8!
But it is much better in 4K with the hero 9.
Imho the only alternative to eliminate this is to record in 4: 3 wide or 16:9 Linear - WITHOUT stabilization and then to stabilize the film material afterwards with ReelSteady and to activate the horizontal leveling.

·
Administrator
2,920 Posts
That 'shift' in the image is normal I'm afraid.
The way image stabilisation, such as Hypersmooth, works is by focusing on a reference point within the frame, and then keeping that point steady in the frame while zooming in a little and using the outside of the frame as spare space to move around and create the smooth effect. Hence why video is cropped in slightly when using any digital image stabilisation.
So, for example, if you are recording your road trip, the camera may 'look' at the road ahead and keep it in the shot as its reference point.

Now, Hypersmooth is quite aggressive. When you are turning, or panning, the camera doesn't know you are turning - its still trying to use that reference point and lock onto it thinking that its just stabilising the shot. It then needs to 'release' that reference point eventually, and that's when you get that jerky movement.

This is normal. There is no fix. The only option is to switch Hypersmooth off - you will notice panning shots do not have that jerky movement any more. Hence why external gimbals are still around - they will give you the smoothest panning shots possible.

In essence, Hypersmooth is best suited to forward moving motion rather then panning, or turning, shots.

I created a video about it with the Hero 7 here - when Hypersmooth was introduced and gaining popularity. You can really see how much Hypersmooth has developed over the years though - it doesn't look nearly as good on the Hero 7!

Anyways, video is a bit old, but still valid and explains the jerky movements you mention:

·
Registered
62 Posts
This "shift" occurs due to the gyro sensors in the camera. Because even videos where the camera is pointed at a fixed point (e.g. from the bonnet into the driver's cabin) show this shifting in curves (there is nothing to stabilize in the video ... but the gyro sensors register bumps or the G Forces in the curve).
Although the sensor data is also evaluated by ReelSteady in post-processing, such a shift does not happen here!

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
processing the camera thinks ahead ever since Hypersmooth was introduced, was it 1Mb of dedication of ram

·
Administrator
2,920 Posts
This "shift" occurs due to the gyro sensors in the camera. Because even videos where the camera is pointed at a fixed point (e.g. from the bonnet into the driver's cabin) show this shifting in curves (there is nothing to stabilize in the video ... but the gyro sensors register bumps or the G Forces in the curve).
Although the sensor data is also evaluated by ReelSteady in post-processing, such a shift does not happen here!
Its more based on scene analysis then the actual sensors. Its nothing to do with 'bumps' etc - otherwise this would affect forward moving motion too.

Reelsteady uses gyro data though, which may by why it performs better, but the actual camera uses traditional image-analysis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry, as I already wrote:
Because even videos where the camera is pointed at a fixed point (e.g. from the bonnet into the driver's cabin) show this shifting in curves (there is nothing to stabilize in the video ... but the gyro sensors register bumps or the G Forces in the curve).
what here:
can be clearly seen from 2:20 (recorded with Hero 8)

At this point, at the latest, it becomes apparent that no classic "image analysis" is taking place - you can see what this looks like on other cameras that do it that way.
This behavior is much better with the Hero 9! However, this can only be completely eliminated by stabilizing in post-processing with ReelSteady.
Incidentally, this does not happen with the Hero 8 when hiking or slow cycling - the G-forces are apparently no longer so decisive in curves. It is also less noticeable when recording in Wide or Superview.

·
Administrator
2,920 Posts
ReelSteady uses the sensors to stabilise any footage - the GoPro uses scene analysis algorithms - hence why there is a difference in the results from each. Your desired output depends upon the shooting scenario and the video you wish to capture/produce.

Some of the output from FPV drone footage that's been processed via ReelSteady is simply amazing!

·
Registered
62 Posts
You watched the above video from 2:20 ? That was NOT stabilized with ReelSteady but directly in the Hero 8!
So how do you explain the behavior in the scene ?! There is nothing to analyze, the movement in the video is the result of the gyro sensors of the camera with Hypersmooth on.
However, it is not the current Hypersmooth version of ReelSteady. Hero 9 has an updated version that works better. By the way, ReelSteady had a similar problem in an earlier version - not as bad, but still. In fact, I think it was an early ReelSteady update for the Hero 9 that had similar behavior.

·
Administrator
2,920 Posts
Im not a GoPro engineer - I'm simply telling you what's stated by GoPro and by ReelSteady. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, there is nothing to "believe" - because of the sequence described in the video, I received different information from GoPro .... that's why I ask - maybe someone will get in touch with me once they really know what is going on.

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
so that movement is a concern. at 2:202 as the camera faces you. how can none correct it. Turn off EIS and try again

·
Registered
62 Posts
The behavior does not exist without EIS - but it should not be the case with EIS if only classic image analysis takes place (other cameras that only work in this way do not do either).

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
we at the forums do not have all the answers so suggest get with GoPro on your existing issue . its noted there a few years ago about it

Reactions: ozoffi

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is not a "problem" and cannot be solved. It is simply a behavior of the stabilization of the GoPro! It is only interesting that the GoPro gives different information ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
En vista del servicio posventa ineficaz, su renuencia a ayudar a los clientes y la mala calidad de sus productos, lanzó una iniciativa de recolección de firmas para presentar una demanda colectiva contra GoPro. En esto expresamos la mala calidad de sus productos siendo los precios elevados, el pésimo sistema de postventa y la reticencia a complementa una cámara mientras reparan la tuya, dejándote así sin dispositivos con la pérdida de ingresos y teniendo así que complementa ese tiempo, pues con otra cámara o dejar de producir. Es intolerable la cantidad de fallas que tienen estas cámaras y lo que esto significa para las personas que se ganan la vida con ellas, por lo que pronto les dejará un enlace para iniciar una campaña de desprestigio y para iniciar una denuncia. Solo entonces esta empresa cambiará su política de garantía y revelará una cámara al cliente, mientras repara o cambia la suya. Os animo a difundir este texto en todos los foros de GoPro y similares. Comienza una batalla contra GoPro...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same problem that did not exist before, for this reason and because of the poor treatment I receive from Gopro's after-sales service, I want to collectively report them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In light of ineffective after-sales service, their reluctance to help customers, and the poor quality of their products, they launched a signature-gathering initiative to file a class action lawsuit against GoPro. In this we express the poor quality of their products being the high prices, the lousy after-sales system and the reluctance to complement a camera while they repair yours, thus leaving you without devices with the loss of income and thus having to complement that time, well with another camera or stop producing. The number of flaws these cameras have and what this means for the people who make a living with them is intolerable, so it will soon leave them a link to start a smear campaign and to start a complaint. Only then will this company change its warranty policy and reveal a camera to the customer, while repairing or changing theirs. I encourage you to spread this text in all GoPro forums and the like. A battle against GoPro begins...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts