GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Casey Christopher.

I am going to be making videos with my gopro hero2HD.... um... yeah.. probably just like everyone else here. ;)

Here are a few inquiries that I have right off.

Since the gopro says 1080p at 30fps... when usually any 1080p is 24fps I assume some conversion will have to be made for
@ 24fps but... without a time shift/slowdown of playback. I just want it to strobe like 24fps does even though the video is @ 30fps.

so the question is...

1a. Do I just drop the 30fps files into a premier timeline @24fps and it will do the conversion during render?
1b. Would it be better to convert the native 30fps files into 24 fps before editing?

----------
a note : I remember back in the day we used to use some software in AE just to get video to look like film. It would do the 30fps to 24fps... forgot what it was called. ... even though it was still actually playing at 29.97 it just looked like film and strobes like film. Go pro seems to have enough resolution and saturation to look like film so at this point its just the film strobe I am looking for at 24fps without speeding up or slowing down the video.. 5 seconds in real life is played back at 24fps and is still 5 seconds of real life time even though the source is 30 fps or more. In this case its a reverse of 3:2 pulldown.
-----------

It doesn't seem like there is a button for jumping into slow mode (120fps) from regular speeds (30fps) while recording, I guess I imagined the slowmo being activated by pressing a button when I saw the demo video. Like say from 30fps to 120fps while recording. So I am guessing that if that doesn't exist that any slow motion shifts are due to shooting the whole sequence in 120fps mode and doing the slowdown in editing by converting the 120fps to 24-fps-30-fps so that there is no slow down effect when played back and then playing the 120 fps @ 24fps/30fps hence causing the slow motion to take effect. So the question is....

2. Is there a way to jump FPS modes while recording or is it all done in the edit?
-------------------------------------------------

3. Do the mp4s playback very well natively or do you guys convert them in general before editing like with realplayer or quicktime pro?

I had to do a conversion of the videos from my android htc incredible into mp4 since they didn't play very well in the premier timeline.

Thanks and hopefully I'll have some neat stuff to show soon.

Casey Christopher

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SO I answered my own

SO I answered my own questions after a while. I figured I would put them here in case anyone else was looking with the search boolean.

Answer to 1a and 1b.

No need to convert the files as they play native in Premier Pro cs 5.5. You simply set the desired fps on the project timeline, in this case 24fps.

The 60fps 120 fps or 30 fps all play at their native play speed in the timeline. Then if I want to slow mo the footage I can create a copy of the file and set a new interpret footage FPS range like 24 fps. Then the 60 or 120 fps footage plays in slo motion. No conversion was necessary. Premier just plays the fps as you set it inside the desired project fps timeline.

Answer to 2.

There is no way to change fps modes while recording live with the camera as far as I could find. So all real time to slow motion changes happen in an editing application.

Answer to 3

There is some crossover here with answer 1. Since Premier plays the files natively with no conversion needed (unlike the android video format) there is no need for conversion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.