GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an owner of a GoPro HD Hero camera since summer 2011.

I want to know one particular technical detail, which I could not find in the manual or on any pages on GoPro's web site.

I am interested to know some particular details on this camera's exposure metering methods/algorithms.

In spot metering, I suppose that the "spot" is in the very center of the image frame, isn't it? Does anyone know how much percentage of the entire image frame does this spot get?
More importantly, is it possible to change the position of the metering spot (for example to have the metering spot in lower right portion of the frame)?

In center weighted metering mode, how much percentage ("metering weight") does the center of the frame get, and how much "metering weight" do the edges of the frame get?

Ultimately, is there a method or a firmware which would enable the camera to use multi-zone metering (also called "evaluative", "esp", etc.)?

This topic is important to me as I often record in complex outdoor lightning conditions (in shady narrow canyons, in tunnels, under bridges, etc.). Knowing the exact camera behavior regarding to exposure metering is crucial in orienting the camera optimally in regards of achieving an acceptable exposure for the intended scene.

My problem is that my scenes are usually overly bright in the middle of the frame, but I want to properly expose all the "peripheral" portions of the frame (except the center - center is not important to my scenes). However I get the opposite results (center of the frame exposed OK, but everything around it is dark) because of camera's fixed exposure metering behavior.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.