GoPro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone using the Hero 9 or 10 as a run and gun video camera, and is using the Media Mod, and changing batteries, will know just how badly designed the Media Mod is.. You have to disassemble your rig, use pliers to undo the screw if its tight, flip in the legs etc..

I saw this idea on this YT channel, (Papaw Got A GoPro) so I can't take credit, it's all his, but it's a great idea, and it took me around 30 minutes to make a similar bracket with a bit of alloy, and some parts I had in the bag. It mounts the camera and Media Mod using the side cold shoe mount. I added another cold shoe to keep the same functionality.

YT Channel

With this bracket you can remove the battery/camera without the need to do anymore than open the Media Mod door.. I have a few images below. Take a look, and also check out the YT channel mentioned earlier in the post.

My Channel http://www.jjsadv.com

Automotive tire Audio equipment Bicycle handlebar Gas Office supplies
Digital camera Camera Point-and-shoot camera Reflex camera Camera lens
Camera Product Camera lens Digital camera Video camera
Output device Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Cable

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
While its good to see these DIY workarounds, I still feel a good compact camera makes a better (and MUCH cheaper) vlogging camera then a GoPro, which is an action/POV camera at heart.
All GoPro have done is add the vlogging aspect as a way to generate more sales to a different market sector, and people fall for it hook, line and sinker....!

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
I do not use mine that way but I use it as a vlog the Module makes the camera bulkier, and really takes about a few seconds to take out of the case.

Nicely made, I see it as again more bulk and added weight. why could you not just use the hot shoe alone without the bracket?

Like Ifti said, gopro really suckered people in believing this is the best camera when they taken out the auto low light, and started hiding the off button and no slow mo profile my observations, careful how you read their marketing schemes. been that way with gopro since day one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a quick video of me making the "Papaw Got A GoPro" GoPro Media Mod Mount.. The Mount that alls easy access to the battery and SD Card.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While its good to see these DIY workarounds, I still feel a good compact camera makes a better (and MUCH cheaper) vlogging camera then a GoPro, which is an action/POV camera at heart.
All GoPro have done is add the vlogging aspect as a way to generate more sales to a different market sector, and people fall for it hook, line and sinker....!
Ist the stabilisation that kills everything else.. And you can get decent audio with the media mod or adapter.. Most compacts you have no external audio option. And the ones that do are equally as expensive.. And then they can handle the environment.. at least for what I do.. I have sony compacts, and would think to pull them out half the time, they wouldn't last an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts