GoPro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused why certain micro USB cable doesn't work to power the Hero 4 Silver via the USB connector (there is a battery inside the gopro), when those cables seem to power any other USB device.
Other normal non-right-angle cables work to power the gopro fine.

The cables I'm wondering about are right-angle cables, see links below.

EDIT: Dang it, it won't let me post links! Argh. Just search for "USB A male to Mini USB B 5Pin Male right angle adapter " and "USB A male right angle to Mini 5 pin left angle adapter"

It doesn't make sense, because all these cables power non-gopro devices just fine, but only a normal straight-type cable powers the gopro. So clearly all the cables have power flowing through it, why do only some of them work with the gopro?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional info: All three of the cables power a Hero 3 fine. But only the straight one powers the Hero 4 silver, and the two right-angle ones don't?? This is making less and less sense. Unless the Hero 4 connector is physically defective or out of spec, so only certain power cables work with it.

·
Administrator
9,600 Posts
Welcome site rules visit back after five posts for a link or go mobile and cheat.

Yep not all will work on gopro camera's due to the pin layout or diode, resister missing or a loop.

Been many years like this way before gopro was around had to short a pin to get power to work on the Aipteks who, AIPTEK

FISh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. If there was a missing component in the cable, why would it work with a hero 3 work but not a hero 4?
Is there a way to tell what is missing? I thought a USB cable was just a cable...didn't realize there were internal components.

·
Administrator
9,600 Posts
we know there are power, data and mic (two) 10 pins

1. 5V
  2. USB data-
  3. USB data+
  4. ID (pull low to GND through resistor to activate pin 6-10, 100k for AV out and 330k for mic in).
  5. GND
  6. Mic input?
  7. Mic input?
  8. Video GND
  9. Video out
  10. Audio out
http://www.chargeconverter.com/store/usbpcb

knowing you want a 90 degree Ebay one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. But for charging, I would think the other pins don't matter, and the 5V and GND inputs don't require a resistor or diode to operate.
Since, the cables work fine for the Hero 3 and any other USB device except for the Hero 4...doesn't that mean the power component of the cables that I have are already correct? Ie what additional power(charging)-related components could the ebay cables have?

·
Administrator
9,600 Posts
I have a good number of cables, aftermarket, I have extension cables to. and some work some don't. It's always best to use the gopro cable first, we also have a 30 pin cable for the back that is aftermarket.so it is like we find out hit-n-miss.

If a loop is missing that will be the issue to charge the camera. the loop canbe for ac source, like I meantioned a post or two about Aiptek. not into great detail .. cables are cables and sure enough somed on't work

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, okay.
"If a loop is missing that will be the issue to charge the camera."
You references this a few times, what do you mean by "loop" in the context of the power terminals or the cable?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick bump, in case anyone knows what the "loop" refers to!
I ordered the cable that fishycomics suggested, but would like to order other cables as well...but don't know what to look for.

·
Administrator
9,600 Posts
I only reference not suggested to order, and a loop that I refer to is about getting power and talked about back when Aiptek that many here do not know about, and displayed the pin layout from a site to better understand the gopro cable.

with the Aiptek I talked about the loop and again said it can be for an ac source.

I suggested to try your cables you have, gopro first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. In that case, would you expect that power cables that work on a Hero 3 would work on a Hero 4 as well?
The pinouts should be the same, so I'm not sure why they don't work on a Hero 4. That's what I'm trying to understand.
It should be just two wires in the cable: power and ground. If power flows through to work with a Hero 3, the cable is fine. Then why doesn't it work with a Hero 4?

·
Administrator
9,600 Posts
I use a 15 year old cable and it works on my hero 4 from a mustek camera that came out in 1991.

I have proven some cables not to work causing a sound issue no less and that may just show the 15 year cable.

Not sure. and do not know why? Maybe like said certain cables work and don't

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"I have proven some cables not to work causing a sound issue no less and that may just show the 15 year cable.

Right, I understand that more complex functions (sounds, etc) may not work with various cables, but I fail to see how something simple like power could work on Hero 3, but not Hero 4. It is just bare metal/wire connections.

Unless the Hero 4 connector is faulty in some way, and only makes good contact with cables with certain pin depths, etc. That would be odd, but to me it's sounding more like a Hero 4 problem than a cable problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts