GoPro Forums banner

My feelings about the H9

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dclnets1988 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I realized i keep crying about the camera in various threads, so i can just as well make my own thread.

I took the H7 and H9 on our afternoon walk and recorded some clips and took some pictures.
Every setting was set identically, or close enough. No post processing, exported at 50mb bitrate after sewing clips together

To my surprise , in certain lighting conditions (for example among trees) it was very hard to tell the difference between them.
Then i got out were sun was shining and there you can see what i keep talking about.
The difference in image quality is subtle, but its present. I would say H7 has up to 20% better image quality in my eyes.
Shadows are not underexposed, grass is crisp, overall its simply better.

I have uploaded short sample (will delete later) were you can hopefuly see what i talk about.

I have opened a case with gopro, they didnt like the brand of memory card i was using so i had to choose and order from their recommended list, should arrive tomorrow so i will retest again.
Also when i zoom in on photos or video screenshots taken at arms lenght, you can tell that faces are slightly out of focus. I will provide sample later.
I wonder how does it behave with max lens mod attached, as the size of the mod suggests that it causes a small change in focus plane.

See less See more
Reactions: Fish
#2 ·
I would imagine with the distortion of the lens, the quality of the image would be slightly poorer with the max lens mod attached.
I haven't done any side by side comparisons, but I've been quite happy with my H9 to be honest. I think its reached a point where the quality is so good, all they can do is add extra features etc instead, although the extra features require more processing power, so its a knock on effect.

#4 ·
i dont know about H8, i have never used it, but H7 wins in my eyes when it comes to quality.
Main reason why i jumped at H9 was the front screen, and it is indeed very helpful for those selfie moments. And having presets is also nice, altought i have never needed them before.
I was satisfied with the stabilization on H7, but i wonder how would H9 stabilize my kayaking videos with that horizon level.
I may get used to the slight quality loss, but they have to fix the audio bug definitely. I will give them a month or two

I have yet to decide which one to keep.

#5 ·
By the time this fix comes about, or the 1 inch sensor we all are hoping for, as long as We (I) got a gopro to shoot with, Happy, glad you are getting used to it

FISH

#6 ·
Thanks for the review. I bought the hero 9, mainly excited about the front view. I’m not pick about cameras as I’m just starting to blog more, I had a GoPro like 2 I think a hero 7 black and now this. I’ve never had a problem minus when I lost mine on vacation, not GoPro problem though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.