GoPro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Is it possible to rotate the GoPro's actual camera?

I would like to use my GoPro in a portrait position but film landscape. Could you do this?

The easiest solution I can think of is to simply rotate the actual camera inside the GoPro, if you have another solution I would like to hear it too.

If this changes anything I'm talking about the 4 Black

Thanks! :x

·
Administrator
9,286 Posts
Correct by modifying the sensor

Best option is to film in a 4:3AR and then use the editor. why th Hero 4 Session now becomes the better in a way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct by modifying the sensor

Best option is to film in a 4:3AR and then use the editor. why th Hero 4 Session now becomes the better in a way.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, the first option is to just rotate the sensor, and the second? What should I do in the editor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I may know what you mean, since in 4:3 the difference between height and width isn't as pronounced it won't look too bad.

·
Administrator
9,286 Posts
the camera uses a sensor and that is what makes the video landscape for the gopro, You will need to rotate that.

in editing if you shoot in 4:3 not 16:9 you will get a more square shot and can rotate in video editing, I add titles to the sides. I may even stretch it out as well so I can be zooming in some to take away that side ways video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! I think I will rotate the sensor for a better look. Do you know how hard this would be?

·
Administrator
9,286 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the help! I think I will rotate the sensor for a better look. Do you know how hard this would be?
If you don't know the answer to that, I highly doubt you are ready to do this. It might not even be possible inside the body of the camera anyway, plus you will certainly invalidate your warranty.
The suggestion to use the video editor to "shape" your end product is the wise and practical one, and it costs you nothing with no risk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't know the answer to that, I highly doubt you are ready to do this.
The suggestion to use the video editor to "shape" your end product is the wise and practical one, and it costs you nothing with no risk.
Yeah, after watching the video of the guy looking inside the GoPro 4 silver, I realised that there is nearly no way to do this without huge risk.

So I think I will have to resort to recording at 4K in a wider view and trimming the video to 1080p.

Thanks for all the help! I don't think this thread needs to go on as my question has been answered so I will update the title and the thread can be locked.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have had several of my Gopro cameras apart for repairs. During the repairs on two of my cameras I removed the sensor to change lenses. It (the sensor) is shaped uniquely for the camera body. The ribbon cable that is attached to the sensor can only be placed in a certain orientation. I think you are S.O.L. on turning it.

As the others have said, you can use the black bars on the sides for adding notations about the photos. Or, you can crop concentrating on the most interesting part of the photo. The latter is will work but it cause a lot of detail loss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts