GoPro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that I could use the accessory port from my car to power a Hero3 black edition, if so what do I need. I spoke with a GoPro tech yesterday about charging my batteries thru my I Pad wall charger, he said that was a no- no as the IPad plug has too many amps, that I needed a 5 volt 1 amp plug which they did not have, so I checked Amazon and can't find it there, any ideas ? Thanks in advance for any help. Milo

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
i use the adapter supplied with my TomTom satnav to power/charge my GoPro, you can get plugs that go into the socket that convert to USB, but i've not found one yet that gives enough ampage to run the camera off it without draining the internal battery as well

GoPro do sell there own which i assume is powerful enough http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/auto-charger, but its not cheap

& just to add, the GoPro technician was wrong, just because your wall charger is capable of supplying 2amps doesn't mean it will damage the camera. The camera will only draw as much as it needs, your wall charger will just be able to exceed that amount but it won't be forced to deliver it all

·
Administrator
2,799 Posts
Either an iPad or iPhone wall charger is fine - as pfandango mentioned above.
In the car you can use a standard USB car charger - I have one with 2 USB ports on it, one for 1A and the other is 2A. It's a unit by smatree.

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
careful of knock off they do a mighty fine job as a plug , nothing more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car charger for Hero 3 ?

Does GoPro have them ? I had a conversation with a GoPro tech yesterday to help me new settings to get more time on video, he got me up to 3hr. 23 min. With a 32gb card, as I was at 2 hr. 14 min., that was a help, guess I'm up for a 64gb. next.

Thanks, I'm so enjoying this forum, Milo

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Just do n ot get the Ebay ones hat are from China.some are knock offs and some are not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car plug for powering Hero3 ?

I have noticed accessory plug ends that have two USB ports, I sure these are cheap China knockoffs in dollar stores, but I am somewhat scared of them, but I also see some on Amazon, but who knows where the came from, just a crap shoot I guess, guess I will cal GoPro Monday again

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have noticed accessory plug ends that have two USB ports, I sure these are cheap China knockoffs in dollar stores, but I am somewhat scared of them, but I also see some on Amazon, but who knows where the came from, just a crap shoot I guess, guess I will cal GoPro Monday again
i've tried many a cheap plug as you describe, & not one has been able to supply the 1amp that could keep the GoPro happy. This is what i use to charge/power mine & never had any problems http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOMTOM-023818-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-ADAPTER-OEM-MINI-USB-CHARGER-w-2A-FUSE-/351101244557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bf43d48d

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was under the impression that I could use the accessory port from my car to power a Hero3 black edition, if so what do I need. I spoke with a GoPro tech yesterday about charging my batteries thru my I Pad wall charger, he said that was a no- no as the IPad plug has too many amps, that I needed a 5 volt 1 amp plug which they did not have, so I checked Amazon and can't find it there, any ideas ? Thanks in advance for any help. Milo
I use the standard USB ports that are in my vehicle and have had no issues at all and when out bush I use my solar panels through an inverter works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts