GoPro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want to buy e new Gopro,
the use would be mainly by road and cros motorcycles, sometimes for snorkeling / vacation,
I need to register one hour or more time in low resolution ( 1080 or 2.7k ). May i have overheat issue with 10 ?

Thank a lot

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
Hi all,

I want to buy e new Gopro,
the use would be mainly by road and cros motorcycles, sometimes for snorkeling / vacation,
I need to register one hour or more time in low resolution ( 1080 or 2.7k ). May i have overheat issue with 10 ?

Thank a lot
Hero 9 would be your best bet less problems of overheating. same features but not double the frame rate. are you after double fps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the answer... The double fps isn't important, but for 50 euro I prefer the 10, for best horizontal levelling and the better touch, but ok if I can have this problem o will take 9 thanks again

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
Hero 10 is an awesome camera, as long as you are not going to film non stop

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hero 9 would be your best bet less problems of overheating. same features but not double the frame rate. are you after double fps?
OMG stop telling people to buy the Hero 9 over the Hero 10, why do you people keep doing that, the heat issue was there in every GoPro since the 6 ot 7 onwards, BUT stop this rediculous stupidity, the over heating is mostly just in the 5.3k mode, more so the 5.3k/60p mode, and it is perfectly fine for short recordings up to about 15 minutes.

The 4k/60p has even less issues with heating, and 2.7k the camera will never overheat, i can vouch for that, and if anyone had the heat issue in 4k/60p or 2.7k then they must be using the camera wrong.

Also, the camera will not overheat if you are using it on a bike or a car, or in a situation where there is some cooler air flowing near the camera, and every test has proved this.

I am sick of reading people complaining anout the heat issue, if you record less than 15 or 20 minutes recording time, it will not over heat.

Thank you for the answer... The double fps isn't important, but for 50 euro I prefer the 10, for best horizontal levelling and the better touch, but ok if I can have this problem o will take 9 thanks again
No don't listen to the rubbish posted about getting the Hero 9 instead, if you want to record 1080p or 2.7k then the 10 will be absolutely perfect, especially for your intended use, the 10 will never overheat in those recording modes,

Please don't go backwards, get the newest camera you can.

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
I would also get the Hero 10 at this stage.
In your use case you should have better airflow, so although the camera may overheat at highest settings, you will get more recording time due to better airflow and water cooling etc - considering your plan of capturing lower resolutions you will not even hit the overheating threshold at all!

·
Registered
517 Posts
agree with the rest , if you are deciding between 9 or 10 then 10 is better choice in all aspects.

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
@glenpinn you have options, as while they are still on the table and available that be the choice of the member to decide. By all means go to gopro pull the Hero 9 off hte market, and just brainwash people to buy the Hero's latest model.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@glenpinn you have options, as while they are still on the table and available that be the choice of the member to decide. By all means go to gopro pull the Hero 9 off hte market, and just brainwash people to buy the Hero's latest model.
I am not brain washing anyone to buy the Hero 10, i responded to the Thread owners question in a very honest and legitimate way, the recording mode that he wants to record in (1080p or 2.7k) will never overheat no matter which camera he uses, it will record for very long period.

Even the other 2 posters after me agree with the Thread owner to buy the Hero 10.

Even if he buys the Hero 10 and recorded in the 5.3k mode, the camera will not overheat and stop recording until at least 15 or 20 minutes, IF the camera is held in the hand and not recording in a cool place.

I am sick of reading all this hogwash about the over heating issues with the GoPro, very little people will record in 5.3k-60p or 4k/60p for longer than 20 minutes, so these people don't have to worry about overheating.

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
we all gots opinions

·
Registered
79 Posts
we all gots opinions
Opinions are great when they are valid opinions, mine were valid reasons why the thread owner should buy the Hero 10, others agree.

I don't believe that your opinion to buy the Hero 9 for this person was valid, you offered no valid reason for him to buy the 9 over the 10.

Even if he recorded for longer than 20 minutes in 5.3k mode, the 9 will still overheat after 20 minutes, so the Hero 10 will still be the better option.

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
I suggest before buying t ocheck out all options, and sleep on it, then in the Morning go for the purchase, but let me say this if you are looking for that perfect camera, it's not GoPro end of hte discussion for me I know what gopro can do .

·
Registered
79 Posts
I suggest before buying t ocheck out all options, and sleep on it, then in the Morning go for the purchase, but let me say this if you are looking for that perfect camera, it's not GoPro end of hte discussion for me I know what gopro can do .
I still find it so ironic that you are an Administrator in this forum, yet you support other cameras more.

You seriously can't still suggest that any of the other Action Cams on the market can seriously compete with the new Hero 10, you know they can't and so do it.

I also want to suggest that every other action camera also has heat issues to some degree, so why so many people still bash the GoPro for this heat issue is beyond me, especially when these same people do not record videos more than a few minutes.

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
I still find it so ironic that you are an Administrator in this forum, yet you support other cameras more.

You seriously can't still suggest that any of the other Action Cams on the market can seriously compete with the new Hero 10, you know they can't and so do it.

I also want to suggest that every other action camera also has heat issues to some degree, so why so many people still bash the GoPro for this heat issue is beyond me, especially when these same people do not record videos more than a few minutes.
thank you.

If you want a camera like said take some time before making wrong mistake.

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts

When a product has captured the market, or is regarded as the 'market leader', setting the 'benchmark' etc, people will always look for the tiniest thing against it and blow it out of proportion.
You are correct; overheating action cameras is not a new concept, and it's been completely blown out of proportion in general.

The GoPro is a powerhouse in a tiny package. When recording at such high resolutions that chip is going to BAKE, and the small frame offers very limited, if any cooling. So of course it will overheat. It's inevitable. The trick is to maintain cool airflow as much as possible - look at all of GoPro's promotional content - most of it has the GoPro used as it is designed to be used - capturing POV shots in a moving environment where airflow is maintained.

I still believe anything extra - using the camera for vlogging, for instance - are all afterthoughts. The camera isn't really designed this way. GoPro just did what they had to do to generate extra sales in a market that was starting to boom (vlogging), which is what any company looking for profit would do, hence the media mod was born........ yet if the camera is marketed this way then it should still perform this way too......it just means getting that right balance, but as mentioned, most only capture smaller clips at higher resolutions. Why would you even need to capture 5.3k for more then 20-30 mins in the first place - not only are files sizes huge, but its a pain to edit a continues huge section of video.......and lets not get started on the high spec computer you'd need too!...

·
Registered
79 Posts
When a product has captured the market, or is regarded as the 'market leader', setting the 'benchmark' etc, people will always look for the tiniest thing against it and blow it out of proportion.
You are correct; overheating action cameras is not a new concept, and it's been completely blown out of proportion in general.

The GoPro is a powerhouse in a tiny package. When recording at such high resolutions that chip is going to BAKE, and the small frame offers very limited, if any cooling. So of course it will overheat. It's inevitable. The trick is to maintain cool airflow as much as possible - look at all of GoPro's promotional content - most of it has the GoPro used as it is designed to be used - capturing POV shots in a moving environment where airflow is maintained.

I still believe anything extra - using the camera for vlogging, for instance - are all afterthoughts. The camera isn't really designed this way. GoPro just did what they had to do to generate extra sales in a market that was starting to boom (vlogging), which is what any company looking for profit would do, hence the media mod was born........ yet if the camera is marketed this way then it should still perform this way too......it just means getting that right balance, but as mentioned, most only capture smaller clips at higher resolutions. Why would you even need to capture 5.3k for more then 20-30 mins in the first place - not only are files sizes huge, but its a pain to edit a continues huge section of video..
Great post, absolutely 100% correct, this whole Hero 10 heat issue has always been there in previous models to so extent, depending on the recording mode in each of those cameras, naturally the higher the recording mode that is introduced, the quicker the camera will over heat and cut off, and environmental conditions also come into play, it isn't a problem, and GoPro will not even attempt to fix it.

and lets not get started on the high spec computer you'd need too!...
The computer Specs required for video editing all depends on what type of editing you want to do, the format of the recorded video from the camera, and the output format that you are going to export to.

I do video editing on a semi professional level now days, and i currently use a 2.5 year old 17" 8 core Metabox laptop with Nvidia GTX-1080 6gb dedicated Graphics and 32gb Ram, and i also have 2x 1tb Crucial P5 NVMe M.2 SSD'S for the editing, and i have a 2tb internal SSD for exporting my edited files to.

I have a 27" Dell Ultrasharp 4k monitor connected while the laptop sits on my desk.

These days with 4k video, you just need to make sure that you have the right Processor and Ram for editing the 4k file on a timeline, and a high end graphics card is also recommended, and the fast NVMe SSD cards.

You can get a very decent high end laptop suitable for 4k editing for around us$1500 these days, if you are going to do high end video editing then it might be best to buy/build a high spec desktop Computer, which would cost you a lot more money.

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
Great post, absolutely 100% correct, this whole Hero 10 heat issue has always been there in previous models to so extent, depending on the recording mode in each of those cameras, naturally the higher the recording mode that is introduced, the quicker the camera will over heat and cut off, and environmental conditions also come into play, it isn't a problem, and GoPro will not even attempt to fix it.

The computer Specs required for video editing all depends on what type of editing you want to do, the format of the recorded video from the camera, and the output format that you are going to export to.

I do video editing on a semi professional level now days, and i currently use a 2.5 year old 17" 8 core Metabox laptop with Nvidia GTX-1080 6gb dedicated Graphics and 32gb Ram, and i also have 2x 1tb Crucial P5 NVMe M.2 SSD'S for the editing, and i have a 2tb internal SSD for exporting my edited files to.

I have a 27" Dell Ultrasharp 4k monitor connected while the laptop sits on my desk.

These days with 4k video, you just need to make sure that you have the right Processor and Ram for editing the 4k file on a timeline, and a high end graphics card is also recommended, and the fast NVMe SSD cards.

You can get a very decent high end laptop suitable for 4k editing for around us$1500 these days, if you are going to do high end video editing then it might be best to buy/build a high spec desktop Computer, which would cost you a lot more money.
Oh I moved across to OSX for editing - I just find Final Cut easier to use, although I'm not at professional level. Far from it! Just more YouTube type stuff with the few odd home videos thrown in!

I haven't hit any issues, and hopefully my current system will last out a few more years!
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
1TB SSD
32GB RAM
Auto switches graphics between the two chips it has:
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Editing drives are 2 OWC Thunderblades - both 8TB SSD RAID arrays.

Anyways, without derailing the thread even further, OP - bottom line is if you are new to GoPro the Hero 10 is a great investment. Otherwise the 7/8 are great too if you're on a budget!

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
I downgraded to a surface pro tablet, add a ssd portable drive or brydge keyboard. no issues in 5K at all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all ,

Thank's a lot to everybody for the help, At the end i bought hero10 i hope will be arrive today.
Let you know how it work's :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Far too many people have jumped on the overheating problems. It's needs to taken into context. Most digital cameras overheat when recording 4k over a period of times so irx just not the GoPro.

Have a watch of this which I think sums it up well

As to the OP, buy the 10, atm it includes a spare battery and twin charger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts