Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pann issue was on the Hero *and firmware fix was made

·
Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hot Pixels on image, one called it dead pixels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Snap, crackle and pop" sounds on Audio - every 3-5 recordings are unusable due to very noticable audio defects. I've read that other users have the same problem. Firmware? The camera is effectviely not usable, and external microphone was disabled in the post-launch firmware update.

·
Administrator
3,003 Posts
"Snap, crackle and pop" sounds on Audio - every 3-5 recordings are unusable due to very noticable audio defects. I've read that other users have the same problem. Firmware? The camera is effectviely not usable, and external microphone was disabled in the post-launch firmware update.
I'll look out for this - I've not noticed this with any of the videos Ive taken with the Hero9 - but saying that, as soon as I place a GoPro clip on my timeline I tend to strip the audio straight away!

·
Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Premature release gopro did. Mid oct they claim or someone found a page of info.

OA2 is going to hit the markets by Winters time. Heck Silence wins people over, stay tuned for Oct 20th. that is where both gopro and DJI do things Lol.

·
Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just received and updated firmware to discover neither the 3.5mm mic adapter or smart remote will work with this camera. Doh!
If you chose not to update from factory, would you have al the features???

For getting with gopro.

notice time and post as well the info put in under a minute I am in chat.

·
Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It would appear that features such as horizon levelling etc. Would not work. Firmware update is necessary.
thank you,

·
Administrator
3,003 Posts
GoPro have pre-release units that are passed to reviewers etc. These have a basic firmware intended for reviewers to judge the video quality etc. These reviewers are, in effect, testing the camera too, and providing feedback to GoPro.
The actual public firmware undergoes a final tweak, with some final new features, such as Horizon Levelling, being added for the full public release of the camera. As thousands of units have been produced, packaged, and sent to distributers and retail stores by this time for launch day availability, there is no time to update all existing units - hence the prompt to update out of the box.
The next batch of cameras will most likely have the update pre-installed and the camera will be ready to run out of the box.
This is common practice in such industries.

·
Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@TRfan you are very welcomed. Glad to help, I do not totally agree with what Ifti said about how production models are with pre-release firmware, the need to show Horizon level, and no one complained of issues in their Reviews (Lol).

·
Administrator
3,003 Posts
Reviewers that get pre-release models never complain about such issues - they get free GoPro stuff! They want to keep a good relationship! Hence they will only express the positives. Any bugs will just be fed back to GoPro for a fix in the 'public release' firmware update.

Its not just GoPro that do this. Its common with a range of different manufacturers.

They do not produce hundreds upon thousands of GoPros overnight - that takes several months.
Bear in mind the final firmware that we see could have been given to reviewers a month before it was officially released. It was just too late to apply to the first batch of GoPros, that could have been manufactured several months before....!

·
Registered
9 Posts
GoPro have pre-release units that are passed to reviewers etc. These have a basic firmware intended for reviewers to judge the video quality etc. These reviewers are, in effect, testing the camera too, and providing feedback to GoPro.
The actual public firmware undergoes a final tweak, with some final new features....
The next batch of cameras will most likely have the update pre-installed....[?]
This is common practice in such industries.
I can confirm this practice is common except it is not always quite as innocent in my experience. I happen to own a national trade-supply company. We import special product for commercial applications involving government and corporate contracts. Our primary suppliers come from several countries. We also function as designers and beta product testers and compliance testers. I became aware that one of our suppliers was sending out faulty equipment and relying on end-user feedback to address main issues as a form of priority. We had solved many of these issues and were disappointed to see the finished product still being sent with the fault conditions intact. It was a way of them generating income while they worked on fixing their product for those end users who screamed the loudest but the fixes rarely went into production. This practice created a serious conflict with our trade laws and we had to dump the supplier. I am not prepared to lump GoPro in with that level of questionable behavior just yet, but I have been reading up on the GoPro range including from user comments here, and assuming the earlier model numbers had fault conditions several years ago which apparently were addressed at the time, I have to question why do the later models like my just purchased H9 still have the same issues several years later? I see quite a number of people returning their purchases and after sales service is variable. I have just returned from a four day softroading adventure where we used the new H9 with running commentary to document the trip. It has produced some stunning video but the audio is not commercial quality and not good enough to publish and will have to be dubbed. I have been back to the store several times to discuss but by arrangement are hanging on for a few days because of many references here to an upgrade due about 20th this month which hopefully will address the significant issues.

·
Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Lets not the Issues of gopro Hero 9 continuing on:

·
Administrator
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
From what I hear: Purchaser buys a Hero 9, a few accessories, and returns it all, but Declined the subscription of 1 year? Hmm how true is that, because the camera was not to the persons liking I guess, not trying to sound negative but gopro, is an awesome camera and these are the gripes you don't hear

21 - 39 of 39 Posts