GoPro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get smooth footage on my new GoPro Hero 11. Seems like hypersmooth stabilisation isn't working propperly on my GoPro 11. Or am I using wrong settings? I use locked shutter speed (at 1/48 when 24fps or 1/120 when 60fps) and locked ISO on 100, I'm using ND filters as well if needed. I've tried different hypersmooth stabilisation levels, but it just doesn't handle it even with Autoboost on. I film mostly handheld GoPro mounted on the pole or tripod. Footage is shaky even riding a bike on an uneven surface. Do I have wrong settings on my camera or is it something wrong with the camera software? I just get useless footage with my new GoPro 11, please help me find the solution to this problem... Link to example footage posted below:

· Registered
591 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice shots btw. :)

Well, looks really strange, never seen such shaky pics on a modern GoPro.
Try to do a complete reset, load newest firmware and make some shots in full automatic mode - maybe check out another SD card.
If this brings no better results then I guess your cam doesn’t work correctly and you can complain the cam.

Ciao Rob

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer :)

After numerous testing with different settings I came to a conclusion that digital stabilisation fails stabilising video with motion blur. I usually set the shutter speed of double the frame rate and lock the ISO value at 100, in addition I use ND filters to get correct exposure. These setting gives a nice motion blur to the footage, when using mechanical stabilisation/gimbal. But thats not the case with digital stabilisation as motion blur probably causes digital stabilisation to fail and I only get useless shaky footage. Everything changes when I set the shutter speed to auto and raise ISO max value to 800 or more, thats when Hypersmooth starts doing its job properly. Sacrificing motion blur for video stability seems the way to go with the GoPro. However I start getting grainy footage on a dull/cloudy day when max ISO value is set to 800, so I'll try keeping max ISO value at 400 in future. Probably, automatic shutter speed should help stabilisation do its work whatever max ISO value will be.

· Administrator
7,627 Posts
try without a nd filter, you're telling the camera its lower light and that is the Jittering you may be getting , these cameras love bright light not dark light

· Registered
3 Posts
I can't get smooth footage on my new GoPro Hero 11. Seems like hypersmooth stabilisation isn't working propperly on my GoPro 11. Or am I using wrong settings? I use locked shutter speed (at 1/48 when 24fps or 1/120 when 60fps) and locked ISO on 100, I'm using ND filters as well if needed. I've tried different hypersmooth stabilisation levels, but it just doesn't handle it even with Autoboost on. I film mostly handheld GoPro mounted on the pole or tripod. Footage is shaky even riding a bike on an uneven surface. Do I have wrong settings on my camera or is it something wrong with the camera software? I just get useless footage with my new GoPro 11, please help me find the solution to this problem... Link to example footage posted below:
Happened to me one random day on a GoPro Hero 10 Black. Its Software issue. Had just updated the camera, was at the mountain in broad daylight for a walk, i just picked 4K 50 fps Max stab. other default settings, and it just was shaky as ****. i did a full reset and it fixed it. Comeback if you fixed it but just resetting the default settings in camera.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts