GoPro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to make some videos bombing around town in my 86 GT mounting the GoPro down on the front bumper. Any one with any tips, horror stories or experience please let me know.

For reference, this is my inspiration:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
off the top of my head i can think of 3 ways of doing it

1. stick a GoPro base onto the bumper

2. use a suction cup mount, no idea how secure these actually are

3. bolt-on mount. These are the same as the GoPro bases, but need bolting into place making them more secure but obviously not for you if you don't want to drill the bumper

·
Registered
10 Posts
A friend of mine has lost two trying to do the same thing.....I would make sure it it's very securely mounted....mine still makes me nervous and it's bolted to the roof rack on my Subaru...

·
Registered
434 Posts
the suction cup mounts work. Just make sure they are on properly.

Of course there is always a chance of it falling off so it's always a risk.

Make sure the surface is clean and smooth. It should be a flat surface.

I've mounted DSLRs to the outside of cars using suction type mounts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think that a bolted down base mount would be the best way to accomplish this task. I would never use a suction cup to mount it to the front of your car if you care at all about not breaking/running over your GoPro. The only other thing I would suggest is considering mounting it to another location on your car. Perhaps on the top of the car through the sunroof on a tripod, or on your dash board, maybe you could even secure it to your side mirror.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have used a suction cup mount many times on the outside of the car and only once has it come off and I think that was because I didn't clean the surface. I haven't had it on the outside for drives longer than about 15 Km distance but did get up to 100 Kmh and it stayed there. I worry about it coming off so I have a thin piece of strong string that I tie between the GoPro and the closest part of the car to theater it to the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a great GoPro magnetic mount that is super strong for the car hood... I've used it in the rain and going on the expressway at 70mph.. I made sure I had it secured with one of the tethers that I bought... works great !

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I bought a great GoPro magnetic mount that is super strong for the car hood... I've used it in the rain and going on the expressway at 70mph.. I made sure I had it secured with one of the tethers that I bought... works great !
any chance of a link please sir

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've used my dad's gopro outside the car on the race track at speeds up to 170km/hr for a 30min session and was fine. I haven't actually risked it with mine yet as I'm still learning to trust it. My parents travel corrugated Australian out back roads without issues too, and that's a great test of strength. I would be sure to tether it just in cars it does let go though.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Won't work on Aluminum hoods though.

But yes a magnetic mount would work.

You could probably get the mount to work with the fenders and doors since they are still likely steel.

Unless its an expensive aluminum sports car.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I bought it on ebay... works great... here's the link. I was a little skeptical but even with it raining out , it still worked perfectly... Of course just in case I attached one of the tethers- as just in case it would fail, the tether would stop it from actually falling on the ground... a good though it never failed anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330922169353?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
many thanks, looks like he won't post to the UK tho. & the ones available here look no where near as secure or robust as that one

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can contact the seller and see if he will ship to you. Shouldn't be too much extra..

Works great so I hope you can work it out.

Barry

·
Registered
58 Posts
The magnet idea is great, though the next concern would be scratching the **** out of your paint. There's a much more concentrated surface area for a magnet rather than the suction cup so risk of movement (twist and wiggle) wil wreck your paint if any dirt is under it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
for me it didn't move at all, and I'd think whether the magnet or the suction cup, you need to make sure the surface area you're putting it on is clean anyway..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts