GoPro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Triumph Street Triple RS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I can mount my Gopro (hero 5 black) on the chin of my helmet. So far so good. But voice commands will not work through the helmet with the wind noise. However I can connect my camera to my Android phone through either wireless or blue tooth. Here is the question can I control the Gopro using a lapel mike to my Android phone to control my camera? The lapel mike would in fact be in my helmet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm pretty sure voice commands only work with the GoPro itself and not the GoPro app. ie. If your camera is mounted somewhere, you can't tell your app to start recording with your voice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Honestly, your best bet would just to use your phone or the physical remote that you can buy for the GoPro unless your camera can hear you through the helmet Richard sounds like it won't.

·
Registered
Triumph Street Triple RS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, your best bet would just to use your phone or the physical remote that you can buy for the GoPro unless your camera can hear you through the helmet Richard sounds like it won't.

Thanks, I will look at the Gopro remote

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
@Zurrk Before you invest. check out the App called Myk For gopro. it will do what you asked for for a external mic., remember wireless connection consumes power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the solution and many others from earlier models use it too. My mic is in my full-face helmet connected to my Hero 8 mic input. I use the multimedia case. Earlier models use a different adapter to bring audio. I use a mic splitter that connects 2 mics. One goes to my helmet mic area and the other to my Senna speaker inside to record audio from Sena and from me. My commands work. There is enough audio from the bike coming into the helmet too with very little wind noise. Mics can be purchased for about 20 USD or less and splitter for about 5 USD if using 2 mics. The interface Media Mod for Hero 8 or the audio interface for other models. Search threads with key words used here. See my setup too for mounting and other ideas.

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
Promic 3.5mm adapter $49-59 usc
Media Module 80-90 usc Hero 8 only

Only two workable accessories that work with the Hero 5 and up. whatever else you add to the External 3.5mm port will work.

MYK is an App will record sound via tha app as wel lthe camera and you can then chose what you want.

Reactions: Splinter

·
Registered
6 Posts
This sounds like an excellent solution, using MYK. The only thing is that the reviews for MYK on Google Play are not very good, but perhaps they've fixed most of the issues by now?
Anyway, I'm buying a lapel mic tomorrow for my Galaxy Note 8, so I'll give the setup a test run and see how it goes with the Hero 5 Black.
It's got to be better than than the cumbersome and expensive GoPro mic adaptor.
Edit:
First I'll try the AKG headphone mic that came with the phone which may save me having to buy a mic.
Edit 2
I found my AKG earphones which have a mic as well, so I taped it to my communicator helmet mic and did a test run after some initial communication errors and when I got home I managed to marry up the audio and video with everything sounding great, with my voice being clear as a bell.
But Myk has restrictions on the free version of the app whereby the video is downscaled drastically, so I took the plunge and paid for a one month sub which clears all the restrictions.
I'll report back on my findings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts