GoPro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, i have decided to fork out some cash and turn my GoPro 7 Black into a more professional setup for my next trip to Asia, and i will be buying the following items (see links below)

1x ULANZI 5200mAh Power Bank Selfie handle with the camera case

1x Moman Aluminium Mini Tripod Stand for power bank handle

1x set of screen/lens protectors

1x ULANZI VL49 2000mAh Video Light

1x GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter (has a 3 Pole TRS female jack)

1x EDUTIGE ETM-001 OmniDirectional Microphone (3Pole TRS) which i need to buy from their Ebay page

Here is the Deal regarding the Microphone, the special (and very expensive) GoPro Mic Adapter that fits inside the Ulanzi camera cage has a 3 Pole TRS female socket, so i need to buy the EDUTIGE ETM-001 Omnidirectional 3 pole TRS Mic, but Amazon Australia do not sell them, so i have to buy the 3 Pole TRS Mic from the Edutige Ebay store for $82AU.

Here in Australia we mostly use 4 Pole TRRS Audio stuff, so it is almost impossible to buy 3 Pole TRS stuff, and i don't like using special Adapters to convert stuff from 4 pole to 3 Pole.

Now for my New RIG setup, i will be making a Twin Handle Grip Bar to attach to the bottom of the Power Bank handle for more important shoots where i need more control and balance of the camera, and require good lighting for mounting 1 or 2 LED lights.

The Video light will mount on top of the Ulanzi Camera Cage (on the hot shoe) when not using the Hand Rig

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that, i found the Saramonic XR-XM 01 Mic on Amazon Australia website for $39.95AU so i might just buy that instead, and based on that Mic being able to turn at right right angles to the camera and facing outwards, or pointing to the side, it seems like Omnidirectional Mics can point in any direction as it takes in sound from all directions.

I will research that Mic first before placing my order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok after researching just 1 video, i am definitely buying the EDUTIGE EIM-001 (or ETM-001 if i can get one from Amazon Aust) as it clearly is superior to the Saramonic XR-XM 01 Mic.

This video he compares 3 mics, but he claims the Edutige Mic is too loud compared to the other 2 Mics, which i think he is totally wrong about, and as far as i can tell, the Edutige Mic sounded heaps better and clearer.

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
I watched many vids and its all up to you, not me. the Saramonic in the wrong hands one will break it. due to the angle. I am contented but again all you, the funny part is its not a Rode video Micro boom mic they will pick up sound do a mighty fine job As long as you are the one and happy. do report back and share some fun with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i just watched many other Mic videos and i think the EDUTIGE EIM-001 is the best i have seen so far, i just didn't get why the guy in my previous videos claimed the Edutige EIM-001 was hands down better, but in the next video he did a flip on that by then suggesting that the Edutige Mic was too loud, when i thought it was superior to the other 2 mics, so there you go.

On another note, i did a video recording test tonight using the stock 1220mAh internal battery, recording at 2.7k/60p HEVC until the battery went flat, i got 80 minutes of continuous video, which isn't too bad, however the video was broken up into 6x 12 minute clips and 1x 8 minute clip, and i am curious as to why it is doing this, i used the camera last year for 3 months in the Philippines and i recorded many videos over 12 minutes and they were not broken up like that, although i was recording in 1080/60p AVC to get more video onto my 256gb (95Mbps) SDXC cards.

Has anyone here had this happen, and is it normal, because i don't want this to happen on my next trip, shooting at 2.7k/60p HEVC.

Based on the stock battery recording time, the new 5200mAh Battery Grip Power Bank should get me at least 6 hours of recording time, with a 2 hour recharge time.

Does anyone know if i need to leave the stock battery in the camera when recording using the Power Bank grip, or do i need to remove it.

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
Chaptering is quite the Norm been that way with gopro since the Hero 4 and fat-32 systems.

Mics many mics out there, I also have a Sony ECM-D720P clone, and a Olympus D51S each mic will vary for the needs I even have Home made condensor mics that do a great job.

5K is 5 hrs record or a few recharges. testing will answer that for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Chaptering is quite the Norm been that way with gopro since the Hero 4 and fat-32 systems.
But why is it doing it now but shooting continuous at 1080/60p AVC it didn't chapter or cut the video in short 12 minute pieces.

I will be doing a lot of testing again today, i will try a continuous recording 4k/60p HEVC, i will try 2.7k/60p AVC and i will try 1080/60p AVC (i don't think 1080p records in HEVC)

My previous test was 2.7k/60p HEVC so let's see how these others go.

Also the stock 1220mAh battery takes a long time to fully charge from flat, they claim that the 5200mAh Battery Pack hand grip will fully charge in 2 hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I placed my order today with Amazon Australia for the stuff i need for my new GoPro Rig, cost me AU $266.09, Plus i ordered the Edutige Mic from the Edutige Ebay page in USA, which cost me another AU$80.00 as well.

UPDATE: I just got notified that the Ulanzi selfie handle power bank and the 49 LED light are being shipped from a different store than Amazon, and delivery will not be until late July to early August, so i cancelled my whole order with Amazon, i had issues with these people once before but put it down to bad luck, however i actually believe that Amazon Australia are shipping their goods from USA and do not hold stock here in Australia.

I will try to get what i need elsewhere.

As far as the Mic goes
, i rang a local Electronics store this morning to ask their opinion about how i should set the Mic up on the GoPro, and they advised me to buy the EDUTIGE ETM-001 3 pole TRS Mic and plug that directly into the special GoPro Microphone Adapter, rather than buying the EIM-001 4 pole Mic and having to use a 3 Pole to 4 Pole adapter as the direct connection is the preferred option, and i agree with them.

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
1. A GoPro battery will take 3 hours to charge. They have a few ways they charge. USB type C harger. laptop charging, wall charging and external chargers.

Wall chargers are 1.0-3 plus Amps.
laptop ports can be 3 various rating
external chargers can be fast and standard.

the 1st hour is a fast charge 80% cap, the the remaining can be 1-2 hr the older gopros was about 2 hour charges, hero 7, hero 8 now 3 hours.

laptop can take up to 4-5 hours, fast chargers an hour or so.

For the gopro battery that is the charge time its not a 5200mah battery that gets a different charge rate and also a different battery a 18650.

2. Ulanzi is not Amazon prime they are 3rd party, the price on Amazon may be a few dollars less then the Official Ulanzi store. There was a time frame noted on Amazon. and the order would not come from North America, as that is not where Ulanzi is at. I ordered from Amazon the Ulanzi G8-7 Door, the order was promised in two weeks time I recieved it about 1 plus months time with poor updates from Amazon, and it was still in shipment when I recieved it at my other addresses I had.

3 the shortest path of resistance. anything between can be a issue why you want o have the Mic as short as possible to the product then have it wiggle. My Promic adapter with the Rode plug is TIGHT, wit hte other mic LOOSE, I had the Mic slip out once or twice but causes no issues, and that is due to these 3rd party companies thinking taking a cheaper pin thinner pin will save $$$$$ making it in a long run. rode did not skip on the material the other company did.

4 Chaptering has been around quite some time. bitrates, resolution and file size can be 2gb, 4gb. Hero 4 session, Hero silvers were about 2gb file sizes and time, the Hero blacks 4gb file sizes and time. you rather lose one file then have chapters, it is easier to store one file then ten and figure out their Counting system gp_0001, gp_0200001, gp 0300001, I just love their file system, wait till you change codecs and resolution and fov then it can change to GX, gopro is a world of their own.

I can not wait for the troubles to pop in . Hope I have answered the questions and I am sure others may not pop in as its a forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, it seems like you and I are the lone wolves in here.

Ok, as for my order thru Amazon Australia, well they are basically just a front for many other stores, hence why my order was split into 3 orders with different totals and arrival times, which to me is not ideal, however 7 of the 9 items did say mid to late June delivery, but i doubt that, and the light and selfie power bank were late July, but have told me they can be done by late mid to june, which i doubt as well.

I can't find that same Ulanzi selfie power bank handle thing anywhere else, Ulanzi don't even list it in their website, it was there several days ago on sale, but now it has gone, the same for the light.

I am going to spend tomorrow looking for these 9 items elsewhere, if i can't i will just re-order them from Amazon and wait it out for delivery.

Now to the Video Chaptering, this is the results from my testing, and can i say that my GoPro got very very very HOT recording continuous in 4k/60p HEVC for 1 hour, almost as hot at 2.7k/60p HEVC, after that it stays cooler the lower the recording mode is, 1080/60p AVC is good.

4k/60p HEVC Chapters every 9 minutes
2.7k/60p HEVC Chapters every 12 minutes
2.7k/60p AVC Chapters every 9 minutes
1080/60P HEVC Chapters every 17.5 minutes
1080/60P AVC Chapters every 22 minutes

I don't record in 4k/60p HEVC because there is no Linear mode, it only has the Wide mode which i hate because of the banding (fisheye look) on the outer sides of the video, it drives me up the wall, and basically distorts everything, it is not natural so i refuse to use it, i like my 16:9 Linear mode, and let's be real here, with this camera i don't really see much difference between 2.7k and 4k from this camera, and once the 2.7k/60p HEVC is edited and output to AVC they look amazing on my 65" 4k LED TV.

When we was in Asia last year for 3 months, i recorded in 1080/60p AVC, but i had only just bought the camera and i did not realize that the Wide mode recorded like fisheye, and i had no idea that there was a Linear mode, so all my videos from that trip were shot in Wide mode.

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
As you learn Chapters sounds about right. Older models are longer. as long as you edit and understand the time you shoot I remember that if I do a 15 minute clip I should see two vids for that one scene. Heat, the cam can get as high as 153 degrees. gopro, DJI even Yi. I averaged 125 degrees. i shot in 103 degree weather wit ha Hero 4 black and never a issue for me. But given times winter/ summer can cause the camera to fail to cools down?

4K linear Love it Some say 4K is not 4k . Just happy I can shoot 4Klinear and enjoy it, today I used super-view. I rather shoot closer up and why I like my Osmo better but still not perfect.....

for the powerbank just keep searching to you find one.

the powerbank got other names WASPcam Power Stubbie Pole Mount with Power Bank Battery 5200 mAh GOPRO Campark | eBay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for that Link to the power bank selfie handle, think i will email them to see if they will ship to Australia.

Found the exact same one from Thailand with a different brand name, yet this is identical to the Ulanzi one.

How come you mention that you shoot 4k Linear, is that on the Hero 7, because mine only shoots 4k/60p HEVC mode, and i can only select Wide mode, there is no Linear mode.

The only time i see a need for Wide mode is for when you are in a confined space and you can't move back far enough to fit what you need into the frame, but i have never really been in that position anyway, i always to to plan my shots in a way that allows me to fill the frame.

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
Sorry ( I forgot) I have both the hero 8 and Hero 7 I may have confused the cams. why I have the Hero 8 with Linear. may be the next camera for you (wink) Xiaomi is Yi technology they are a good company,

another powerbank

·
Administrator
9,737 Posts
@glenpinn gopro has heard your request they are going to increase File chaptering to 12gb triple the size so all that thought is history Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts