GoPro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to access my videos with my PC.

• (NOT fixed) With almost any other camera, all I've needed to do was plug in with a cable. That didn't work (it showed no files even though the GoPro itself said it was connected to the computer).
  • (Fixed) Alternatively, I've been able to connect via memory card. I did, and the files apparently can't be read without some special software. My computer's pretty new and everything's up-to-date, so I don't understand what the issue is. I could also view a video recorded a couple months ago, but none from today.
  • (Fixed) I tried signing in on the app, and not even that worked. My wife and I both remembered the password and had it written down (it originally didn't have a number, but the app was now saying that a number was required, so we couldn't sign in). Finally, I was able to reset the password.
  • (Kinda fixed) Then there was a number of connection issues. The devices were literally a couple inches from each other. My phone hasn't had any problems connecting to any other devices in the past.
  • (Fixed) FINALLY, I tried downloading the videos onto my phone. They're on there somewhere because they're taking up the space (about 10gb). But I've looked everywhere and even ran a search for the files and they're nowhere to be found.
I've been wrestling with this issue for about two hours now and I'm about to start crying and ripping my hair out. For years I wanted a GoPro and now that I have one I wish I never bought it (it was almost $500!).

Seriously, transferring videos to a computer should be a super fast, simple process. I don't know how this managed to get SO screwed up. Is anyone else having these issues???

(And everything IS updated.)

Also, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm totally new here and just desperate for some help. Now I can't even use my phone because there's no space on it after transferring the videos.

I wanna thank people for answering and helping out. I'm still having trouble connecting through a cable, which is ideally the easiest method. Also, I learned that SonyVegas Pro is a reliable method of converting the HEVC format to a readable mp4. There are probably free converter programs, too, though I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better since I've managed to transfer the files. Thanks again for coming to answer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry don't really realize your problem - take the SD card from the GoPro and insert it, maybe via adapter, into the computer and check your clips.

Ciao Rob
Thanks for the reply. I had tried that before and was having problems, but now it seems to be working.

I did finally find another method, though it's a little complicated. I had to download the videos onto the app and then transfer them onto my phone. From my phone, I was then able to transfer them onto my computer.

Hopefully moving forward I'll be able to either just use the adapter like you advised or connect with a cable.

Also, it's a pain in the butt that they format the files in hevc (i.e., h. 265). I realize now that my videos from a few months ago were h. 264 and my media players can read them. Fortunately, I edit videos through SonyVegas and I can convert them pretty easily through the software.

Anyway, thanks again, Rob!

- Storm

·
Registered
523 Posts
Please attach screenshots of what your pc sees when SD card is inserted via adapter.
-In case you recorded in 4k/ 5k it might be you are missing HEVC codec, its always best to have a third party codec pack installed and up-to-date. google video codec pack.
media players like MPC might even have inbuilt support for newest codecs.
-their newest app is buggy as ****, sometimes you have to clear BT connection from phone and reconnect.
-videos downloaded via phone app are stored within app directly, you have to "double export" them once downloaded. go into the app, find the video and look around for a button to "save to phone" . then you will see them in phone album like any other video/photo. dont forget to remove them in app, as they will remain there consuming storage

Reactions: TohoV

·
Administrator
9,686 Posts
what camera. what firmware. and best of all go to wireless connection, tells us what you are on like MTB or?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please attach screenshots of what your pc sees when SD card is inserted via adapter.
-In case you recorded in 4k/ 5k it might be you are missing HEVC codec, its always best to have a third party codec pack installed and up-to-date. google video codec pack.
media players like MPC might even have inbuilt support for newest codecs.
-their newest app is buggy as ****, sometimes you have to clear BT connection from phone and reconnect.
-videos downloaded via phone app are stored within app directly, you have to "double export" them once downloaded. go into the app, find the video and look around for a button to "save to phone" . then you will see them in phone album like any other video/photo. dont forget to remove them in app, as they will remain there consuming storage
Great info and really helpful. Hopefully they'll be able to improve the connectivity of their app.

I was able to get my card adapter to work. My computer is still having trouble recognizing the GoPro, though, even though my GoPro is recognizing that it's plugged in. All of my drivers should be up-to-date, so I'm not sure why I'm having the issue. I might try submitting a picture or trying in another computer tomorrow (it's super late here now, haha).

I was able to figure out the method of downloading the files to my phone from the app (I didn't realize that they were being downloaded onto the app, but not my phone, so thanks for the heads up!)

Take care!
- Storm

·
Registered
523 Posts
i remember having issue with connecting gopro 5 directly to my pc , but the issue was either in cable or usb port, i dont remember now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts