GoPro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 3 GoPro Hero 2's, and 2 GoPro Hero 4's. I am conducting landslide research in Nepal, and will be attaching the GoPro's to the side of a vehicle. The plan is to use the timelapse function to take photos every 10 seconds on the front, sides and rear of the vehicle, and maybe have one GoPro running a video. I need accurate GPS locations of each photo taken 10 seconds apart. What is the best way to do this?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Jwatty,

Welcome to the forum. You will need a separate gps tracker, a way to save the track and also you will need to superimpose the gps track onto the video with some sort of overlay. The tracker will give you the entire track and you can save it as a .gpx file.

What you need to do is sync the GoPro camera time with GPS time. You can do this in the goPro settings. Page 46 of the manual. The GPS will sync its time with the satellites above and their atomic clocks so using the time off your GPS unit is best. Be sure to have a good satellite lock before syncing the times.

Once synced a date/time stamp will be in the meta data of the photo. You can use the tracklog from your GPS unit to add a lat/long to the photo. Garmin Basecamp has a feature built in to geotag photos and might work well with video but no guarantee.

In short you will put your photos in a common folder in your computer. Open Basecamp and download your track. Double click on the track then go into the track settings menu and select 'Match Photos with Track". Basecamp will take care of the rest.

Warning this is a steep learning curve when working with Garmin Basecamp. You can download a stable copy basecamp HERE for free.

What you may consider is doing a photo every km or so and then use your geo tracked .gpx file to match that photo along your track. You could then edit in a photo with the location tagged and transition to the video and then another geo tag and so forth. Hope this made sense.

Lots of survey companies are now doing UAV surveying with the use of a Gopro however, lens changes are needed to insure less distortion from fisheye and more accurate tag matching to video. You should probably use your google fu and google up geo-tagged gopro video.

Hope some of this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts