GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 1st GoPro and I'm having an issue with the sound. I get a crackling noise that seems to almost go away when something in the video is making a lot of noise. It's happened from the beginning. What could cause this and how do I correct it?

I don't start to use the GoPro HD2 until :50 of this video

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to add that that

I wanted to add that that video was shot with the suction cup mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not shure... but... It's

I'm not shure... but... It's probably the Motor that makes "a lot of noise", much of the microphone can accept?

·
Administrator
9,308 Posts
try some cushion or tissue

try some cushion or tissue around the mic, if the gphd2 use an external, but simply placed in a field it will crackle to, so it is the sound board of the gopro,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xisco wrote:I'm not shure...

Xisco said:
I'm not shure... but... It's probably the Motor that makes "a lot of noise", much of the microphone can accept?
The problem is that when the car is at it's quietest, the mic produces the most noise.

Here's my bike

At idle, it's not loud at all, but that's when the crackle is really bad. I've seen many videos that have sound (other than music) much louder than this and they sound clear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fishycomics wrote:try some

fishycomics said:
try some cushion or tissue around the mic, if the gphd2 use an external, but simply placed in a field it will crackle to, so it is the sound board of the gopro,
I'm not using an external mic, I've tried tissue in the case and had the same results. :(

I'm having other issues as well and have and RMA # to send it back. I'm just wondering if the mic is also bad, I hope when I get my replacement I don't have the same issue.

·
Banned
31 Posts
01gt46 wrote:Xisco wrote:I'm

01gt46 said:
Xisco said:
The problem is that when the car is at it's quietest, the mic produces the most noise.

Here's my bike

At idle, it's not loud at all, but that's when the crackle is really bad. I've seen many videos that have sound (other than music) much louder than this and they sound clear.
Just a thought, but most engines have more vibration at idle than they do at higher RPM's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Admin, I thought about that

Admin, I thought about that but would think the I shouldn't have that problem with the suction cup mount. I know on the other mounts people use the rubber grommet to help with that. Also, my bike is very smooth at idle, I've seen videos of Harley's and dirtbikes and never noticed it in their videos.

I'm really puzzled.

·
Administrator
9,308 Posts
sorry bout the Pm.
I said if

sorry bout the Pm.

I said if the cam has a audio gain feeature that is hte problem it is hunting for sound. I also said to try it in a quiet room, if not the car nothing on then ignition on and then engine on.

noise supressor, electronics sometimes a camera may not work well in the car. a few I own did have that issue. If a auto focus the lens rattle constantly jumping but a perfect pic, had to lock it in manual.

all looks good,gonna hit reply now LOL dam site

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that out when I get back home.

I also wanted to mention that when converting in Cinneform (sp?) I had tried it at the default max volume and also at ~75% with the same results.
l
I'll be going on vacation next week so I don't want to send it back now and risk not getting it back in time. I hope I can find a solution soon, of not I hope the next camera doesn't act up. I'll keep y'all posted but if anyone has any ideas, please keep them coming.

·
Administrator
9,308 Posts
I guess a grain of whatever

I guess a grain of whatever can get caught at the hole. I deffently divert with some type of deflector even if it has to be taped around. great to hear, and hope you enjoy your trip priceless moments should not be ruined over some simple things....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crackling sound solution

I believe that crackling noise is due to the loose fit between the mount and the part that clips into it. The whole camera and bracket is rattling around in the fixed mount. I stuck the mount to the windshield of my Harley and was very disappointed at my first few videos. The crackling noise was horrible and the video was very jittery. I wedged a thin piece of card board (a piece of paper folded over a few times also works) between the stick-on mount and the clip-in bracket and it reduced the crackling noise a lot. The video however was still jittery but not as bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.