Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shooting surfers in the water and need slow motion clips
Last time a was shooting 720p, 170º Wide, 60fps
My issue is I am to far away and need to zoom, or change the FOV to 127º Medium or even 90º Narrow.

I am very disappointed only to be able to shoot 170º Wide @60fps while the website says different.
Read there was some kind of misunderstanding between the web developers etc.
What you could do at least is CORRECT THE MISTAKE on your website.

The other complain I have is that when I change FOV in the 1080p modes, the quality gets worse.
I get lotsa noise, making the footage useless. Especially problematic for any compressor codec!!!
To me this is just digital zoom....

The FAQ page states:
<blockquote>Does HD HERO2 have a zoom function?
The HD HERO2 does not have a zoom function. However, by changing the field of view in 1080p (going from 170º Wide to 127º Medium or 90º Narrow) you shorten the focal distance, effectively “zooming in” the camera. This is also the case when choosing the 8MP photo mode or the Medium FOV 5MP photo mode. Think of this as having 3 fixed lenses in one (Wide, Medium, Narrow). This is not similar to a digital zoom, which reduces image quality. There is no loss in image quality when switching between Wide, Medium and Narrow field of views.</blockquote>

Here is a frame from a video shot at 90º Narrow.
http://goo.gl/BPJtl
As you can see, backlit on a sunny day.
Not what I would call HD quality.....

For comparison, here is a frame at 170º Wide
http://goo.gl/wvHgr

I also just uploaded the FOV 90 example on YouTube,
switch to 1080p, fullscreen and see how the noise results in very bad compression (sand, sky,..)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 100% agree 1080 30 narrow

I'm 100% agree 1080 30 narrow really sucks!!!!! it is the worst footage I have ever taken, i had to trash several minutes of aerial flight just because I did it in narrow FOV insted of wide :( it is sad that the official site does not explain correctly but IT IS SEEM THAT THE GOPRO HERO 2 ADD A LOT OF NOISE TO THE FOOTAGE IN ORDER TO MAKE 1080 FROM TRIMMED NARROW FOV!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.