GoPro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like your feedback on my latest video project. It's a story of family and highlights a recent trip to discover my roots. It's 24 minutes in length, and I'm looking for constructive feedback regarding (1) did it keep your interest? (2) what did you think of the cinematography and video composition? (3) thoughts on music used? (4) and finally, storytelling.

This was shot using a GoPro Hero 4 Black (including Karma at times), GoPro Hero 5 and a Sony 4K FDR-AX53. Editing was done in iMovie.

I look forward your feedback. TIA.

·
Registered
564 Posts
As I subscribed your channel I saw this vid a few days before, I also give you a comment but I guess you replaced your vid for a few times at YouTube.
Anyway here my thoughts- as I saw the vid first time I didn't had enough time for full length but I noticed to watch later till the end.
So (1) yes it caught my interest and I was warped into your lifestory especially the beginning with the photos was very interesting and gave a good start for watching the whole vid.
Composition (2) is great with much variety, it's like watching a TV report- I guess it is not easy to fill up so much time with pictures.
Music (3) is very good fitting and generates much emotion it's sometimes in a positive way oldschol and keeps the story running.
Finally (4) storytelling is really outstanding because you have a great story to tell, it's your life- main thing for me is the great voice over with the good sounding calm voice.

It's a great vid more a meditation about life and getting older and of course it has sometimes a little bit to much length but it's your story so it's alright that you take your time.

Congrats to this outstanding work!

Ciao Rob

My channel

Robert Tatar

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rob. Yes, I did see your comments to my channel and I appreciate your feedback, As you noticed, I did make some edits and uploaded each newer version. Sorry about that.

Thanks for answering my questions. This was an exercise in storytelling and the first time I've taken on this type of project. I believe music is so very important and sets a mood - this is where I start. Next, I add images that fit the audio and finally the narrative comes last. None of us particularly like listening to our own voices, so your reassurance is welcome. Thanks!

Tell me more about 'a little bit too much length'. My goal is always to keep my viewers interested. What sections lasted longer than you would have liked?

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mallllias - not sure what happened. It's working fine for me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Alright Steve, here the scenes where I put your vid a little bit faster.
9:30-----14:00-----15:12-----ooh that's all.

As said the beginning is great and the style reminds me at a film like Steven Spielberg.
Guess it was long, hard work (how much time you take for the project?) but it was sure also much emotional and fun work.

Ciao Rob

My channel
Robert Tatar

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rob. Your feedback will help to make the next project even better. This took me 6 months to produce. I left for Newfoundland in late May, and filmed all that you see over a 1 week period. I always sort through ALL video first, preparing a spreadsheet, listing date, file name and a brief description of content. I also note any 'Glamour Shots'. As mentioned before, I typically know what music I will use and start there. Finding the right songs take months, and are selected long before the trip. I probably put an average of 10 hours per week in post production. It's a labor of love and I'm already thinking about my next project - a trip to Seattle and Vancouver, followed by a cruise to Alaska next summer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts