GoPro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a step-by-step guide to building it, but just discussing some things about its use and such. This was a simple prototype to make up from mostly PVC parts. It will work well as a spinner mount or a panning mount.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spinner helmet cam 1st test on the road

http://vimeo.com/34942711
http://vimeo.com/34942711

If this loads, it is a 1st test of the spinner helmet mod I had made. Believe it or not, I was not trying to do much more than to shoot some video of learning how to control the spin and movement of the device. There is a learning curve to becoming familiar and comfortable with such a device on your head. If you remember the exaggerated movements of the boat in the old Steam Boad Willie movie of Mickey Mouse cartoons, then that is something similar in this clip. I was just learning when to tilt my head and when to lean it back to make the camera either slow down in panning or spin about my head. The camera was set up on the tripod to pan in this clip, so it was not shooting video of my face. It can be easily flipped on the aluminum rod to do so though. It may look funny and even make you a bit nauseous to watch this clip, but it serves a purpose. The sidecar rig was actually driven slowly, but the added faster music tune adds to the illusion that it was moving faster than it was. As I pass by the UPS truck, it almost looks as if I barely missed it and tha the wheel is off the ground on the sidecar. Believe me, that is illusion too, so this device may make some interesting video effects during filming. I used my HERO 960 and had the one button set on it for filming. The weather was dreary and overcast from recent rain in the area. No real problem with wind.

If you make one of these DIY spinner helmets, just be sure to know your surroundings when you use it and be safe. It is one thing to use it on a circle track or out in a field, pasture or trail, but it is something else when you are actually in traffic with cagers. They aren't used to seeing such and may get diverted with their attention. It takes some practice, but it is really easy enough to learn how to manage the swing speed, looping, angle of view for camera and other necessary moves from the tilt of your head. It is not overly heavy, but is heavier than just the helmet on your head. I did not experiment with moving the aluminum bar that holds the camera or the balance weights.

All in all it was a fun test and some interesting results. I can't wait to get out and do some more testing, but also to film myself on my ride. You learn how to operate this thing by practice, practice, practice. It was a fun project to make and should be interesting to use it at times.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spinner helmet mount

Here is some video of the first time I actually got out and rode with my spinner helmet and had the camera turned towards my face. It became easier to control the swoop of the camera on its aluminum bar, but I did find that even with the Micover, anytime the camera was pointed behind me, it picked up wind blast pretty notable. No problem, as I can change out the back door or simply add an inside barrier to reduce the wind noise. Other than that, no real issues and this is a fun camera mount to play about with. You still need ot know your surroundings and be safe in using it, but it can be fun. It is not all that difficult to learn to operate and not all that heavy on your head.

http://vimeo.com/35039901

Here was the latest video with spinner helmet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts