GoPro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the mics on the Hero5 were very boomy and subject to massive wind noise when mounted on the outside of a car. I tried to remedy this with a Rode VideoMic Go and the foam sock that comes with it. However before trying it with the foam sock, I was urged to try the deadcat mic sock instead.

I tried this out the other night and was far from impressed with the audio quality. Even the slightest bit of wind would make it tick/click and distort the sound with a few seconds gap between wind noise and the mic normalising the sound again when not in a windy environment.

Are there any tips or tricks to this setup I should know about? I really want to use this GoPro for car footage (both inside and outside). All the connections are in properly and nothing appears to be wrong with the sound quality outside of a windy area. I'd really like to get this sorted before my next outing so I can get some good quality audio as well as video. TIA.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have no issues with my mic and deadcat. Make sure the mic is completely inserted into the deadcat and the deadcat has no movement on the mic.

It helps with wind noise and you are putting it on the outside of the car driving, that won’t help at all.

·
Administrator
9,714 Posts
As mentioned above:

you can have the promic all set up less hte mic plugged and hte internal mics will pick up sound. so you have to make sure that Red spiral cable is fully inserted both the mic and promic? I made a video to listen to a spacific sound and this is what I got driving on a road.

Make sure you are set up right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts