GoPro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have planned a 5-week, 6500 mile motorcycle trip this summer and I will be shooting as much of it as I can with my Hero2. As space is limited on the motorcycle, I don't want to bring a laptop. Are there any mass storage options other than buying multiple 32G SD cards? Can the contents of a SD card be transferred to an external hard drive without a computer? Can the Hero2 be connected to a smart phone with a wifi connection in some way that would allow content to be uploaded to the cloud? Any suggestions appreciated! Peace.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try one of these "portable photo backup" devices.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Portable%20Photo%20Storage[/ame]

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to have a portable battery powered hard drive for photo backup in the field. I'd MUCH rather have a pocket full of SD cards! Go to an Office Supply store and get a fine line paint pen. Number all of your cards so you can keep track of used vs empty.

·
Administrator
9,366 Posts
the product does not support Library feature where you have a hd and camera only, like some cam's, wished it did, why the camera is so compact.

if no other option is available, maybe a netbook and HD drive still compact, if asked?

10 32gb cards may add up to a used Netbook, and Hd already in hand. I hate to lose a sdhc card with my memory on it. And when you are at a wifi spot, upload, go to sleep its all completed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used to have a portable battery powered hard drive for photo backup in the field. I'd MUCH rather have a pocket full of SD cards! Go to an Office Supply store and get a fine line paint pen. Number all of your cards so you can keep track of used vs empty.
agreed. it's easier to carry the SD cards in all honesty. And those backup HDs aren't cheap either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can the Hero2 be connected to a smart phone with a wifi connection in some way that would allow content to be uploaded to the cloud? Any suggestions appreciated! Peace.
same problam, diffrent quastion,
can i connect it to my nexus 4 smart phone, and upload the files there?
the main reason isnt lack of storage , it's the reason i wanna see what i pictured right away via my smart phone..
THANKS

·
Registered
192 Posts
taking a portable hard drive could be disastrous in the unfortunate event of coming off your motorbike, the shock of impact could destroy the integrity of the drive leading to irrecoverable data loss
as a biker I use a stack of memory cards as theyre more robust and easier to store in a rigid wallet
have a great journey and dont forget to share with us your video :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Buying multiple SD cards is pretty much the best it gets with the GoPro, especially if you're a person on the go that wants to carry as little things as possible. It sucks having to deal with so many SD cards but it is what works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just experimeted with a Scandisk Ultra 64 GB SD card in my Hero 2 using a battery pack for 4 hour of power and got 3 hours 48 minutes of recorded video. Far better then using a 32 GB SD card.

·
Registered
434 Posts
taking a portable hard drive could be disastrous in the unfortunate event of coming off your motorbike, the shock of impact could destroy the integrity of the drive leading to irrecoverable data loss
as a biker I use a stack of memory cards as theyre more robust and easier to store in a rigid wallet
have a great journey and dont forget to share with us your video :)
depends what portable hard drive

if you need sd card like durability for impact get a solid state portable hard drive

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would bring an external hard drive and then just use a complimentary computer at a library or hotel to transfer pictures from the camera to the hard drive. You could also bring a small netbook to do this as well. If you bring the netbook then you can upload them to the cloud or whatever other net-based image hosting service you choose.

Or bring a whole bunch of memory cards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts