GoPro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new here and hope I can find some help. For a project we got 5 Gopro, Hero4 and Hero5 and used them on a 1 hour shoot. It is a multiangle Protune shoot. We thought it would be no problem to synchronize the footage. What we did not expect was that the GoPro does split longer files in segments, after we found out we did a Google research and learned that the best way would be to let Gopro studio transcode the files into the Cineform codec and import from there to FCPX. That done we ended with 49 clips not knowing what camera they belong to and no way to synchronize them. This way the footage is unusable. Fortunately the files are still on the 5 chips which are marked for the camera that was used.
We need the best video quality possible and need them in sync., preferable stitched together.

Any advice for a workflow would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi Saba1,

Have you tried just importing the MP4 files straight into FCPX without converting them into the CineForm format? They GoPro naming structure should allow you to know the order of the clips. This would also work if you first convert the files to Cineform format.
GOPR1234.mp4 (first video)
GP011234.mp4 (1st chapter of the original video)
GP021234.mp4 (2nd chapter of the same video)

Alternately, if you want to bring the video stitched together into FCPX, you can create a separate project for each camera in GoPro Studio, import the videos into the project, convert them to the CineForm format, add them in order into the timeline and export that timeline into a single file which can then be imported into FCPX. This however, will require a lot of hard drive space as CineForm codec is notorious for over-inflating your video file size.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast answer. I know about the file structure. Is there no way to do the stitching automatic.. When we did work with Canon there was never this problem..Imported from the camera they where always stitched in the first place.
You say "CineForm codec is notorious for over-inflating" is the quality when importing directly into FCPX and optimizing the same? I remember reading that picture quality from CineForm should be superior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I import directly into FCPX. Put the clips one after the other on the timeline. Export.
Done.
THX for the answer. The problem is that it is 49 clips from 5 cameras, all clips look the same (on the thumb) and 2 of the cameras do the same file naming.... If only you could customize the file naming or at least name the camera...
is there a program that can stitch?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi Saba01,

Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the chaptering that is done by GoPro, it is intentional and a precaution taken in case the camera drops or there is a jolt that corrupts the file, this way can still have some of the footage if an issue arises. You can read more about it here:
https://gopro.com/support/articles/gopro-camera-file-chaptering-information

If 2 of the cameras have the same naming then you must have them in separate folders or else one would have over-written the other. If they are in separate folders then you can just rename those files to differentiate them. For the others just use the naming as a guide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could be worth stitching the files with Mpegstream clip, doing one memory card at a time should give you the correct result, use the list/batch list options and then tick the join all files box as you drag in the clips into the app.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts