GoPro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, as you can probably see by my post count, I am very new to the forums and to GoProing in general. I'm going on a three-week island hopping trip to Greece next month and I want to definitely document some of the neat and interesting places I will be visiting and exploring. My dad has been kind enough to lend me his GoPro HD Hero 2 for the trip so I am just on here getting information and advice on how to maximize the potential and use of the GoPro while travelling Greece.

While researching the GoPro, two features I want to have are:

a. The ability to view photos and videos from the unit itself (done through the LCD Bacpac).
b. The ability to mount the GoPro to different types of vehicles (I will be renting a combination of different types of ATVs and Mopeds to ride through the countryside and I would like to document some of this with the GoPro). I am still figuring out if I want to use a handlebar mount or just bite the bullet and use a helmet mount.

The dilemma I obviously ran into when researching such accessories was whether or not these accessories should be OEM (OEM meaning sold by GoPro themselves). I found for example LCD BacPacs on eBay that were significantly cheaper than the LCD BacPacs produced and sold by GoPro. As well, I found significantly cheaper mounts for vehicles, helmets, and chests on eBay that are not sold by GoPro. What I would like to get some insight to is whether or not these accessories are worth the money. Will I be getting bad quality products by purchasing off-brand, non-OEM accessories for my Hero 2? Or am I just paying extra for my accessories to have the GoPro name attached to them if I bought them from GoPro themselves?

Definitely looking for people's takes on non-OEM accessories with specific reference to LCD BacPacs and different mounting kits.

Thanks!

Edit: This thread may need to be moved to the "mounts, accessories, and modifications" forum. My apologies for the error.

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
first welcome in the forums

LCD screen will use up power but able to be turned off while recording.

a external battery pack 5000mah or higher is good. sells for $10.00 last 5 hours. and the battery will last another hour.

windshield mount I use the gopro one, but aftermarket will do. I just got this clamp one that may work for the moped aftermarket, got no use for now, but later on down the road.

a naked case be nice with some ear muffs to take the wind noise away. did a great job for me on my vacations, as well t he gopro lens protector

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Is the external battery pack you are talking about non-GoPro? Also are the ear muffs for wind reduction something like this?

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
correct cheap ebay stuff. nothing more I cut the muff stuff out to fit.

so when I was out the door it ws sweet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you find the quality of "cheap" eBay accessories to be? My greatest fear is buying a cheap mount off of eBay and watching my whole GoPro fall off a moving vehicle cause the mount was built poorly.

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
How do you find the quality of "cheap" eBay accessories to be? My greatest fear is buying a cheap mount off of eBay and watching my whole GoPro fall off a moving vehicle cause the mount was built poorly.

I do not buy the adhesive original in aftermarkets. I buy certain things, aftermarkets

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply! I will update this thread if I need any more info on non-GoPro accessories. I think I am just going to take the plunge a buy something off of eBay to see how it performs.

Also, I don't think I will be purchasing the LCD BacPac as I just found out I have the WiFi w/ remote BacPac meaning I can just preview the shot using my Galaxy S3.

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
Yes gopro app and Wi-Fi, remember Wi-Fi eats the bat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is very true. Any suggestions for which mount might be best for a vehicle riding (scooter and ATV) I was originally thinking a mount on the vehicle however since these vehicles will be rentals, placing and removing the adhesive would be a rather large pain.

Would you recommend a head strap or chest strap mount for such endeavours?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was thinking on purchasing a universal clamp mount like this one here. It seems quite universal for both bicycles and motor bikes and it's construction quality seems to be quite rugged based on this YouTube video featuring it:

It is a little pricey but I have reassurance the thing isn't going to fall off my ATV while I'm trekking up a mountain in Greece.

The only reason I have been leaning towards the head strap is due to the fact that I can use it with any vehicle and it's quite portable and versatile for travel. The one complaint I have seen however with the head strap is that it constantly adjusts and moves around the head with motion (ie. riding on a scooter or ATV). Anyone have any experience in this? Is this really the case for the head strap mount?

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
always teather with any type of mount , just extra precaution. I know when I fly I used the head strap , you have to get the angle right, and then wherever you place your eyes or head. it will follow, so not all shots will be in frame

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, any suggestions then for a fixed mount that is adaptable to multiple vehicles? I will be riding everything from Peugeot Scooters to ATVs. Not sure if a simple handlebar mount will do the trick for such variety. I'd also like to avoid the adhesive route if possible.

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
I say if those adhesives are the way to go, leavem behind they'll do the job for the purpose best to have some than none

k Ifti he is the man of gadget things of the gopro

I did a 14 day cruise, all I used was a ext battery , tripod and monopole and egg timer from ikea I made

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't mind paying for the adhesives and sticking them on, it will be worth it for the footage I'm going to capture. My issue is that I don't want to get in trouble from the rental place when they ask what the heck this super-adhesive 3M sticker is doing on their vehicle. See my dilemma now? :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.