GoPro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a GoPro Hero2 for a while but have never done any video editing. I'm shopping for a laptop or desktop computer to accomplish this. Just basic internet, email and nothing special, in addition to video editing. GoPro gives the minimum specs for what a computer needs to run GoPro Studio editing software but that describes tons of choices. Can anyone recommend a PC they have that works to edit GoPro well? I want something that runs smooth, transfers easily and at a reasonable price. I do not want to get a super computer that I don't need nor get upsold by Best Buy. Can you recommend a better place to buy it? Like Amazon or something. Can I get away with a $500 machine or do I need to spend $800-$1000?

Perhaps you've used a certain PC to edit your Hero2 and I will just go buy one of those. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks for the help!
Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had a GoPro Hero2 for a while but have never done any video editing. I'm shopping for a laptop or desktop computer to accomplish this. Just basic internet, email and nothing special, in addition to video editing. GoPro gives the minimum specs for what a computer needs to run GoPro Studio editing software but that describes tons of choices. Can anyone recommend a PC they have that works to edit GoPro well? I want something that runs smooth, transfers easily and at a reasonable price. I do not want to get a super computer that I don't need nor get upsold by Best Buy. Can you recommend a better place to buy it? Like Amazon or something. Can I get away with a $500 machine or do I need to spend $800-$1000?

Perhaps you've used a certain PC to edit your Hero2 and I will just go buy one of those. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks for the help!
Jason
I have a Macbook Pro 13'' 8gb ram(Custom) 2012 and that works smooth.
Just did a quick look at bestbuy
Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/laptop-computers/pc-laptops/pcmcat247400050000.c?id=pcmcat247400050000
website and pretty much every laptop there can handle GoPro studio and advanced editing software like Sony Vegas and Adobe programs. So I think you'll be fine with any of those laptops.

So yes you can easily get away with a $500 dollar machine nowadays. Proof? I have one of those listed on that site that I bought on Black Friday.

EDIT: Here's the Minimum Requirements for GoPro Studio
Code:
http://gopro.com/support/articles/what-are-the-minimum-system-requirements-for-gopro-studio
From this you can see most laptops are well above 2gb ram and they're CPU's are standard, which is good enough.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Toshiba runs on a Intel Core i5 processor and 6 GB of RAM. I use both Windows Movie Maker and the GoPro Studio to edit with and have had no real problems. There are a good many good editing programs out there. I'm retired and on fixed income so there is not a lot of $ available to me to get the better software.
A $500-$700 PC or Mac (not sure about Mac for that price) should be fine. Look closely at the processor and RAM, those two things are the most important.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Old Laptop for a new GP

I have a 3 year old Acer i7 with 6gb of RAM, and NVIDIA GEFORCE 540M and just recently bought myself a Hero3+ Silver

Had no problem with GoPro Studio (except one time when one of the RAM modules came loose somehow and I ended up with only 2gb RAM for a few days until I figured it out). I guess the more RAM the better because I experienced choppy video when I had only 2gb available.

Video and photo settings used are 1080/30 and 10mp for timelapse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts