GoPro Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I make driving videos. I've been using the GoPro Hero 7 Black for a long time and I've had no issues related to the ones that I'm facing with the GoPro Hero 9 Black.

When using the GoPro Hero 9 Black, I have come across two different problems.

#1: I have tried every stabilization setting under 5K 30fps; including linear + horizon leveling + hypersmooth; linear + horizon leveling + boost; linear + hypersmooth and linear + boost. I need to have some stabilization as when you drive on American roads, you're going to come across many bumps that would make footage look bad on a camera that doesn't have the stabilization features that the GoPro has.

My issue is that whenever I turn a corner, or go around a curve, the footage that the camera records "Shifts" along with the curve. I'm no expert, but it seems to me like the stabilization features are so focused on having "Horizon leveling" to where the camera struggles to record "Smooth footage" when going around a curve or turning a corner. The camera will try to stay locked into the horizon... even more so ironically with horizon leveling off... and therefore it makes the footage clunky when either turning the corner or going around a curve. That's the best way I can explain it.

#2: When filming on a bright and sunny day, the camera struggles to produce solid footage when shooting in certain directions. I don't know the correct terminology for this particular issue, so please forgive me. I have looked it up many times and I have not been able to find an answer or anyone discussing the issue. If it's a protune setting issue, I'm all ears on what a proper protune setting would be.

On a bright sunny day, I usually will film in 5K 30fps, 100 min ISO, 200 max ISO, 5500 K white balance, auto shutter speed, flat color, medium sharpness and zero EV comp. This only happens on bright sunny days when I'm filming "towards" the direction of the sun. Not directly into the direction of the sun, but towards. So lets say I'm filming while pointing the camera west, and the sun is not in the frame but it's above in the sky towards the west. The problem I run across is like a blue circular color blotch, and the film goes to a bluer tint than what the rest of the film shows.

These problems have really frustrated me and I feel like there has to be a way to fix these issues either through protune settings or upcoming firmware updates. I'm interested in seeing if anyone else has come across these issues as well, or if anyone would know what I'm doing wrong with my settings that could be causing the problems. Like I mentioned in the beginning, the GoPro Hero 7 Black has never given me such issues. So yes, this is frustrating.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts