GoPro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people...
My situation...purchased a gopro4 from the for sale section at POTN forums. Long story short, the go pro is not functional and recourse is not an option. So....trying to make the most economical solution and still be ahead of the ballgame. GoPro site has a "rebate" of sorts where you can trade in ANY GoPro camera and get a "rebate" of $100 for a GoPro 8. They also offer a rebate of $50 on the 7. I can turn in my defective GoPro 4, keep all the peripherals that went along with it. Batteries, mounts, etc.

I should note...I have a GoPro 3+ that is in working order. My ultimate goal is to somehow get something out of the 4 and cut my losses. Just wondering what I should do as far as making the right choice. I know there are other options available but this one from GoPro allows me to get rid of the non-working camera and have a very good replacement. Curious...will any of the batteries from the 3+ or 4 work in a newer 7 or 8? Does anyone know of another way to get rid of the bad camera and apply it to a new purchase?

The ability of the 7 or 8 to have IS is a BIG option that I would utilize....any and all advise is appreciated for I am very "GREEN" when knowledge of these carmeras is concerned. Will use it for fishing trips and the grandkids will use it for their activities. Have several batteries with the 2 cameras that I have now...hoping I can utilize them with my next purchase.

thanks to all who provide feedback...

Wish you all a safe and happy New Years!!!!

john

·
Registered
396 Posts
no, the batteries will not fit. batteries are interchangeable only between hero 5 , 6 , 7 and 8 , (8 is even using new kind of batteries , same format but higher voltage).
Even if you would have the 4 in working order , it wouldnt get you more than 100 back imho, as the market is oversaturated and you can get used 5 or 7 which are much better.
So i think gopros 100$ for old camera when buying a new one is the best option here

Reactions: drifter106

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks...just for my info...will a 7 or 8 fit into the 3+ or 4 housing units? I have 2 (NON-submergable) cases and 1 case for underwater. Would be a distinct advantage if all I had to get was a camera and batteries and be able to use the cases that I have.

Did some research and the housings will not fit the 8....anybody know why I am getting a "fuzzy" picture? Is there anything that can be done on my end to fix the problem?

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
Welcome aboard John @drifter106 :

Bought a used Hero 4 Black or Silver. As long as you paid a few Dollars. and can fix it without funds, or swapping out other parts of the same or simular camera, or resell to make a profit. Otherwise. its going to cost you to buy the Hero 8 Either wway.

Hero 8 sold for $349 bundle pkg best price on the market, better then the trade up.

GoPro 25% discount given to select people is liek thesame as a Trade up both DO NOT GET a free SDXC card.
Only way for a free sdxc card worth $11.00 to 22 depend on the Offer is paying Retail no combined promotions.

So yeah You spent $$ for a hero 4, that will fit the Hero 3+ and Hero 3, the frame, and cases do not fit the newer version cameras. GoPro is Smart they allowedonly the Battery and Mounts to work wit hte Waterproof hero 5, 6, 7 noted above. the camera is larger, even the Lens protector no longer wil fit on the Hero 8.

Is it worth the Investment only if you know what you're getting.

·
Registered
262 Posts
this is a picture from the 4....something appears to be wrong..... View attachment 6415
Yes, it appears the sensor etc. are working, but your lens is either out of focus or damaged. I'd suggest you do a bit of research on how to refocus the lens (this was a problem with the 3 line at one point). Since the poster above showed you that simply buying on sale a 7 or 8 might be just as good or better than the trade in deal, you have less to lose by simply trying to fix this camera yourself anyway. What I would not do is invest money in fixing it, however.
Here's the one consideration beyond that: since you like the new features on the 7/8 line, why not just go for it anyway? I am still using my 3+ to good effect, but all that EIS makes the new ones worth considering. The 5 to 8 lines will fit all your mounts, but likely NOT any of the housings/casings, and certainly not your batteries. So you haven't lost all your investment in mounting and other such accessories when you go up to the 7/8 level.

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
to adjust focus is getting to the cameras actual settings for wifi and the app once you achieve that the rest is esy peasy by marking and adjusting. many vids out there. Oh yes the hero 7 and Hero 8 are the ones to have right now the Hero 8 has a well known issue that gopro is not answering to, or othres finding till they see it themselves. is it worth that issue and more. who knows not all have the same Pet rock (lol)

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
how you search to find the right vid to get you what you want

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to adjust focus is getting to the cameras actual settings for wifi and the app once you achieve that the rest is esy peasy by marking and adjusting. many vids out there. Oh yes the hero 7 and Hero 8 are the ones to have right now the Hero 8 has a well known issue that gopro is not answering to, or othres finding till they see it themselves. is it worth that issue and more. who knows not all have the same Pet rock (lol)
Is that issue the mounting apparatus...the part that swings up like the wheels on a jet? I saw a video where, when extended and mounted, they have a serious amount of play...

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
you mean the Hero 8 legs, they work as advertised (smiles).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
could you explain the known issues? If it is significant I might get the 7 instead. Would prefer the 8 (IS is extremely good) in the videos I have seen when there is a comparison of the 2. Only $20 difference between the 7 and 8...$279 vs $299 if I trade in the 4. If I can get $100 out of the 4 and get the 8 it will work out to be a good deal.

The reason I say that...I spent $125 for the 4 (in 2018, I know, I didn't use it till the other day). Long story....I figure with all the additions I got with BOTH the 3+ AND the 4 I can come out ok. Just need to know the issues that the black 8 has...don't want to make any more mistakes.

Thanks to everyone for your input in this matter. Your input and with some of my research I hope to make a fruitful decision.

·
Registered
396 Posts
depends on what is your intended use for the camera. I own the 7 and the IS is plenty good for almost any use (as long as there is sufficient lighting), in my case biking , kayaking and hiking.
The 8 has better IS but there are things that definitely put me off from wanting one, like the popup legs , battery doors etc.
If you do extreme sports with heavy shaking then 8 might be worth considering, otherwise 7 is good enough. Dont go for 6 or 5, those are not worth it in comparison to 7 or 8.

Also depends widely on which batch is camera from. There are people here constatnly complaining about bugs and overheating and instability, but i havent experienced any of that in my 1year of ownership.

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
The Hero 8 is $399.99. gopro's trade up is 100.00 retail + tax - 100 to total $300 Plus (whatever tax is at in the Region you reside)

The Hero 7 is $329.00 + free 32 gb card according to gopro'ssite

The Hero 8 Bundle is $449.99 + tax -$50.00

The Hero 7 Black Bundle pkg at Costco is $319.99 (members only) as well Amazon a few pkg prices a few dollars More

The Hero 7 black only $279.99. (members Only) as well Amazon a few Dollars more.

Now how gopro.com works. and how People simply overlook and want things their way, hoping you understand that and are not incorrectly thinking you are going t oget a trade discount and a free sd card (Wink). Just asking and saying (smiles)

Now explain the issues. All GoPros have User issues. Which is the best camera to get according to all users that pushed these issues?

Hero 8 using the wrong sdxc card causes issues.
Hero 8 nitelapse photo and video hot pixals or dead pixals

The list can go on and on but that is why there is another topic for that called lets note the hero 7, Hero 8 issues. For this Site not many complain not many come here Lol. so that is where the issues lie.

Do I get a hero 8 , Hero 7 or whatever. I got both and what things bother you may not bother me.

Hero 8

1. Lens Protector no longer removable, twice the thickness a 4 inch DJI Osmo action drop my lens cover cracked, Support never returned the Email its 5 days later. $20.00 outof pocket expense.

Just to name one, right now I'll leave it at that, just a shame how a few days goes bye and thesales go off. GoPro should have kept he deal going at least a week in then a day after a holiday off. but that is all gopro and others .

You spent $125.00 on a non-functional camera that is a Loss. ( my thoughts out loud)

the Hero 8 trade up $399.00 + Tax 440.00 -100.00 off $340.00 free shipping. a loss of $25.00 increased the cameras price to $365.00 a $35.00 savings without tax in a way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The Hero 8 is $399.99. gopro's trade up is 100.00 retail + tax - 100 to total $300 Plus (whatever tax is at in the Region you reside)

The Hero 7 is $329.00 + free 32 gb card according to gopro'ssite

The Hero 8 Bundle is $449.99 + tax -$50.00

The Hero 7 Black Bundle pkg at Costco is $319.99 (members only) as well Amazon a few pkg prices a few dollars More

The Hero 7 black only $279.99. (members Only) as well Amazon a few Dollars more.

Now how gopro.com works. and how People simply overlook and want things their way, hoping you understand that and are not incorrectly thinking you are going t oget a trade discount and a free sd card (Wink). Just asking and saying (smiles)

Now explain the issues. All GoPros have User issues. Which is the best camera to get according to all users that pushed these issues?

Hero 8 using the wrong sdxc card causes issues.
Hero 8 nitelapse photo and video hot pixals or dead pixals

The list can go on and on but that is why there is another topic for that called lets note the hero 7, Hero 8 issues. For this Site not many complain not many come here Lol. so that is where the issues lie.

Do I get a hero 8 , Hero 7 or whatever. I got both and what things bother you may not bother me.

Hero 8

1. Lens Protector no longer removable, twice the thickness a 4 inch DJI Osmo action drop my lens cover cracked, Support never returned the Email its 5 days later. $20.00 outof pocket expense.

Just to name one, right now I'll leave it at that, just a shame how a few days goes bye and thesales go off. GoPro should have kept he deal going at least a week in then a day after a holiday off. but that is all gopro and others .

You spent $125.00 on a non-functional camera that is a Loss. ( my thoughts out loud)

the Hero 8 trade up $399.00 + Tax 440.00 -100.00 off $340.00 free shipping. a loss of $25.00 increased the cameras price to $365.00 a $35.00 savings without tax in a way.

Not really expecting to get a SD card, would be nice but not a deal breaker. Have a 5dMarkIII and 7dMarkII..Have numerous cards that will work. But will probably option to get a 128 gb card as all of mine are 32gb. If I go the route of the trade in I will need to get protective housing (GoPro), Lens protector (GoPro) and 3 batteries and charger.
From reviewing sites on the Hero 8, it appears that the GoPro batteries last longer....not for sure about the lens protector (not for sure if a 3rd party solution is the best way to go). Same thing about the housing....see a lot of 3rd party housing's but I want to be sure and get something that is adequate. Probably should spend a little more and get peripherals that work well.

When you purchase a new GoPro, you can sign up for a program that gives you 50% off GoPro peripherals AND the first month is free. It states you can cancel anytime.
The only thorn in my side is that they want to charge $35 state tax.... on $300....thats over 11%....our tax in Kansas is 91/2...just another way to nickel and dime you to death.

In the grand scheme of things...yes I paid $125 for the 4, housing unit, tripod, magnetic clip, batteries, suction cup mount, bike mounts, a chesty, head strap + quick clip,wrist mounts and numerous other peripherals that I would think would be worth at least $25...so it really becomes a wash if I can trade up. Since all GoPro's have a universal mount I will be able to utilize what I have.

Getting rid of the 4 and paying $300 + tax works out ok. I have lens to my camera's that have IS and for a person of my age the IS solution that I have seen with the 8 is something that I look forward to having.

I do thank everyone for responding to my situation and offering advise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts