GoPro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a laptop for photo/video editing and storage.
Any tips, ideas or preferences you might share?

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is no science, you should always aim for the most CPU+RAM possible with your budget, GPU is optional (you need CPU and RAM when edit, GPU not so much (but it helps in some cases while editing).
If you are serious with editing than i recommend getting a proper PC , not a laptop. Easier to upgrade and save money in the long run.

And to give you a baseline, i have 3,1GHz i5 with 8GB of RAM and i can hardly edit a video, so go figure.

·
Administrator
9,730 Posts
Thank you, you want a laptop today for editing ?

I went with an Acer Aspire R5 series. I look for those stickers on them a green one, says Nvidia. I make sure I get 16gb of ram The price was decent.

what do you have in mind?

·
Gamer1
1 Posts
Go for a laptop with Core i5 / i7 processor with a dedicated graphics card and 16GB of RAM. For storage you must have 1TB HDD and SSD as boot drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at lenovo w/ i5 or i7, 8 gig, 1T, but seeing what you guys say I need at least 16 gig o RAM
IT gal at work is sold on Lenovo so that’s why I started there. Good prices and quality from what I hear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go with a Mac. There is no better option for video editing, imo, at the same price point.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Dell (for work). Wife has MacBook Pro, iMac and a MacBook. Dell simply does not measure up to a Mac (even a cheap Mac) for any sort of video work. Yes you could get a good Windows-based computer, but you will have to pay $$$ for one. Even a cheap Mac will edit a video without an issue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Go with a Mac. There is no better option for video editing, imo, at the same price point.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Dell (for work). Wife has MacBook Pro, iMac and a MacBook. Dell simply does not measure up to a Mac (even a cheap Mac) for any sort of video work. Yes you could get a good Windows-based computer, but you will have to pay $$$ for one. Even a cheap Mac will edit a video without an issue.

You are kidding, right ? What you wrote is based on your personal opinion not on facts. You can build a great editing windows based pc and still pay half the price of Mac.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are kidding, right ? What you wrote is based on your personal opinion not on facts. You can build a great editing windows based pc and still pay half the price of Mac.
Unlike you, I do not to know how to write facts. I could give you my opinion on facts and my interpretation of facts.

It is my interpretation that reading is not one of your strong points. I never claimed that you cannot build a great editing Windows-based computer. (Look at my post above)

As a side note, I have been working on both Mac and PC for many years. I was editing videos long before it became common-place. I am not simply speaking out of my a$$.

·
Registered
396 Posts
no need to start insulting mate. I will quote you this time:

"Yes you could get a good Windows-based computer, but you will have to pay $$$ for one. Even a cheap Mac will edit a video without an issue."

What you said makes no sense at all. You are saying this like Macs are the cheapest option available, while you can get a really good and NEW pc for half the price of some Mac.

Im not saying they arent any good, but you will pay at least double the price of regular PC with same specs , just because its a frikkin apple product.

Yes a cheap mac will edit video without an issue, but so will any consumer pc on the market out there, it will just take longer time to render and export.

·
Registered
11 Posts
no need to start insulting mate. I will quote you this time:

"Yes you could get a good Windows-based computer, but you will have to pay $$$ for one. Even a cheap Mac will edit a video without an issue."

What you said makes no sense at all. You are saying this like Macs are the cheapest option available, while you can get a really good and NEW pc for half the price of some Mac.

Im not saying they arent any good, but you will pay at least double the price of regular PC with same specs , just because its a frikkin apple product.

Yes a cheap mac will edit video without an issue, but so will any consumer pc on the market out there, it will just take longer time to render and export.
Ding ding ding ding. At least we have one agreement. To the second part of this statement, I would add "sometimes not at all". Ask me how I know.

Macs dominate in any field that is graphic intensive. That should, I think, speak volumes. But I will let the OP look that up himself.

By the way, when you say "same specs" you mean only the hardware, right? I see that you like to exaggerate, but hardware is only a part of the equation. Mac operating system (OS X) has been free to download since 2013. Everyone seems to assume (in my opinion, correctly) that Windows will soon be subscription-based. Apple office suite comes free with any new Mac. MS office suite have already become subscription-based. There also have been studies done that show that people upgrade Macs less frequently than PCs. Show me your calculation that factors in all that. I would not even touch the subjective frustration, etc. My wife used to work at a research institute where every researcher was provided both a Mac and a PC. Nobody (at least at her group) who used both preferred a PC.

·
Registered
396 Posts
lets agree that we disagree with each other.

i work at IT industry and me and my coleagues have strongly different opinion about whole apple thing. No , windows is not going to be subscription based any time soon. Software is totally different thing and there are always free alternatives , like openoffice for example. Just because those researchers you mention liked Mac more, doesnt neccessarily mean a thing, it could be just that software they needed was better ported to that OS or that it was simply easier to operate overal.

Apple has openly been saying that their main aim is to provide a simple devices that are easy to use , that will merge with your everday life, that dont need any complicated configuration or maintanance etc. They are simply making electronics for dummies. Thats why Iphone is so popular. Thats why their products are such hits.

We can continue this discussion for ages and nothing will change, u like apple, i dont like apple. If OP wants versatile system that will do more than just edit videos, but will allow him to play any game he wants, to upgrade his system in long run , to truly make it his Personal Computer, he will go for a PC. If he has the money and cant be bothered, he will get a Mac. Just stop telling people Mac is better, because you have to consider other factors like price and limitations that come with each system. they have their strong and weak points. a Mac is good, but so is any PC in that price range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So my experience with a group of researchers (actually, it's more than one) preferring Mac does not mean anything whereas your experience with a specific IT department does? You are kidding, right (in case you've forgotten, that was in your initial post). -- that was meant to be funny, but might not come across that way, haha.

Both Mac and Windows are designed for dummies. Otherwise, we will all be programming in the basic machine language. Mac just does it in a more slick way. There are some programmers who prefer Mac for its UNIX core. Yes, they left that UNIX core for the dummies. (my nephew, a computer science major, switched for that)

I do agree with your point regarding games. Game developers always seem to concentrate on Windows first. But if the OP were a serious gamer, he would benefit from getting a rather expensive PC . . . now we come to a full circle, sort of.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i highly doubt OP is even checking this thread :D

·
Administrator
9,730 Posts
Looking at lenovo w/ i5 or i7, 8 gig, 1T, but seeing what you guys say I need at least 16 gig o RAM
IT gal at work is sold on Lenovo so that’s why I started there. Good prices and quality from what I hear.
I have a lenova T series as well a Flex series. this is a Powerful machine that companies use. as well Mac where a member edits on for a major Company. I am sure that will do just fine I edited on the Lenova flex and it did good, for me while my Acer was not used.

FISH

So did you decide on the machine to get?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, OP says “fun read”
Editing vacation videos is all I’m looking for, I’m not a pro.
Not even sure how much I’ll be doing so since I’m not able to dive more than a couple of times a year.
Always heard Mac was way to go if graphics involved but lots a money for occasional use.
Interesting feedback but desktop not my route since I play with this stuff before I go to sleep, from bed.
Looking for used Mac and/or decent Win unit with mega memory and processor, just didn’t know if any of y’all agreed with my IT friend re. Lenovo because of price. Was also wondering what you thought were necessary specs (memory, processor, etc) for my wish list.
No hurry, will wait till I stumble over the ‘right’ one but seriously appreciate your input.
Xo, OP

·
Registered
396 Posts
what a surprise :)
One important thing here, you say you need it only couple of times a year, meaning you arent going to do this professionaly, which means there is no point in getting a "video editing setup".

Just get something with decent stats and you are good to go. Who cares that your export will take 2 hours instead of 20minutes. I used to edit on old netbook with no GPU and only 2gb of ram for some time.

Whatever route you go, you will want at least 8GB of RAM and as powerful processor as u can find. Graphics is not that important if you are going to do simple edits but having at least 2gb helps.

·
Administrator
9,730 Posts
Youtube has their own editing. and if you also search in any Search engine for Online video editing. all you need is a way to upload the clip nothing more.

and you are set. on that note:
Pro or amature have fun with what you do, you also have the most powerful tool the Smartphone and App what GoPro is about being Mobile.

FISH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, OP says “fun read”
Editing vacation videos is all I’m looking for, I’m not a pro.
Not even sure how much I’ll be doing so since I’m not able to dive more than a couple of times a year.
Always heard Mac was way to go if graphics involved but lots a money for occasional use.
Interesting feedback but desktop not my route since I play with this stuff before I go to sleep, from bed.
Looking for used Mac and/or decent Win unit with mega memory and processor, just didn’t know if any of y’all agreed with my IT friend re. Lenovo because of price. Was also wondering what you thought were necessary specs (memory, processor, etc) for my wish list.
No hurry, will wait till I stumble over the ‘right’ one but seriously appreciate your input.
Xo, OP
For computer editing (and what that entails), especially for your case, I would still recommend a Mac.

If your editing involves only cutting and piecing together clips, and you do this only a few times a year, you may not even need a computer. A nice DVD recorder may serve your purpose. (I've done this before--and the process is pretty smooth).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.