GoPro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm seeking advice regarding long term time lapse photo options for the hero 9.

In the settings it allows us to set up to a 60 minute time lapse between frames, however between shots the camera seems to go into "idle" mode rather than shut down. This means the camera runs quite hot and uses a lot of battery.

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn the camera off completely between shots? I tired using the general settings and "power off" option, but that seems to turn both the camera off and the time-lapse program (i.e. it does not start the camera back up to collect the next photo).

Is this functionality (turning camera completely off between shots) likely to be available in a labs/ hack like it was for the 8? or are we a long way off seeing that occur?

Thanks
Michael

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An update.

I hooked the Gopro up to a 20,000 mAh battery (more than 10 x the internal battery). This is now 50% depleted after less than 24 hours (on a 60 minute photo timelapse). Between shots the Gopro is running hot (even with the internal battery removed) so obviously it's drawing a lot of power for no reason in the "idle' mode.

Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanks
Michael.

· Administrator
7,626 Posts
It is an Action camera did you do a scheduled recording? I do not own the newest camera yet but can you do multiple schedule recordings otherwise timelapse uses power. and you have to adjust settings to conserve.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

My requirements are for 24 hour time-lapse, so scheduling is not really appropriate/necessary. Simply, the 60 minute interval should be fit for this purpose (an inbuilt function, advertised for this device).

With the internal battery, I could only achieve about 3 photos before the camera died. With a 20,000 MAH external powerbank attached, the unit achieved 34 photos (about 1 photo per 588 MAH).

The camera runs constantly hot (regardless of internal or external battery). The image quality is not great (not as good as my 3 year old $200 smart phone).

I will check all the settings and try again and report back.

Thanks
Michael

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I turned off all the battery using features (GPS, WIFI, LED, Display etc.) but no great improvement. It only took 5 photos on 60 minute interval setting before the battery died.

If anyone has a goPro 9 and could try same to compare results, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.