GoPro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am considering getting a Hero 3. and I am hoping someone can tell me their experience with the following

1) What is the startup time, ie the time from power on to actually starting the recording.

2) Are there any overheating problem if we turn the camera on all the time, for about 9 hours with external power connected ?

3) Does the loop recording function works? How does it work? I have read many people saying that it does not work and will stop once the memory card is full.

Thanks for any input to the above.

cheers

·
Registered
150 Posts
1. Need you to answer some questions: Do you mean with the camera turned off, then push the record button and then start a recording? Or do you mean the camera is already on, you push record button and then start recording? Is the camera mounted, already focused and powered up? And are you using the iPhone app to control the camera? Describe this situation just a bit more. Thanks.

2. Just returned from a trip doing loop recording as a dash cam for nearly nine hours. HOWEVER, used the open frame and near a windshield that was cold. Camera was warm, but not hot. Used an external battery pack for power, not the 12 volt outlet in the car. Which should NOT make a difference.

3. Yes the camera will stop when the card is full, it has no choice. With a simple loop recording, yes the card will not get filled. However, if like me, I stopped the recording every so often you will create a group of loop recordings and if each is large enough the last one could fill the card. (I stopped recording using the iPhone application at rest areas and restaurants, but left the camera turned on as with an external power supply starting up takes a small bit of time.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Need you to answer some questions: Do you mean with the camera turned off, then push the record button and then start a recording? Or do you mean the camera is already on, you push record button and then start recording? Is the camera mounted, already focused and powered up? And are you using the iPhone app to control the camera? Describe this situation just a bit more. Thanks.
With two situations ( I may be wrong, because I do not know the operation of the camera yet!),

1) camera held in hand, walking casually, powered down. what is the delay time from turning power on for it to startup and ready be start recording.

2) camera mounted, in power standby mode, e.g. outside moving car, use iphone App to start recording, what is the delay time.

2. Just returned from a trip doing loop recording as a dash cam for nearly nine hours. HOWEVER, used the open frame and near a windshield that was cold. Camera was warm, but not hot. Used an external battery pack for power, not the 12 volt outlet in the car. Which should NOT make a difference.
Thanks.

3. Yes the camera will stop when the card is full, it has no choice. With a simple loop recording, yes the card will not get filled. However, if like me, I stopped the recording every so often you will create a group of loop recordings and if each is large enough the last one could fill the card. (I stopped recording using the iPhone application at rest areas and restaurants, but left the camera turned on as with an external power supply starting up takes a small bit of time.)
To me, loop recording should be just that, it loops around over over, creating a small video file, may be in 1 minute or selected intervals, deleting the oldest ones once the disk is full, and continues. So if any important event happens, by pushing a button or something, it would tag the file in progress and protect it from future deletion. Of course, if the disk is full of protected files, it stops, that is given. So when you say it stopped, were there full of files you wanted to save.

cheers

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looping tip from the manual:

Multiple chapter files are written to your memory card. This allows for small segments of content to be overwritten during loop recording. When viewing on a computer screen you will see separate files for each time segment. Use video editing software if you wish to combine files into a longer video.
My card filled up because I restarted a sequence each time I stopped at a rest area or restaurant. I have groups of chapters as described above. Because each group takes up space at some point the card fills with groups and a newly started group may have a chapter that fills the last of the free space. Without my starting new sequences, yes in theory the looping continues without filling the card. Unless set to maximum loop, which would fill the card, yet continue to loop. My method saves everything (almost) without having non-movement periods at rest stops. Unless I wanted to watch for door dings or someone stealing the camera.....but they would have the camera... :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your new scenarios.

1) Three seconds, give or take. Depends if you have the camera set for one-button mode. Add time to look at the LCD display or listen for the turn on beeps, rotate the camera towards subject, push record button. In one-button mode perhaps a little quicker???

2) Minimum of 3-4 seconds. There is a time lag from sending the command until the camera receives and responds to the command. Wi-Fi needs to be turned on of course, both on the phone and camera and the application on the phone running and connected to camera, with the camera in the right mode when command sent.

These minimum times are based on watching the LCD display, there maybe a time lag from then to actual recording. Plus do you use a lens cap? Is the camera naked, in the Frame or in a case? Adds more time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess I'm the sucker because I didn't read this thread before I bought my silver. I want a looping camera just like my car has but I figured I'd get one more suitable 4 cycling. My cars loops indefinitely and stops when it registers a impact so it doesn't overwrite the accident. It has a gps and its just as small as the gopro. And it was $200. Let's get with it Gopro looping means looping not "false advertising". Also I making an alunimum bike mount 4 the gopro because the cheap plastic mounts keep snapping mid trip. What do u do when ur on ur last mount and it breaks 30 miles away from home? Ill post the mout when I'm done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts