GoPro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered but I'm trying to livestream multiple cameras wirelessly including on board footage from a superkart event that's taking place on a 5 km car racing circuit. I'm trying to figure out if The GoPro Max (or any GoPro for that matter) is capable of sending its footage remotely via wifi over such a distance etc back to my computer at Race control where I can direct the footage from different cameras.

Cheers

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Considering the GoPro App's range is between 35-50 feet, depending on the wireless interference in your area, I would highly doubt you will get a consistent wifi stream over the distances you mention - for that you would need something like DJI's occusync technology.... the GoPro just isn't designed for use that way - its a 'strap on and shoot' type camera. The WiFi should only be considered as a means to stream live footage just to line up a shot, and then to change the odd setting before starting capture.

Also bear in mind that streaming of video wirelessly (even at close range) is a battery killer. You will most likely have a dead battery before completing the first lap!

·
Administrator
8,990 Posts
Not a pro:

Gopro requires a smartphone, the GoPro app, and a Hotspot to stream one device at a time, if its Youtube, you will require 1000 subscribers.

If you are looking to broadcast multiple cameras, HDMI output is required with video transmitters.

Highest resolution to stream via the app, 720P.

You are best to find a race site that is doing what you're asking, and see if anyone has done one. they'll be a 1st poster and off they go .

Reactions: Onion

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Good point by @Fish
You could use a wireless HDMI Transmitter - so connect the GoPro one end, and your output screen the other.
It would get quite expensive having a HDMI transmitter for each GoPro though.......

·
Administrator
8,990 Posts
25mw before an Amature radio license is needed for Flying.

try here, to get some info Racing Camera Systems - Wireless video Cameras

they talk about a hero 7, and well hero 8 and hero 9 , imagine all the extra's you got to buy.

Please do return with your resolution, we all want to hear the outcome

Reactions: Onion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Considering the GoPro App's range is between 35-50 feet, depending on the wireless interference in your area, I would highly doubt you will get a consistent wifi stream over the distances you mention - for that you would need something like DJI's occusync technology.... the GoPro just isn't designed for use that way - its a 'strap on and shoot' type camera. The WiFi should only be considered as a means to stream live footage just to line up a shot, and then to change the odd setting before starting capture.

Also bear in mind that streaming of video wirelessly (even at close range) is a battery killer. You will most likely have a dead battery before completing the first lap!
Thank you. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be meeting with the IT people at the race track soon to find out more about how they go about these things as well. I've ditched an entire wifi setup as it's just not feasible. However, I'm still going to see if I can get on board footage to work. It may be a while until you hear from me. Let's see how things go.

Cheers

·
Administrator
8,990 Posts
When on forums and all, these questions been asked, one member could not hook their camera outside the car, reasons never mentioned, common sense, fly off hit a windshield and an accident. so like said check with your track, they got rules and I am sure they got your Solution as well

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be meeting with the IT people at the race track soon to find out more about how they go about these things as well. I've ditched an entire wifi setup as it's just not feasible. However, I'm still going to see if I can get on board footage to work. It may be a while until you hear from me. Let's see how things go.

Cheers
Report back! I'm interested to see how you get on!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When on forums and all, these questions been asked, one member could not hook their camera outside the car, reasons never mentioned, common sense, fly off hit a windshield and an accident. so like said check with your track, they got rules and I am sure they got your Solution as well
Yep. We secure our cameras with mounts and tie wire for safety, including anything else that needs to go with the camera. It's part of the rules when you race and they check the cameras too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered but I'm trying to livestream multiple cameras wirelessly including on board footage from a superkart event that's taking place on a 5 km car racing circuit. I'm trying to figure out if The GoPro Max (or any GoPro for that matter) is capable of sending its footage remotely via wifi over such a distance etc back to my computer at Race control where I can direct the footage from different cameras.

Cheers

How did you go

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for the advice. I haven't had the chance to try it yet unfortunately. Also I ran out of time and changed my live stream plan - with some assistance, using OBS, I used the CCTV cameras around the 5km circuit to film the racing, adding live commentary with it. I don't know if I'm allowed to copy and paste the link of the race here? It allowed the competitors and their families around the country to follow the racing. It would have been nice to have a GoPro feed to switch to for parts of the action but I need time and money 🤑to experiment and work it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If people are interested in seeing some on board footage from that weekend there's a short video on the Superkarts Australia facebook page taken using a Go Pro (Sorry, I don't know which Go Pro they used):

I'm interested to know what people think of the footage? It might give some context to my problem as well. The circuits usually 3-5km long (this one was 5km), and the kart is doing approx 240kmh at the end of the start/finish straight, 0-100kmh in approx 2.5-3 seconds, it's quite bumpy because there's no suspension and the g-forces are up to 3.5G laterally. Ie these things are seriously fast so I wonder how a camera would go picking up signals etc. I thought about using mobile broadband (Huawei) attached to the kart, but again moving so quickly I don't know if it would maintain its network signal? Then there's the issues of electrical interference from the ignition - the motor sits right next to the driver. I don't know if it will cause any problems (a metal casing could solve this I guess).

Cheers again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts